1948 - 1956 F1, F100 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Fat Fendered and Classic Ford Trucks

OT: last American Chopper tonight

Search this Thread

Old 02-11-2010, 12:47 PM
AXracer
Hotshot
Received 53 Likes on 34 Posts
OT: last American Chopper tonight

End of the saga tonight. RIP. Lately it had the flavor of a tired old dog slowly fading away. Sr. got way too big headed and way overexpanded out of their niche market. When Pauly left for good it showed he also wasn't that much the "designer" since they kept cranking out custom theme bikes that were as good if not better than his designs. Without the name recognition of AC to ride, JR designs is on it's death bed as well. Adding his name to a product isn't worth the high price he expects over the in house degreed product design team members work. Very few established companies use outside contract designers. Example the Coleman grill (has he done any other job?) he changed the colors added a little chrome trim and a plate with his name on it, BFD. How many extra sales "flew" off the shelves because of his design? I hope all three invested their wealth well when they had it, or we may see a new program soon: OCSK (Orange County Soup Kitchen).

Old 02-11-2010, 12:51 PM
HD74
Elder User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Nothing like beating a dead horse. Glad to see it go it gave us bikers a bad name.

Old 02-11-2010, 12:57 PM
AXracer
Hotshot
Received 53 Likes on 34 Posts
Without the TV money OCC has little chance for survival IMHO.

Old 02-11-2010, 01:06 PM
fking1
Elder User
How many ways can they build a Chopper?
Sr. is an A**, Jr. struggling to do what, and Mikey a sorry no talent who is pathetic.
Talk about a disfunctional family.
This show was good for a couple years but is played out IMO.

Old 02-11-2010, 01:11 PM
ALBUQ F-1
Fleet Owner
Received 607 Likes on 377 Posts
One of the few episodes I caught had Sr. throwing a wrench across the room at his son's head, and the son doing MIG welding without even sunglasses. (If he'd been throwing the wrench BECAUSE the son was welding without a hood, I'd have understood, but he wasn't) That was enough for me.

Old 02-11-2010, 01:40 PM
bobj49f2
Hotshot
Received 2,059 Likes on 804 Posts
They use the same formula that's used on all of the reality type shows;under pressure to get a product out in a short time, running out of time, major problem arises, a quick fix and all is well at the end. I really miss the good, well written comedies and dramas, the few that there were. The only show IMO opinion that takes less brains is "Deal or No Deal".

I have enough pressure trying to get a product out of my shop, when I do have work, that I don't need a bunch of drama queens hamming it up in front of a camera.

Old 02-11-2010, 03:36 PM
Stephen67
Postmaster
Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
I stopped watching years ago, it all got to be the same. There where a few bikes I really liked, but for the most part they just looked really gaudy to me. I just remember watching Jr. b*tch and moan about everything not being easy since everything was custom and that got on my nerves; its custom the fun is in doing something original, it should be FUN, if you don't enjoy it do something else. I'm sure half the drama was for the show, but seeing as Sr. made the business and Jr. road on it's coat tails, I could see why he got pissed at him so often when he half assed things. I always thought Vini didn't get what he deserved, but like I said I haven't seen the show in years, least 5.

Truthfully I didn't even know it was still on, I thought it ended years ago...

Old 02-11-2010, 04:22 PM
WALFORD'S 56
Postmaster
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
As a son who took over the company and even had my Grandpa involved....and siblings,I know how hard it is to work with family.
THESE CLOWNS were just that...CLOWNS.
I am not a big chopper fan....but built a few Harleys,etc in my youth....how hard can it be? Sure not like building a rust bucket back to life again. All new parts and nearly no body panels but tank and fender to paint.
Tuttles are going to be in deep crap if they don't work together. THE SHOW WAS A JOKE....and I only saw it in bits and pieces. My neighbors loved them.....I think anyone working in fab and machine work has alot of stress....I know I had it.
Glad to see it go!!!

Old 02-11-2010, 04:56 PM
mechmagcn
Logistics Pro
Received 46 Likes on 32 Posts
Never did watch the show that often. Before going out on my own, I worked for a few *********s like SR. and really didn't want to relive that part of my life.

Old 02-11-2010, 04:57 PM
Old F1
Cargo Master

Received 66 Likes on 49 Posts
I would watch it,........... but tonight is my night to wash the cat.

Old 02-11-2010, 06:01 PM
1PieceAtATime
Mountain Pass
Received 9 Likes on 5 Posts
I got to see the Lincoln bike OCC built. Lincoln put on a big traveling from dealership to dealership production. This was when the show was really popular. The Lincoln bike in person is absolutely unreal in how completely over the top it is. They actually built 3 bikes for a cost of $350,000, I heard. All this while Ford stock was circling the bowl, so to speak. That show really has run on alot longer than it ought to have. It's too bad their family has such problems, they all seem nice enough people individually. Makes me wonder if the whole fairly recent surge in the motorcycle industry popularitys headed in the same direction as that show...

Old 02-11-2010, 07:18 PM
carnut122
Posting Guru
If it has wheels and a motor, I usually watch it. I agree, the show was as predictable as House, but I found it entertaining.

Old 02-11-2010, 08:09 PM
firstrider
Logistics Pro

Received 119 Likes on 57 Posts
Sr .and Jr always at each others throat and side kick Mikey got real old . No wonder Mikey was in rehab with a maniac father like Sr.Quit watching awhile ago .

Old 02-11-2010, 09:59 PM
Big IV
Senior User
If they had shown more of the builds and less of the squabbling then I might have checked it out for longer.

The show is ending? Was it still on? They'll be fine. They still have a running metal works beside the bike shop that will pull them through. Speaking of things beside of the shop, I used to like watching for the exterior shots when they would show what the employees drove. Someone had a really nice Yamaha XS1100! I'd rather watch them go over that than another v-twinkie.

Old 02-11-2010, 11:28 PM
Jetman
Mountain Pass
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
You have to wonder was that real or a bunch of TV drama.

Quick Reply: OT: last American Chopper tonight