Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DP Tuner

01 f350 clutch

Old 02-12-2010, 11:16 PM
kdfishe43
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
01 f350 clutch

well guys i've been making alot of posts here lately and everyone has been really helpful. so now i've got another one for yall. my stock clutch is starting to give in my 01 f350 6 speed single wheel ton 4x4. did fine till i got the ITP OBA and swamps custom tunes on my ts chip. on the street tune in slips when the turbo spools in 4th 5th and 6th. i dont even want to see how bad it would be on extreme. i checked with a few places and i've finally come up with a favorite. kenny at kenny's pulling parts priced me a 500 horse single disk for $550. a good friend of mine has the same clutch and it has seemed to hold up well and still drives good. there is a local shop nearby that will do the install for $200. does anyone have any suggestions on better deals or whether i am making a good choice or not?

Old 02-13-2010, 08:07 AM
miller_feed
Hook it, I'll pull it.

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Bump so the hand shakers can see this.

Old 02-13-2010, 09:29 AM
F350-6
Post Fiend
Received 24 Likes on 20 Posts
Southbend and Valair are the 2 popular clutches here. Many are running them with a chip and no issues. The important thing is make sure you upgrade to the kevlar pilot bushing when you do the clutch change.

And maybe it's just me, but it seems like the hydraulics go a month or so after a new clutch so you might consider doing those as well.

Old 02-13-2010, 09:52 AM
99hunter
Senior User
You can see what clutch i have in my signature! The nice thing with that is the fly wheel came with it so you don't have too worry about warpage or burnt spots. If i remember correctly it was around 8 or 9 hundred. It has held up really well and the only thing i an complain about is it dosn't seem to like it when you slip the clutch but under any load i have never had a problem, just choose the correct gear when you take off.

Sorry forgot to add this with a heavier pressure plat you will want to reinforce the fork that pushes on the through out bearing, they like to breake once in a while with more pressure.

Old 02-13-2010, 11:05 AM
Bigcat350
Posting Guru
Call Kevin at Valair and tell him you know some guys from FTE and he can match that price and probably beat it with shipping. Tell him what you want your to do and he will help.

Performance Clutch - Ford PowerStroke

As said by others go ahead a change your fork to the newer heavy duty one while the tranny is out it cost $45-$50 bucks below is a pic of my old fork. $200 is not a bad price for a shop to do this job. And like Chris suggest be ready to change your slave and master cylinder. I had to do them all after the clutch upgrade.

Attached Images  
Old 02-13-2010, 11:25 PM
kdfishe43
Senior User
thanks for the help. but after today im starting to think it may not be the clutch after all. i noticed my rear main seal was starting to leak oil under my truck. a local mechanic suggested that the oil could be getting on the clutch causing it to slip. i thought he was crazy untill this evening when it even started slipping on the economy setting (which is pretty weak but good fuel mileage). has this ever happened to anyone?

Old 02-14-2010, 07:35 AM
99hunter
Senior User
If you get enough oil soaked on to your clutch it will slip and eventually ruin the clutch, end result you will still have to replace it. It kind of sounds like you need a rear main and a clutch. Just a thought, make sure the oil is from the rear main and not further up and running in to the bell housing.

Old 02-14-2010, 03:09 PM
kdfishe43
Senior User
i looked at the valair clutch and found one i liked with a good price. but how long does the shipping on his clutch's take. im going to need it SOON. and where can i get the heavier forks from? also someone told me i can take my flywheel to tennessee clutch and get it resurfaced. is that a good idea or do i need to go on and buy a new one

Old 02-14-2010, 03:43 PM
Ziggy.
Posting Guru
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by kdfishe43
i looked at the valair clutch and found one i liked with a good price. but how long does the shipping on his clutch's take. im going to need it SOON. and where can i get the heavier forks from? also someone told me i can take my flywheel to tennessee clutch and get it resurfaced. is that a good idea or do i need to go on and buy a new one
Call and ask for Kevin at Valair, tell him Cody at Death Row Diesel said for you to give them a call, and he will give you a pretty good discount. Don't order online, just call them up.
You should be able to get the upgraded from your local dealer, or order it here from Ed, and i'm sure Clay at Riffraff would be able to get you one too. It is highly recommended that you resurface the flywheel with a new clutch install. I'm not sure what all shops are around your area, but I know the clutch shop here in knoxville also resurfaces flywheels, and can also re-line your factory clutch friction disk with new friction material, or change to a different compound.

Old 02-14-2010, 07:21 PM
240spoke
Senior User
You may want to check the top side of the motor for an oil leak...Look in the valley to see if the hpop is leaking the oil down there....From what i have read on here rear main leaks are not very common...just my 2 cents....

Old 02-14-2010, 08:08 PM
kdfishe43
Senior User
alright thanks for all the help i am calling kevin first thing in the morning. but now is the part where i really need help. this is my only vehicle and i depend on it to drive me at least 500 miles a week so i HAVE to get this thing done soon. i was going to ask kevin if i could get 3 day priority shipping because if i dont get this thing done this coming weekend i dont know what i'll do. i was going to start on it friday evening and work on it 24 7 till its done. i have a few friends who have done their clutch install that are willing to help. here are the things i need if yall have any information or links to help me out
1. where to get the kevlar bushings
2.where to get the upgraded forks
3.flywheel: get it re-surfaced in nashville or get a whole new one?
4. where to get a rear main seal.
5. IS THERE ANYTHING ELSE I NEED

Old 02-14-2010, 09:27 PM
Bigcat350
Posting Guru
This is my opinion.
1.Use the bearings that comes with your kit from Kevin.
2.Get this from the Ford dealer 1 day turn around if they don't have it in stock.
3. Yes get it resurfaced for sure.
4. ?? Dealer, do you need a rear main seal?
5. You should like your tunes better now.

Old 02-14-2010, 09:51 PM
kdfishe43
Senior User
yeah the rear main seal has been leaking a little so while its apart i might as well fix it. thanks for all the info

Old 02-15-2010, 07:33 AM
Kwikkordead
Fleet Owner
Received 778 Likes on 594 Posts
My Kevlar bushing failed on me.
I went back to the stock Ford pilot bearing.
I'll just have to pull the tranny every five years and lube the bearing.

Old 02-15-2010, 08:54 AM
kdfishe43
Senior User
ok heres a update. called valair this morning, kevin wasn't in so i talked to gary. i didn't get the discount (thanks anyways cody) but i did get really good service and my clutch should arrive on wednesday or thursday. went to the ford dealership and got the heavy duty throwout forks ($47) and the rear main seal ($57). i think i am going to use the bearings that come with my clutch, unless there's some reason why thats a terrible idea. is there anything else that i might need? the only thing i think i have left is to get the flywheel re-surfaced

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: 01 f350 clutch