Notices
1987 - 1996 F150 & Larger F-Series Trucks 1987 - 1996 Ford F-150, F-250, F-350 and larger pickups - including the 1997 heavy-duty F250/F350+ trucks
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

My '91 Ford F150 4x4 Lariat

Search this Thread

Old 02-09-2010, 11:05 PM
thehunte199
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My '91 Ford F150 4x4 Lariat

So I just turned 16 a couple months ago and recieved my first truck, a '91 Ford F150 4x4 Lariat and the major components are in working order but I have quite a few... minor issues
So heres the list... lol;
-Is there a way I can get an inexpensive seat cover? All the seat covers I find do not fit as it its a bench style seat with a built in akward head/neck rest. I have a subscription to lmc magazine but the covers for my seat are so expensive, any alternatives?
-My doors don't always shut when I close the door, I took it to a shop and they were supposed to fix it, and I took it back and once again they didn't do it, I payed them 200 to do it and they never refunded me, I reckon it's been just about 3 months and I'm not feeling going back and leaving my truck there for them to **** it up but do you guys suggest I go and have them fix it or threaten to report it the BBB.
-My drivers side window was also supposed to be fixed, and I have to pull it up while pressing the automatic buttons, how can I fix this and should I just take this back to them to get it fixed or once again threaten with the BBB?
-My gear shift panel thing doesn't match up with the actual letters/numbers, I just listen and feel for the clicks, how can this be fixed?
-Concerning my air conditioning, the air only comes on when I have it on the highest switch and on floor/defrost or defrost, how can this be fixed?
-My drivers side rear brake light doesn't work, i had someone look at it and they said the connection in the rear was fine, and that it's most likely something in the cab, any ideas?
-When my trucks idling, the rpm's go up and down anywhere between 1000 and 2000, what's causing this and how can it be fixed?
-How much would a 4 inch suspension lift kit cost?
-Should I buy a set of 33's for 50 bucks from my friend? I realize something isnt' right about that and they're probably illegal in some form but what is the risks of me getting in trouble for possessing them?
-Where can I find some step ups to put on the bottom of my truck?
-Where you put in the ball hitch, the square piece of metal rests akwardly from the insert, umm how can I fix this?
-My four wheel drive doesn't always click in, what could be causing this? This sucks because I live at the beach and have my beach pass and can't even go driving with girls on the beach :[
-I recently accidentally tore the plastic handle off of the passenger door, how can I reattach this? Wood, glue, screws? Thanks for answering rockin300!
-How much would it cost to repaint this style of truck most likely?

Now to the sound system problems
I have a 500 watt Memphis power refference amp
2 memphis power refference 10" subs
2 Rocksford Fosgate Prime door speakers
wiring, head unit etc.
Two custom boxs forward aimed
This thing is BANGING, it usually impresses friends that just two tens are pushing out so much power

Problems:
-I have screws slowly coming undone from the door panel because theres so much vibration, whats a fix for this? Answered by zxwut?, thanks :]
-Could I put some L brackets and screw out the back so that they don't fall forward onto the back of the seat a little and allow even better quality of bass? Would there be any problems with that?
-I have a rear window and currently have it closed and sealed with super glue and two small pieces of wood, the outside piece is startng to vibrate annoyingly apart, should I just super glue it again?

I know this is a lot, but just answer a question to the best of your ability and if I find it helpful, I'll acknowledge it by editing my post with your name beside the question :]

Contributions: Thanks to Jplinville for basically answering all my questions

Thanks ahead of time!

Old 02-09-2010, 11:30 PM
rockin300
Post Fiend
The door handle is easy a new one is $10 and is held in by an 8 or 9mm screw just take off the door panel and it will be right there ive replaced mine 6 times and its about $4000 for a paint job

Old 02-09-2010, 11:31 PM
jplinville
Posting Guru
There is so much to comment on/answer, that I'll answer in red in the quote beolow...

Originally Posted by thehunte199
So I just turned 16 a couple months ago and recieved my first truck, a '91 Ford F150 4x4 Lariat and the major components are in working order but I have quite a few... minor issues
So heres the list... lol;
-Is there a way I can get an inexpensive seat cover? All the seat covers I find do not fit as it its a bench style seat with a built in akward head/neck rest. I have a subscription to lmc magazine but the covers for my seat are so expensive, any alternatives?

Cheaper is to ignore the arm rest and use velcro inside of a normal cover to hold down around the headrests.

-My doors don't always shut when I close the door, I took it to a shop and they were supposed to fix it, and I took it back and once again they didn't do it, I payed them 200 to do it and they never refunded me, I reckon it's been just about 3 months and I'm not feeling going back and leaving my truck there for them to **** it up but do you guys suggest I go and have them fix it or threaten to report it the BBB.

Simple repair...if the doors can be lifted at the bottom corner, then you need new pins and bushings. Parts are cheap and the repair is very simple...pop out the old ones and install the new.
Report the shop to the BBB

-My drivers side window was also supposed to be fixed, and I have to pull it up while pressing the automatic buttons, how can I fix this and should I just take this back to them to get it fixed or once again threaten with the BBB?

Remove the door panel and lube the regulator/guides...Report them to the BBB and get your money back

-My gear shift panel thing doesn't match up with the actual letters/numbers, I just listen and feel for the clicks, how can this be fixed?

https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/903181-shift-lever-orange-line.html

-Concerning my air conditioning, the air only comes on when I have it on the highest switch and on floor/defrost or defrost, how can this be fixed?

Sounds like there's some leaks in the vacuum system here...

-My drivers side rear brake light doesn't work, i had someone look at it and they said the connection in the rear was fine, and that it's most likely something in the cab, any ideas?

Was the bulb replaced?? If it was the same place that repaired the door issues, I doubt they looked at it closely.

-When my trucks idling, the rpm's go up and down anywhere between 1000 and 2000, what's causing this and how can it be fixed?

Clean/replace the IAC

-How much would a 4 inch suspension lift kit cost?

Sounds like you have many more issues to address first...

-Should I buy a set of 33's for 50 bucks from my friend? I realize something isnt' right about that and they're probably illegal in some form but what is the risks of me getting in trouble for possessing them?

Possession of stolen property is against the law...

-Where can I find some step ups to put on the bottom of my truck?

Pep Boys and Autozone...there are many more. again...sounds like there are other issues that need addressed first.

-Where you put in the ball hitch, the square piece of metal rests akwardly from the insert, umm how can I fix this?

Post a pic, it's easier to understand than your question here.

-My four wheel drive doesn't always click in, what could be causing this? This sucks because I live at the beach and have my beach pass and can't even go driving with girls on the beach :[

Remove the shifter boot and spray the linkage with PB Blaster...

-I recently accidentally tore the plastic handle off of the passenger door, how can I reattach this? Wood, glue, screws?

Junkyard finds are cheap...

-How much would it cost to repaint this style of truck most likely?

Depends on your area and what you want it to look like afterwards

Now to the sound system problems
I have a 500 watt Memphis power refference amp
2 memphis power refference 10" subs
2 Rocksford Fosgate Prime door speakers
wiring, head unit etc.
Two custom boxs forward aimed
This thing is BANGING, it usually impresses friends that just two tens are pushing out so much power

Too much stereo for a vehicle that has so many other problems.

Problems:
-I have screws slowly coming undone from the door panel because theres so much vibration, whats a fix for this?

Turn the bass down a few db.

-Could I put some L brackets and screw out the back so that they don't fall forward onto the back of the seat a little and allow even better quality of bass? Would there be any problems with that?

Should be ok, just don't use long screws that stick out from the back of the cab.

-I have a rear window and currently have it closed and sealed with super glue and two small pieces of wood, the outside piece is startng to vibrate annoyingly apart, should I just super glue it again?

Junkyards have these parts cheap

I know this is a lot, but just answer a question to the best of your ability and if I find it helpful, I'll acknowledge it by editing my post with your name beside the question :]

Thanks ahead of time!
Basically, you need to tone down the stereo...it's a truck, not a dance floor. Also, start looking in your local junkyards for parts.

Old 02-09-2010, 11:38 PM
zxwut?
Fleet Mechanic
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
You can locktite the screws in so they don't vibrate out.

Old 02-11-2010, 09:45 PM
thehunte199
New User
Thanks for answering guys, I'm gonna look into some of this stuff.
Anyone else, please give me a second opinion on this stuff!

Old 02-12-2010, 03:27 PM
little dutch
Junior User
Just going to add to what JP said. He pretty much nailed it.

No. There is no such thing as cheap seat covers for a 90's lariat. It is literally cheaper to get them reupholstered.

Your motor might be going as well. These can be replaced for a reasonable price new, or cheaper from a scrap yard. You already paid to get this fixed though, do what you have to to make it happen.

-I have screws slowly coming undone from the door panel because theres so much vibration, whats a fix for this?

Silicon on your screw threads will keep them from vibrating out and they are easy ti remove later. I prefer silicon over locktite for this reason.