Sponsored by: DP Tuner

Stuck....

Search this Thread

Old 03-31-2010, 08:50 AM
Terrh
Junior User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Stuck....

'99.5 F250 2WD auto SRW 7.3L. 320,000 miles. I have a tool bed in the back. 265 "P" rated cooper discoverer atr in the front and 235 "LT" rated general grabber AW's in the rear.

This truck gets stuck on anything. This winter I got stuck in my flat gravel driveway on 1/4" of ice that froze under the tires. I tow/haul alot and trying to pull a trailer through a muddy field with only 1 drive wheel is just not working.

It seems like it has a limited slip in the rear that's maybe worn out but it's hard to tell. I'm not even sure what axle my truck would have came with?

Frequently only one wheel will spin but I was stuck this weekend, got mad and went full throttle till I got out (got mud EVERYWHERE, ugh) and cut two ruts through the grass I was stuck in, so both must have been sprinning then.

Since I'm sure a 4wd swap would cost more than my truck is worth, what are my other options? Are there reasonably priced LT rated tires that will have a lot more traction but can still handle heavy loads and will last a long time? I'd get rid of these ones in an instant if I found something better.

Thanks for whatever help you can offer!

Old 03-31-2010, 09:06 AM
GregN
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I have Michelin LTX M/S Load Range E tires. They have deep lugs and are actually quite aggressive in mud and snow, but they are an excellent highway tire as well.

LTX® M/S: Light Truck Tires: MICHELIN® Automotive Tires: Michelin Tires

The photos don't do this tire justice. These tires have really impressed me, and I will definatly replace these with the same ones when they need replacing (over 40,000 miles and they look new).

Another option for you would be some emergency tire chains. I can't find the product right now, but it is a rubber 'X' with some studs that you strap on your tire/wheel after you are already stuck. Just thinking outside the box if this is just a one or two time a year issue. You could always get some big old mud tires, but they are loud, expensive, and wear quickly.

Old 03-31-2010, 09:14 AM
spdmpo
Postmaster
Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
When you're on ice it doesn't matter what you are driving. But yes these things will get stuck on wet grass sometimes. They're heavy and there's more weight on the front axle than the back. Find tires with a lot of siping, that's the key; all those little cuts on the tread block is what gives traction. For the winter use some dedicated snow tires.
Mud tires are about the worst kind of tires you can use on the snow and ice.

Old 03-31-2010, 10:41 AM
jdecker88
Post Fiend

I have Michelin LTX M/S D rated 285 tires and I have to say they are highway only they work decent in a little mud puddle or a slight mud patch but if your going back into a field they get you a worrying I got stuck a few times this winter due to them. I would suggest a Kelly Fierce Attuide M/T E rated tire great tire under 200 bucks and they ride well from what i under stand I should have some on my truck in the next couple of weeks.

Old 03-31-2010, 11:55 AM
GregN
Senior User
Those tires look very good. Let us know your impression of the Kelly Fierce Attitude M/T after you get them.

Old 03-31-2010, 12:49 PM
jdecker88
Post Fiend

They are the same one Bdrummonds is running and he loves them so far.

Old 03-31-2010, 01:27 PM
clem1226
Postmaster

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
If you plan on keeping the truck how about a locker in the rear? Maybe an air locker to keep drivebility civilized.

Old 03-31-2010, 01:37 PM
Joelong258
Senior User
My trucks got LTX m/s too. Definately seem to be pretty good tires so far but havent had a chance to try them out in mud or snow yet.

Old 03-31-2010, 02:00 PM
GregN
Senior User
Yeah, I have had no problem in the snow/ice. They have been through three Minnesota winters so far and they do an excellent job. As far as mud goes, I had to pull my car trailer up a muddy hill (about 6" of snotty mud) after a mud run and it worked great (granted, I have 4WD and there was a ton of mud flying, but I was one of the few that actually made it). I will admit they aren't the best at just one thing, but they are topps for an overall tire in my book.

I got hooked on these tires from working at my last company. We had Chevy Express 3500 vans (2WD with limited slip) that routinely carried 2,000+ lbs in the rear (mobile industrial machine repair). We would get 80,000+ miles out of a set of tires, would have no problem in winter traveling the 5 state area, and no problems in a muddy back woods parking lot all while getting decent mileage. Those are the reasons why I suggest these tires so strongly. If you routinely see off-road conditions, then I would suggest an off-road style tire. I am going to leave it at that.

Old 03-31-2010, 05:27 PM
Terrh
Junior User
thanks for all the info!

I have always liked michelins, I'll probably buy those. 99% of my use is on the highway.

How much is an air locker kit worth?

Old 03-31-2010, 09:05 PM
GregN
Senior User
The ARB air locker will be about $1,000, the compressor will be another $300 or so, then there is installation. I would say just under $2,000.

The ARB locker is a limited slip when not locked in (from what I remember unless they recently changed it), and pretty much a Spool when locked. Since you left two tracks when you pinned it in the mud, you most likely have a limited slip diff that is probably weak.

When I replace my factory limited slip/posi, I plan on replacing it with this one: Detroit Truetrac Differentials

It is about half the price of the installed ARB. It allows enough slip for on road manners, but will lock the rear axles when enough slip is sensed. This way, you don't have to think about it or maintain it. No compressors to go bad, no air lines to rupture, no possible electronic malfunctions.

Again, just my opinion. I used to 4 wheel with a guy who had an ARB air locker. His compressor crapped out and had to buy a new one to use his locker. It was a huge pain in the ***. Good luck with your decision. keep us up to date with what you decide on and how it works for you.

Old 04-01-2010, 08:58 AM
Terrh
Junior User
oh, that's a torsen. (or at least a torsen-like design).

They're wonderful.

I didn't even know they were made for truck applications, I thought they were strictly for cars.

Old 04-01-2010, 09:07 AM
GregN
Senior User
I have never used this type of diff before, but it seems to be the best option for an overall daily use locker/limited slip. I have used other lockers before and have found them to be a pain when on dry pavement (Noisy and jerky).

Old 04-01-2010, 09:25 AM
Terrh
Junior User
I've had a car with one before (mazda rx-7) - they come with one from the factory. Best driving car I ever had.

it's a limited slip that has a really clever design and doesn't wear out as fast as the traditional clutch kind.

Torsen - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia < how they work.