Notices
1987 - 1996 F150 & Larger F-Series Trucks 1987 - 1996 Ford F-150, F-250, F-350 and larger pickups - including the 1997 heavy-duty F250/F350+ trucks
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

compare 80-96 trucks to 73-79?

Search this Thread

Old 02-14-2010, 09:22 AM
bluesmobile
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
compare 80-96 trucks to 73-79?

Howdy all...am looking to invest in a truck again and would appreciate some comments as to the pros and cons of the "new" Ford trucks as compared to 73-79 dents (look ma - i learned a new word).

Looking for a daily driver/second vehicle with decent fuel economy (14 plus?), supercab, easy and cheap to work on, nice ride, decent seats (could upgrade i guess - wife has bad back). 4x4 would be nice though not essential. Need to be able to tow tandem axle trailer with vehicle or firewood loaded. I drive moderate with occasion bursts of red neck aggression. More power the better so long as doesn't kill in fuel and repairs. Would be willing to do some mods to get power/fuel economy etc so long as mods not too costly.

From what i know (don't wait up) or have read recently -

*dentsides cons.
- don't have real power steering (at least on 4x4) until last years (77-79?)
- early ones have drum brakes in front which really suck on 4x4
- only bench seats
- no fuel injection
- fuel economy not best - no o/d in autos, only 4 speed in manuals

*dentside pros:
- i like their looks
- less prone to rust ?
- heavier built - bodies more solid - more metal
- hold their value
- older tech can be easier to work on

*80-96 cons:
- lighter bodies and more plastic
- tend to rust bad
- more computer stuff and emmisions stuff
- some mods can be real limited or costly
- auto tranny's dont seem as tough and manuals may have weird gearing

*80-96 pros:
- better fuel economy?
- fuel injection
- more comfortable with power options and bucket seats
- supecab maybe a little bigger with better seats
- parts maybe easier to find?
- brakes could be better (certainly as compared to drum fronts)

I've owned a couple of 69's which i really liked but now want a supercab (or think i do), had a mid 70's supercab with 460/c6 that i could never get over 10 mpg with, a 72/74 reg cab beater, an 84 Van 15 passenger with 6.9 diesel/c6 (great machine), and then skipped to 98 E350 with 5.4 which i found "tinny" built, and way too complicated to fix economically.

Trucks i can go look at right now include several late 80's to 95, plus mostly f250's in dentsides with one 76 f150 reg cab 4x4 with 400 and a 75 supercab with 460.

excuse me for lumping in the 80-86's here - thought i'd start here and maybe later post in their forum - besides you guys probably know lots about them too, right?

thanks..

Ford hunter

Old 02-14-2010, 10:07 AM
skyfox10
Posting Guru
if your planning on towing, and you want to get 14+ mpg unloaded, I would say get a truck with a 351, they pull hard (not like a 460) but when maintained and not driven too hard, are capable of getting 14mpg highway.

As far as the auto tranny's. I think that they are geared just fine. I've had two E4OD transmissions (230k on one and 150k on the other), neither have needed any repair. A lot of guys here prefer the manual, but both hold up well.

There are some relatively cheep mods you can do on these trucks for decent power gains, but there are limitations if you have a speed density system. Most guys find that long tube headers and free flowing exhaust are first on their list, usually heads & intake aren't far behind. and if you're ambitious, a cam.

Old 02-14-2010, 11:23 AM
Filmy
Junior User
You've started quite a pros and cons list there. I've never heard of the older gen trucks called "dentsides". I laughed at that one...

Yeah, for mileage and reliability you should stay to the '80s and up. The older trucks are great ('67-'72 will always be my favorite "pickup truck", so I agree with you on looks). I don't like the look of the late '80s grilles, though. Early '90s are plentiful and surprisingly not expensive, even in decent shape. They're safer too. Yeah, thinner steel and rust issues depending on where you get yours from, but nicer and more comfortable inside too. If you can find a '96 with MAF (mass air) you will have lots of power upgrade options.

The "dents", as you call 'em, can be rusty too, and the rust isn't worth fixing if so (unless someone's doing a restoration), and they're usually pretty dinged up from years of proper use. If you can find a nice one it won't be cheap. I'd love to have a '75 short bed lifted 4X4 with a 460 just for fun. Mean-looking machines, those!

A 250 or 4X4 is a little much for daily driving, with a lot of extra weight to haul around if you don't need it. Even a 5.0 should be enough for you. The straight-6s are less desirable (making them cheaper in resale) but they are bulletproof engines with lots of low-end torque.

I had great power steering and A/C on my last '72 F-100. The 390 4bbl about killed me on gas but I just loved driving it, and I miss it. GL on your search. Let us know what you get.

Old 02-14-2010, 11:32 AM
bluesmobile
New User
thanks...and nice truck by the way....how rare is the Eddy B edition and did it come in a super cab ever? I saw one for sale for parts recently - badly whacked in front unfortunately..frame bent, really too bad

as to the 14 mpg....am not absolutely rigid on that...i figure switching all fluids to high end synthetics like Amsoil will pick up at least 1 mpg...and am also intrigued with the GearVendors over/underdrive auxillary transmission...good for 1 or 2 or ? more mpg if what i read is right...just would have to wait for a deal on a used one as at $3000 no can do, dude..

i recently drove a 95 F250 4x4 supercab long box with manual trans and locking hubs/manual 4x stick inside...i liked it...guy claimed he was getting 14 plus with a 351 nicely tuned up but all stock...hmmm...not sure i beleive it, but still a nice truck...

later....

Old 02-14-2010, 11:47 AM
bluesmobile
New User
thanks filmy...uh...what the heck is mass air and what the double heck is the speed density (SD) thing...i must be older than i thought..anyhow, it's obviously important and if what i smell in the air is correct, the MA system seems more friendly to inexpensive power upgrades?...so what years is what and how does one tell by looking?

by the way, where i live there's no emissions inspections...so can cutout the cats or whatever...not that i don't love the "greenies", but some of them just don't have no sense of humor - obviously never spent enough time in a Ford truck with the go pedal planted...pity

yeah the "dentside" thing cracks me up too....i never heard of such a thing until i started fooling around on the 73-79 forum hear at Ford Central. So now i wonder what groovy word describes the 80-86's and also 87-96's?

back to the drywall...honeydo list needs a whipping so i can escape and look at trucks tomorrow..i hate drywall

Old 02-14-2010, 12:01 PM
Filmy
Junior User
Originally Posted by bluesmobile
thanks filmy...uh...what the heck is mass air and what the double heck is the speed density (SD) thing...i must be older than i thought..anyhow, it's obviously important and if what i smell in the air is correct, the MA system seems more friendly to inexpensive power upgrades?...so what years is what and how does one tell by looking?

by the way, where i live there's no emissions inspections...so can cutout the cats or whatever...not that i don't love the "greenies", but some of them just don't have no sense of humor - obviously never spent enough time in a Ford truck with the go pedal planted...pity

yeah the "dentside" thing cracks me up too....i never heard of such a thing until i started fooling around on the 73-79 forum hear at Ford Central. So now i wonder what groovy word describes the 80-86's and also 87-96's?

back to the drywall...honeydo list needs a whipping so i can escape and look at trucks tomorrow..i hate drywall
Mass-Air or SD is how the air coming into the engine is measured, and therefore adjusts the timing and fuel delivery. MAF is much more accurate and variable depending on other modifications. SD simply "guesses", so it can't adjust the engine controls for common power upgrades to the engine. There's a TON of info here about MAF and SD, and you can search and read while your tape and float job is drying. But the bottom line is that SD is completely fine if you're not planning on mods. It could probably handle a hotter (RV) cam, but that's about it.

Old 02-14-2010, 02:08 PM
tseekins
Super Moderator
Received 1,221 Likes on 803 Posts
I would certainly stay with the latest model truck that you can afford or have the desire to own. More and better creature comforts.

In the past my dad owned a '76 F-150. Awesome truck

I've owned an '84,'86 and now an '88. All fantastic trucks and each was purchased for a different reason.

My '88 is my favorite but it hasn't been the most reliable of the three. The '86 with the 300 I6 was the most reliable.

I'd look for a '95-'96 XLT Lariat 4x4 with 351, E4OD and 3.73's. Miles don't matter as much as a pristine body does. These engines and trannies are cheap to replace in comparison to today's drive trains.

Tim

Old 02-14-2010, 02:08 PM
skyfox10
Posting Guru
thanks...and nice truck by the way....how rare is the Eddy B edition and did it come in a super cab ever? I saw one for sale for parts recently - badly whacked in front unfortunately..frame bent, really too bad
Thanks. If I'm reading this book right. 7.9% had Eddie Bauer in 95 and 11.3% had Eddie Bauer in 96. I don't know about super cab, but I know I've seen them standard and extended cab.

i recently drove a 95 F250 4x4 supercab long box with manual trans and locking hubs/manual 4x stick inside...i liked it...guy claimed he was getting 14 plus with a 351 nicely tuned up but all stock...hmmm...not sure i beleive it, but still a nice truck...
it might be possible with the manual tans, I get 13 highway with my f150 4x4 351 with the auto tans... Granted, it is a lighter truck, I would say that what he was claiming is not out of the question, if the truck is driven with a light foot.