Notices
1987 - 1996 F150 & Larger F-Series Trucks 1987 - 1996 Ford F-150, F-250, F-350 and larger pickups - including the 1997 heavy-duty F250/F350+ trucks
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Just need to get it out

Old 02-12-2010, 06:32 AM
truckrider814
Posting Guru

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Just need to get it out

Just to let yall know all this is, is just me getting it out and with any luck make up my mind so reader beware.lol

I've been wanting to sell my truck to buy a newer one with less miles and all that, well i have a friend that was interested but at that time didn't have the money. well he just called me the other day and told me that his parents actually are interested in it, well they'll pay what i was asking for it (3,000) and they know what's wrong with it and everything, and my friend said if they didn't want it he'd buy it. well it would seem like alls good but and this sounds sad and stupid but now that i can get rid of it and get what i want i don't want to get rid of it, i've been to hell and back with the truck. and i know that if i sell the truck to his parents it'll be used as a work truck, and if i sell it to him he most likely wont take care of it. so i have no idea what to do like i said sorry for this post but i just dunno some opinions might help in the end. haha

Thanks
Kyle

Old 02-12-2010, 07:33 AM
6CylBill
Post Fiend
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Kyle, I understand. There's nothing anyone here can tell you. You will only hear what you want to.

Let me just say this; Take care of yourself by MAKING THE CORRECT AND WISE DECISION.

Old 02-12-2010, 07:51 AM
jade79
Laughing Gas
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Here's something that helps me with difficult decisions. Make yourself a list of the pros and cons for buying a new one and keeping the old one. Be honest with yourself and give each item on the list a score of importance between 1 and 5. This should help clarify things.
Or, you could do like I did. I drive my 79 everyday and would'nt sell it for anything. I found a sweet mint condition 95 F150 which has all the bells and whistles that my 79 does'nt. I bougth the 95 a few years ago and keep it in the garage and still drive the 79 80% of the time.

Old 02-12-2010, 07:53 AM
pete17c
Senior User
They are just tools after all .. they wear out .. newer, better, fancier ones are out there, that may be better for you and the job you need done ..

but I do understand the 'attachment' thing ..

Old 02-12-2010, 08:05 AM
6CylBill
Post Fiend
Heck yeah there's an attachment. These trucks turn into mechanical mules to us. It would break my heart if I had to sell the truck or get rid of it.

Old 02-12-2010, 10:44 AM
Ohio Ford Farm
Elder User
Originally Posted by 6CylBill
Heck yeah there's an attachment. These trucks turn into mechanical mules to us. It would break my heart if I had to sell the truck or get rid of it.
heck yea! I had a old rusted out 86 F150 4X4 W 351 W. One night a young women was unable to see me over the pile of snow at the street corner, pulled out to see me about 100 feet way moving at about 35 Mph. Well long story short we both walked away, my 86 was flat bedded home ( T-boned the car with the snow plow and just wrecked the front frame ) Bought it back for the motor and plow stuff. ( about 16,000 on motor. ) .... That was 3 winters ago ... I still miss that old rusty truck

Old 02-12-2010, 10:55 AM
SaikotikGunman
Posting Guru
There's an episode of Top Gear where the crew came to the US and instead of renting cars for two weeks, they put that money toward buying beaters for their road trip, with the intention of selling them at the other and an making their money back. The end of the trip was Katrina-devastated Nola, so they actually gave them away to people who lost their vehicles, but on the last leg of the trip, one of the cast was commenting that he wouldn't the RS Camaro he'd been driving across four states--that smelled like rotten cow, had dead A/C, and was pretty much what you'd expect for an $800 Camaro--for an Enzo Ferrari.

We become attached to cars and trucks, especially older ones that have quirks. We know how to make this or that work for us, and we know what we've invested in them, not only financially(after all, that's only money, which doesn't mean a whole in the grand scheme of things), but in terms of time and emotion. All those skinned up knuckles, cuss words muttered under our breaths, frustration with a bolt that just wouldn't break free. Our trucks run on sweat and blood as much as oil and gas. The amount of time I've spent on my back under my truck, it may as well be my lover. It broke my heart to trade my deceased '88 for parts for my other two trucks, but I kept enough parts out of it and put them into other trucks that I'll always have a piece of it. I can't even bring myself to get rid of the truck I rolled.

Of course, I'm more emotionally invested in my trucks than I am in most people -- I've found 4,600 pounds of steel, glass, and rubber a whole lot more reliable than the average human being.

That probably wasn't what you wanted to hear, but deep down, I'm sure you didn't expect a whole lot of people on a board for old truck enthusiasts to just say it's a piece of metal and just get rid of it! We're enthusiasts for what amount to beater trucks.

Old 02-12-2010, 10:59 AM
6CylBill
Post Fiend
Well said, men.

Old 02-12-2010, 12:11 PM
zxwut?
Fleet Mechanic
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
It's just a truck. I thoroughly enjoy mine, but if I could get rid of it for something better, I would. Not that there's anything wrong with it, but newer and better is never a bad thing; unless you're going from a 7.3L Powerstroke to any of them made after that lolz.

Old 02-12-2010, 12:36 PM
SaikotikGunman
Posting Guru
Newer and better? Since when was newer better? Newer just means it's more likely to have been made in Mexico...

Old 02-12-2010, 06:43 PM
94XLTFLAREI6
Senior User
Attachment?? What attachment?
I've only had mine for 12 years....

Old 02-12-2010, 07:57 PM
skyfox10
Posting Guru
I think that it's not about pro's and con's. If you add up all of the positive & negative things about each decision, the one with more pro's and less con's would be the one that makes you happier. So ultimately, if you feel that the old truck makes you happier, you just skipped the whole pro/con thing.

I bought an '00 explorer after wrecking my old truck and was never happy, I was always crawling ebay looking for one that was like my last one. When I finally found one, I spent more than it was probably worth and bid on it before I even knew if I would be approved for the loan. I'm now making payments on 2 vehicles and don't like the financial strain, but would buy the truck again in a heartbeat.

Last edited by skyfox10; 02-12-2010 at 07:57 PM. Reason: spelling
Old 02-12-2010, 08:17 PM
6CylBill
Post Fiend
Originally Posted by zxwut?
It's just a truck. I thoroughly enjoy mine, but if I could get rid of it for something better, I would. Not that there's anything wrong with it, but newer and better is never a bad thing; unless you're going from a 7.3L Powerstroke to any of them made after that lolz.
Yes, it's just a truck. But it's MY truck!

Old 02-12-2010, 08:23 PM
TexasGuy001
Hotshot
Received 204 Likes on 164 Posts
I don't agree that newer is better. I would rather have my truck than a brand new one.

Old 02-12-2010, 08:35 PM
quicklook2
Post Fiend
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
if someone is offering you $3000 for a 1991 truck then i say sell it.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Just need to get it out