1975StroppeBaja
Postmaster
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Great writeup and pics!! Reps to you

Old 02-10-2010, 10:10 PM
big poppa
Post Fiend
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Caleb, without towing, is the ride a little better, meaning, does it smooth out the ride a bit?? Also, how many bolts and such to pull the bed off??

Old 02-10-2010, 10:39 PM
cowboybootlegger
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Are u doing the in tank mods while the bed is off?
Did em, both the Hutch and Harpoon mods. Good thing too, cause the pickup foot inside the tank was broken off. (makes getting that last few gallons a little harder)

Originally Posted by big poppa
Caleb, without towing, is the ride a little better, meaning, does it smooth out the ride a bit?? Also, how many bolts and such to pull the bed off??
Yes, i have noticed a ride improvement in all the trucks ive installed these in,
both Super Dutys and ... ahem... dodges. With 5-15 psi in the bags, and the truck unloaded, it's kinda like adding an 'air ride' quality to it. Not major, but noticeable.

To pull the bed, just remove the 8 bed bolts, (on a short box), unplug the tail light harnesses down at the main junction behind the license plate, (saves removing the lenses) and remove the three 7mm fill neck bolts. You have to remove the gas cap to get to the fill neck bolts, and i would recommend stuffing a clean shop towel in the open fill tube, as it is easy to accidentally drop a screw into the tank. Didn't learn that from a book...

The hardest part is getting the often stubborn bed bolts out, since Ford had the bright idea to use a T50 torx bit head on a 14mm bolt shank. Not sure what they were thinkin... I broke 3 torx drivers, and finally ended up drilling the 2 worst bolt heads out. If you need new bolts, your nearest Ford dealer will be happy to oblige... for about 9 bucks a bolt. The only Torx driver i found that would stand up to the punishment was an impact rated version from Napa.

If the tank mods are your only reason for lifting the bed, you can also completely remove only the forward 6 bed bolts, and then loosen the ones closest to the tailgate, and tip the bed backward, to expose the tank pickup assembly.

Old 02-10-2010, 10:56 PM
big poppa
Post Fiend
You must have been reading my mind because that was the reason for the bed removal but also, just seeing all the room you had to install those bags was golden, not reaching and twisting your body, just a straight clean low(as you can get) hassle install. Thanks for the info, the more I hear about these bags the more I want to do them.

Old 02-10-2010, 10:59 PM
krejci.mike
Senior User
Great write up, reps to you. Did you say if your going to install an air compressor?

Old 02-11-2010, 12:07 AM
cowboybootlegger
Senior User
Originally Posted by big poppa
You must have been reading my mind because that was the reason for the bed removal but also, just seeing all the room you had to install those bags was golden, not reaching and twisting your body, just a straight clean low(as you can get) hassle install. Thanks for the info, the more I hear about these bags the more I want to do them.
Oh, i'm quite the mind reader... Yeah, it was nice to say the least to have the bed off, and having the luxury of a lift makes me just plain spoiled! Ive always dropped the fuel tank to do the mods, but now having done it this way, i like it better, even having a lift...

Did you say if your going to install an air compressor?
This kit is quite usable without an onboard compressor, but that said, i installed one on my buddy's truck, and it is much more convenient to just push a button to adjust ride height. I've got my eye a wireless system out there, just waiting for the cash to snag it...
"Wireless Air" Air Compressor Kit by Air Lift - #72000

Old 02-11-2010, 12:26 AM
big poppa
Post Fiend
Originally Posted by cowboybootlegger
Oh, i'm quite the mind reader... Yeah, it was nice to say the least to have the bed off, and having the luxury of a lift makes me just plain spoiled! Ive always dropped the fuel tank to do the mods, but now having done it this way, i like it better, even having a lift...
Cool, double cool with the lift , again, great writeup and info, thanks again..

Old 02-11-2010, 07:19 AM
03_PSD
Postmaster
Great write-up, reps sent!

Old 02-11-2010, 07:38 AM
farmdad
Posting Guru
Great write-up and pics but it doesn't count! You have to do the install with the box in place or it doesn't count.... Not fair having easy access to the frame and being able to reach down rather than having to lay on your back and get dirt in your face. But you really did a nice job. Yeah, a bed lift would be nice.

Old 02-11-2010, 09:48 AM
cowboybootlegger
Senior User
Originally Posted by farmdad
Great write-up and pics but it doesn't count! You have to do the install with the box in place or it doesn't count.... Not fair having easy access to the frame and being able to reach down rather than having to lay on your back and get dirt in your face. But you really did a nice job. Yeah, a bed lift would be nice.
Haha, i hear you, but if it helps, i've done it both ways... Installed a set in a walmart parking lot, (took forever, it was the style that you have to drill 8 holes for) and one in a hotel parking lot, one in a driveway, ect.
But i was in a hurry on those, and i didn't have a camera ready. So you'll just have to take my word for it! But if it makes you feel better i did get a fair amount of dirt in my face...

Old 02-11-2010, 10:49 AM
PaysonPSD
Post Fiend
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Excellent write-up and great pics.

Reps sent.

Old 02-11-2010, 12:53 PM
farmdad
Posting Guru
Originally Posted by cowboybootlegger
Haha, i hear you, but if it helps, i've done it both ways... Installed a set in a walmart parking lot, (took forever, it was the style that you have to drill 8 holes for) and one in a hotel parking lot, one in a driveway, ect.
But i was in a hurry on those, and i didn't have a camera ready. So you'll just have to take my word for it! But if it makes you feel better i did get a fair amount of dirt in my face...
Alright, Caleb, you redeemed yourself. I did my son's in the shop but it was in the dead of winter with very little heat. It really wasn't that bad and it will be easier when I do mine now that I know what to do. After all that you have done, you probably know what wrenches you need before you start.....

My son got himself a '98 Expedition with air suspension. I was under it the other day and saw the air pump for it. Have you tried using something like that on one of your installs? They are made for frame rail mounting and all-weather but don't know about the psi that they produce. Would have to do a little more plumbing for a switch, gauge and deflate solenoid but the pump unit is quite compact.

Old 02-11-2010, 01:32 PM
02GrayPowerStroke
Posting Guru
Good job!!!! I will be getting mine in the near future, I hope. Reps to ya.

Old 02-11-2010, 09:23 PM
cowboybootlegger
Senior User
Originally Posted by farmdad
Alright, Caleb, you redeemed yourself. I did my son's in the shop but it was in the dead of winter with very little heat. It really wasn't that bad and it will be easier when I do mine now that I know what to do. After all that you have done, you probably know what wrenches you need before you start..... Ummm, 15mm for the bumpstop, 1 1/8" for the upper bracket frame bolt and upper air bag nut, 9/16th for all the fasteners that come with the kit, 1/2" box end wrench for the air fittings, and of course 13/16th for the lug nuts.

My son got himself a '98 Expedition with air suspension. I was under it the other day and saw the air pump for it. Have you tried using something like that on one of your installs? They are made for frame rail mounting and all-weather but don't know about the psi that they produce. Would have to do a little more plumbing for a switch, gauge and deflate solenoid but the pump unit is quite compact.
Hmm, that's not a bad idea, my only concern is that it wouldnt be up to the task of inflating the bags, as you said. I suppose it wouldn't be too difficult to obtain the specs and ratings of the OEM compressor, might be do-able.

Old 02-12-2010, 03:08 PM
whitesdford
Elder User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Okay, im jealous, so I just ordered a set of these from Clay. Clay you must be having a good week it sounds like!

Quick Reply: Firestone Ride Rite 2330 No Drill Installation Writeup