Brake Controller Help

Old 02-13-2010, 04:10 PM
Eric H
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Brake Controller Help

My brake controller recently stopped working. I'm hoping someone can provide me some more information on how to test controllers.

Truck: 2001 F250 PSD
Controller: Tekonsha Voyager

The trailer lights, etc, all work fine. However, the green light on the controller doesn't illuminate when the trailer is connected. I'm also unable to engage the trailer brakes by pulling the manual lever.

I tested between the ground and brake controller tabs on the truck side of the harness. I found 12.7 volts constant and about 12.4 when the brakes are applied.

What additional tests and troubleshooting should I complete to verify if the controller is broken?

Thanks!

Old 02-13-2010, 05:45 PM
RV_Tech
Hotshot
Received 456 Likes on 310 Posts
Originally Posted by Eric H
My brake controller recently stopped working. I'm hoping someone can provide me some more information on how to test controllers.

Truck: 2001 F250 PSD
Controller: Tekonsha Voyager

The trailer lights, etc, all work fine. However, the green light on the controller doesn't illuminate when the trailer is connected. I'm also unable to engage the trailer brakes by pulling the manual lever.

I tested between the ground and brake controller tabs on the truck side of the harness. I found 12.7 volts constant and about 12.4 when the brakes are applied.

What additional tests and troubleshooting should I complete to verify if the controller is broken?

Thanks!
If you have power to your seven pin on the blue lead, you have alrady established that your brake controller is working. Next, make sure all the connections in your seven pin connections are in good shape. Without good contact, brakes won't work.

Follow your seven pin cord back on your camper and check for broken connections or possibly a blown fuse. You most like have a broken lead to your trailer brakes or a shorted lead that is blowing a fuse or keeping an auto reset fuse from resetting. Once you have power to your seven pin, that is as much as your brake controller can do, if I am understanding your situation correctly.

Steve