Go Back  Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums > Diesel > 1999 - 2003 7.3L Power Stroke Diesel
Reload this Page >

2004 6.0 4X4 F-350 Lariat . Should I stay away??

Notices
1999 - 2003 7.3L Power Stroke Diesel  
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Old 02-12-2010, 12:10 PM
02GrayPowerStroke
Posting Guru
02GrayPowerStroke is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.

Its got 116000 miles on it. Should I stay away from it? $17K

What do you think?

And compared to my truck how will it pull?

Old 02-12-2010, 12:13 PM
miller_feed
Hook it, I'll pull it.
miller_feed has a superb reputationmiller_feed has a superb reputationmiller_feed has a superb reputationmiller_feed has a superb reputationmiller_feed has a superb reputationmiller_feed has a superb reputationmiller_feed has a superb reputationmiller_feed has a superb reputationmiller_feed has a superb reputationmiller_feed has a superb reputationmiller_feed has a superb reputation
No way. Keep what you have.

Old 02-12-2010, 12:15 PM
02GrayPowerStroke
Posting Guru
Originally Posted by miller_feed View Post
No way. Keep what you have.
Why do you say that? I know its a 6.0 but its a F350.

Old 02-12-2010, 12:48 PM
riverrat41
Postmaster
riverrat41 is a splendid one to beholdriverrat41 is a splendid one to beholdriverrat41 is a splendid one to beholdriverrat41 is a splendid one to beholdriverrat41 is a splendid one to beholdriverrat41 is a splendid one to behold
I am not trying to talk you one way or the other.You can work on the 7.3 but it is more challenging trying to get to things on the 6.0.They have a bad reputation in many areas.

Old 02-12-2010, 12:49 PM
miller_feed
Hook it, I'll pull it.
miller_feed has a superb reputationmiller_feed has a superb reputationmiller_feed has a superb reputationmiller_feed has a superb reputationmiller_feed has a superb reputationmiller_feed has a superb reputationmiller_feed has a superb reputationmiller_feed has a superb reputationmiller_feed has a superb reputationmiller_feed has a superb reputationmiller_feed has a superb reputation
I always read the 6.0 forum and there are so many people on there with problems with the '03-'04. You hear lots of threads saying if you go with the 6.0, go with '05 up.

Old 02-12-2010, 12:50 PM
02GrayPowerStroke
Posting Guru
Well if I can get the truck for the same payments should I do it? Its a good looking truck.

Old 02-12-2010, 12:51 PM
parkland
Post Fiend
parkland has much to be proud ofparkland has much to be proud ofparkland has much to be proud ofparkland has much to be proud ofparkland has much to be proud ofparkland has much to be proud ofparkland has much to be proud ofparkland has much to be proud ofparkland has much to be proud ofparkland has much to be proud of
I could see if you needed to move up from the 02 7.3, maybe you could do a 05-07 6.0.

I would'nt bother moving from a proven 02 7.3 to anything else unless there was a good reason.

Old 02-12-2010, 01:06 PM
cowboybootlegger
Senior User
cowboybootlegger has a good reputation on FTE.cowboybootlegger has a good reputation on FTE.cowboybootlegger has a good reputation on FTE.
Well, with an 04 model you're not getting the front suspension and bigger brake upgrades that came in 05-up, so as far as the chassis goes, it'll handle the weight much the same... Except for the slight upgrade from F250 to F350.
I had an '06 F250 King Ranch that i loved, (till it got stolen last summer) but even so, i had over $10k worth of warranty work done in the first year i had it! And that was untuned, and before i even hit 45,000 miles...

Even after all the drama my friend and i have had with our 6.0s, i would buy another '05-'07 if it was DIRT- and i mean DIRT cheap, and i had a decent OASIS report. 'Course the first thing i would do is pull it in my shop, yank the heads, stud it, delete the EGR, check and/or replace the oil cooler, update the Snap To Connect HPOP fitting (if applicable) put good exhaust on it, reroute the CCV, clean the turbo, and put a coolant filter on it. But I have access to a lift, a pretty decent set of tools, a heated shop, and a wholesale relationship with the local Ford dealer and parts suppliers. I would be wary buying a used 6leaker if you will have to pay someone to work on it, cause chances are it will get worked on a fair bit.

HOWEVER, the 5R110 tranny is frickin bulletproof, my buddy has 200k on his '05, and the last 100k of it were tuned (120 horse) and his tranny is still in great shape. Much of this longevity is due to competent tuning, (Innovative, Spartan) and also draining the tranny pan and changing the external filter every oil change (5k intervals). Excessive maybe, but we get Mercon SP for $3.39 a quart, and it's still far cheaper than a rebuild. The bigger brakes and coil front suspension on the '05 and newer trucks are great as well, nice not to warp rotors every 30k... And i do miss that tighter turning radius.

Sooo, all that to say- if you understand the risks, are willing to spend any money you might need to, and just really want a new truck, go for it! But at the end of the day, i already like my untuned 7.3 better than my tuned 6.0...

Old 02-12-2010, 01:17 PM
spdmpo
Postmaster
spdmpo is a splendid one to beholdspdmpo is a splendid one to beholdspdmpo is a splendid one to beholdspdmpo is a splendid one to beholdspdmpo is a splendid one to beholdspdmpo is a splendid one to beholdspdmpo is a splendid one to behold
Are you looking for opinions on if you should trade? Only if you are willing to deal with head studs, EGR system, and the vanes in the turbo. Because the likelihood of having to do all those things if very probable, and expensive. I wouldn't do it. If you just have to have a newer truck, find an 05. I'm not a how-much-a-month kind of person, so I can't help you there.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - About Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

© 2019 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.