Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DP Tuner

Added some power, toasted my engine.

Search this Thread

Old 03-08-2010, 04:58 PM
strokersace
Fleet Mechanic
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Wasn't telling you how to spend your money and I said it was just my opinion.

True you don't need headstuds at that boost level. But did you need port/polishing and ceramic coating either? My opinion is NO. But you spent the money on stuff that you'll see very little if any benefit for, and then say you couldn't afford headstuds.

Stock headbolts and their holding capabilities are like pmr's. Some hold way past 40 psi, while some stretch below that level. It's not an exact psi line in the sand. And at your power level, you're flirting with that range. Cheap insurance is changing them when it's easy to do so, and better bang for the buck over some of the other stuff.

Look I'm not trying to step on any toes and am in NO WAY saying you put together a BS build. It's a better build than I'm doing right now. I was just trying to point out that you could have used some money you spent on other parts of the build to get studs. That's all. It's all in personal preference.

Old 03-08-2010, 05:04 PM
SUPERDUTY OUTLAW
Elder User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Heres the deal with the heads and stuff, the heads had to get sent in to someplace to be measured and some stuff had to be fixed on them. I was asked if while they were there if i wanted them to be port and polished and I said sure why not. The up-pipes and and manifolds got done just cause I was waiting on the heads to get back and it was very cheap to have it done. I could have afforded the head studs but the shop working on my truck, who have a very good name around here told me that I wouldn't need them but they would put them on if I decided that I wanted them. I figured if they said I didn't need them then I should be good. Will I regret this decision later.... I sure hope not, but next time anything happens I will be doing it all myself. I would have done all of this but it didn't get much above 0 here in nebraska last month and I didn't have a shop for it.