2007 - 2014 Expedition & Navigator 2007, 2008, 2009, 2010, 2011, 2012, 2013 and 2014 Ford Expedition and Lincoln Navigator

Grr ... Got hit on the way home tonight

Search this Thread

Old 02-11-2010, 07:48 PM
gr8dain
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Grr ... Got hit on the way home tonight

We were on the way home from Costco tonight and some kid ran a red light as we were turning into our neighborhood. Not horrible. We were able to drive home after bending the fender away from the tire, but his F150 was done for. Airbags and bent axle (and flat tire) made sure of that.

The front seems to have shifted a little to the driver's side. I am now in search of a good body shop. Fun stuff. At least everyone was OK. My wife says the seatbelt got her sternum a bit. The driver of the other car had a hurt wrist from his airbag.

Too bad it will involve a court session since he claims he had a green light, yet two witnesses behind him say it was red. Oh well, hopefully the courts see it the right way.

Repairable, right? I spent too long looking for this truck to start over. I have had it less than one year.

Dain

Last edited by gr8dain; 03-04-2010 at 03:50 PM. Reason: UPDATE - TOTALED
Old 02-11-2010, 07:53 PM
gr8dain
Senior User
By the way, will it ever be back to normal? I fear the worst. When we had our Bronco repaired, the door always would rub the bender when the weather changed.

Oh, and we were at Costco looking to see what kind of tires they had for it. Is it true that I should not use anything less than an H rated tire? I would like a more aggressive tread than these stock tires and wanted something like my BF Goodridge Radial TAs that I have had on my Bronco and have on my Jeep.

Thanks

Dain

Old 02-11-2010, 07:54 PM
berry1234
Postmaster
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Glad to hear you are ok. Did the police make a report, get witness statements, etc?

It shouldn't be hard to repair, fenders, hood, fascia, etc. Just find a good shop and don't let the insurance push you into doing what they want, have it done right.

Old 02-11-2010, 08:28 PM
gr8dain
Senior User
I gave the names and phone numbers of the two witnesses to the cop. I am pretty sure he belived us since he gave the kid a citation.

As for the shop, I have USAA so I can take it to any shop of my choice. They are good about that.

It just stinks. I just don't want to be without the truck for the time it takes to fix it. And i fear the worst about the courtbelieving the kid. Been through it before.

Old 02-11-2010, 09:15 PM
berry1234
Postmaster
I wouldn't worry. Think positive. Should take about 2 weeks tops to fix it. Just find a good shop that will use Ford parts, not aftermarket fenders, lights, etc.

Old 02-11-2010, 09:28 PM
gr8dain
Senior User
Thanks for the positive thoughts and well wishes. I do need to find a good shop. I used a Ford dealer for the Bronco, but need to find a better place this time.

Old 02-11-2010, 11:17 PM
XFML
New User
When you pick up your truck from the shop, I would inspect everything and make sure they have a warranty in case you notice anything after the repair. Good luck!

Old 02-11-2010, 11:55 PM
Tylus
MMNC (SS)(Ret)

Received 30 Likes on 22 Posts
damn...I always hate to see Blue on Blue damage like that.

doesn't look too terribly bad though. hope she comes back 100% though.

Old 02-12-2010, 07:10 AM
gr8dain
Senior User
I will be going to a shop that warrantees the work. And my insurance company stands behind it as well in case they don't.

I did feel bad for the F-150, I hat to see it go like that, but it was probably good that both vehicles were of like size in front. If we had been in my Wrangler, I think we would have been much worse off.

Thanks again for the well wishes.

Dain

Old 02-12-2010, 12:12 PM
kennisonxgs
Senior User
I hope it's not too bad, and easily repairable.
My family and I have been hit by traffic violators so many times that I get steamed up when I see someone pulling stupid isht.

Old 02-12-2010, 01:11 PM
gr8dain
Senior User
Originally Posted by kennisonxgs
I hope it's not too bad, and easily repairable.
My family and I have been hit by traffic violators so many times that I get steamed up when I see someone pulling stupid isht.

I hope it is not too bad as well.

I am the same way as far as seeing idiots on the road. While I am glad I was in the Expedition and not the Jeep or Mini, I hate that it was the newest of the vehicles we have. Even the Insurance guy I talked to commented that it is always the newest vehicle that gets hit.

Dain

Old 02-12-2010, 05:41 PM
BIGKEN
Received 7,104 Likes on 4,189 Posts
Sorry to hear about the accident Dain...but...as others have said...everyone is OK...that's the important thing!!! Yeah...even the kid that hit you!!!

The glass...rubber...and...steel can be repaired...body parts are a lot harder to take care of!!!

Old 02-12-2010, 06:11 PM
tseekins
Super Moderator
Received 1,221 Likes on 803 Posts
Originally Posted by gr8dain
By the way, will it ever be back to normal? I fear the worst. When we had our Bronco repaired, the door always would rub the bender when the weather changed.

Oh, and we were at Costco looking to see what kind of tires they had for it. Is it true that I should not use anything less than an H rated tire? I would like a more aggressive tread than these stock tires and wanted something like my BF Goodridge Radial TAs that I have had on my Bronco and have on my Jeep.

Thanks

Dain
She'll be fine. Mine has been fixed at a Ford body shop a couple of times and she's perfectly normal. These trucks are well built.

As far as tires are concerned, you'd be better off staying away from "club" tires such as Costco, Sams or BJ's. These are no better than the crap that the truck was built with.

Go to Tire Rack - Your performance experts for tires and wheels and do a search. You can read warranty material, reviews and get pricing.

Find a good tire shop that you trust and either buy from them or buy on line and have them shipped to your local area for installation. Just my two cents.

Tim

Old 02-12-2010, 06:17 PM
MisterCMK
Fleet Owner
Received 53 Likes on 43 Posts
I'm sure that it will turn out OK. I was involved in an accident on the 2nd of January where a guy pulled out right in front of me from in a parking lot and I hit his rear right corner with the front left of mine. I called the insurance the next day and filed a claim through his insurance. He claimed to have been going 30 when I hit him but witnesses and the facts said otherwise. He ended up taking 100% liability.

Just be completely honest with the insurance people and explain to them what happened and what the circumstances were.

Old 02-12-2010, 06:19 PM
berry1234
Postmaster
Just stick with a name brand tire and search for reviews on it. I got BF Goodrich Longtrail Tours and I like them. You may want the Rugged Trail. A bit more aggressive. Costco's price was higher than Discount Tire where I got mine. They price match too.

Quick Reply: Grr ... Got hit on the way home tonight