njstripernut
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Outstanding write up, THANKS!

Old 03-22-2011, 10:24 PM
Orezona
Postmaster
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Great info man. Just happens I ordered mine today with compressor and single gauge and switch.

Old 03-22-2011, 10:59 PM
papadelogan
Snowboard season cometh..

I need to let my back account recover, but hope to get a set of these before too much longer. Awesome write-up!!

Old 03-23-2011, 08:47 AM
scubajt
Junior User
Great write up and pics,I installed mine a few months ago I wished I would have thought to remove the bed it would have been so much easier than rolling around on the cold concrete. again very nice job reps being sent.

Old 03-23-2011, 09:03 AM
white Buffalo
Post Fiend
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Great write-up Caleb, nicely done. Reps to you!

Originally Posted by farmdad
................Have you tried using something like that on one of your installs? They are made for frame rail mounting and all-weather but don't know about the psi that they produce. Would have to do a little more plumbing for a switch, gauge and deflate solenoid but the pump unit is quite compact.
That's what I did when I installed mine Mark. Here is a pic of the kit that they sold with it. I mounted the compressor under the drivers side. I went this route - when traveling on the road with the 5th wheel it was much more convienent to be able to adjust the PSI from in the cab and not have to go fund some air while on the road since I would run about 30 psi when towing and 10-15 unloaded.

I installed the same kit as Caleb has since I have a frame mounted 5th wheel hitch. Made a big difference towing. Wife thought Oklahoma repaved the highway on our 1st road trip with them installed.

Old 03-23-2011, 09:16 AM
white Buffalo
Post Fiend
Caleb, here is the link to the compressor & gauge kit. Check with Clay - he can probably get it also.

Firestone (#2158) Air Compressor - Standard Duty System Air-Rite (Single Gauge)

Old 03-24-2011, 04:39 AM
danskool
Go Bills !
Received 19 Likes on 12 Posts
That compressor & gauge kit, both bags are plumbed together. I personally like to separate mine.

http://www.suspensionconnection.com/...scon/2178.html

Old 03-24-2011, 05:55 PM
Orezona
Postmaster
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by white Buffalo
Wife thought Oklahoma repaved the highway on our 1st road trip with them installed.
That is great to hear! OK, parts of NE, MN, and most of I-40 across any state are HORRIBLE. I am sure I hate many pieces of 40, 70, 80 and 90. Ka chunk, ka chunk, ka chunk, ka chuck....I'm really stoked now to get these installed. Next month we are heading from Indianaolis to Cuba, NM and back for our summer trip.

Old 03-24-2011, 08:59 PM
white Buffalo
Post Fiend
Originally Posted by danskool
That compressor & gauge kit, both bags are plumbed together. I personally like to separate mine.

Firestone #2178 Air Compressor - Standard Duty System Air-Rite (Dual Gauge)
I'm curious - wouldn't this lead to an imbalance since you could potentially have different psi in each airbag?

Originally Posted by Orezona
That is great to hear! OK, parts of NE, MN, and most of I-40 across any state are HORRIBLE. I am sure I hate many pieces of 40, 70, 80 and 90. Ka chunk, ka chunk, ka chunk, ka chuck....I'm really stoked now to get these installed. Next month we are heading from Indianaolis to Cuba, NM and back for our summer trip.
I've had them on for almost 5 years, they really make a difference. I feel your pain about I-40.....Ka chunk, ka chunk, ka chunk is right! When my yougest was a toddler in her car seat she used to think it was some kind of amusement park ride.

Old 03-25-2011, 02:25 PM
danskool
Go Bills !
Pressure transfer adds to length.

Example. You are going around a thruway exit. Sharp off ramp. The truck will naturally want to lean on the ouside of the turn (like it wants to flip). The pressure from that ouside bag will transfer to the lower pressure bag. Causing the inside bag to Lenghten. Adding to your lean. I was hauling a boat load of wood in my F150 with bags. Bags plumbed together. It felt as though i was going to flip over when i turned from leaning so much, It was scary and i will never over load a truck like that again.

There is nothing wrong with plumbing together. I had it. Friends have it. I prefer seperate plumping though. You get better handling.

Old 03-25-2011, 02:41 PM
white Buffalo
Post Fiend
Now I understand - sounds better seperate. Thanks for explaining Dan...

Old 03-25-2011, 04:45 PM
danskool
Go Bills !
You welcome. The air transfer rate is determined by the I.D. of the hose or the orifice in the fittings. My jeep has air shocks(plumbed together). Tiny ID hose. something like .030. The rate is slow so the tipping/leaning sensation isn't noticed unless in a deep turn for a long time. But our truck bags are using the 1/4" ID hose and it is a lot quicker to transfer the air from one bag to the other. The bags can extend/retract an inch or two in a matter of seconds. Air don't want to be compressed, it will fire through the hose to the other bag were that bag will just grow in length due to lesser of the pressure. Some people will notice it on occasion. Some don't at all. But if you are a driver that examines everything about the truck and what is happening, you will notice it on deep bends in the road, especially under a load. Could get into a sway condition pretty quickly and scare the crap out of yea. It happened to me with my F150. I had to change my draaaaas when i got home. After that, i figured out what was happening and made the change. We make a good year version of the air bags at my work but don't do to much work for the auto industry.

Old 07-02-2011, 04:07 PM
dbass880
5th Wheeling
Thanks for the install write up. That was great information. I can't wait to do the airbag mod.

Old 07-02-2011, 10:06 PM
cowboybootlegger
Senior User
Originally Posted by dbass880
Thanks for the install write up. That was great information. I can't wait to do the airbag mod.
Glad to do it!
Yeah, you will like 'em for sure!

Old 07-13-2012, 06:54 PM
GomerToast
New User
Nice!

Super job on the post and pics! Way,way better than any instructions I've seen.
Thanx

Quick Reply: Firestone Ride Rite 2330 No Drill Installation Writeup