Transmission won't upshift - OD light flashing

Search this Thread

Old 02-08-2010, 01:02 PM
mountainair1
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Transmission won't upshift - OD light flashing

I have an '01 Ford F-150 4x4 crew cab with the 5.4 V8 AT w/OD. Transmission will not upshift. Seems to be "stuck" in second gear. Will shift into N, R, and P ok. OD "on" light on shift column is flashing. OD will not shift, flashing light stays on.

I am getting OBD "P" codes 0743, 0750, 0755, and 1747

Help,

Larry in Idaho

Old 02-08-2010, 04:34 PM
Moto Mel
Postmaster
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by mountainair1
I have an '01 Ford F-150 4x4 crew cab with the 5.4 V8 AT w/OD. Transmission will not upshift. Seems to be "stuck" in second gear. Will shift into N, R, and P ok. OD "on" light on shift column is flashing. OD will not shift, flashing light stays on.

I am getting OBD "P" codes 0743, 0750, 0755, and 1747

Help,

Larry in Idaho
It looks like you are in need of a trans rebuild or a reman unit from Ford which will likely be the least expensive in the long run with a nation wide 3 year warrantee.
If you are able you can install it yourself and still have the warrantee.

Old 02-08-2010, 04:38 PM
mountainair1
New User
A $15 "FIX"

OK....I spent $15 on one of the Ford Mechanics at justanswer.com/car/ford. He wasn't much help until I was able to give hime the OBD codes. He then directed me to the 15 amp Fuse # 23 in the fuse box under the hood. Sure enough, it was blown. I replaced it and....VOILA! Trucks works & shifts like it did a week ago.

So...my next question (which the ASK Mechanic did not answer...probably wants another $15) is where should I start looking for the short/problem that caused Fuse #23 to blow? Any help???

A lot better than replacing the Tranny!

Thanks,

Larry in Idaho

Old 02-08-2010, 10:58 PM
Moto Mel
Postmaster
OK....I spent $15 on one of the Ford Mechanics at justanswer.com/car/ford. He wasn't much help until I was able to give hime the OBD codes. He then directed me to the 15 amp Fuse # 23 in the fuse box under the hood. Sure enough, it was blown. I replaced it and....VOILA! Trucks works & shifts like it did a week ago.

So...my next question (which the ASK Mechanic did not answer...probably wants another $15) is where should I start looking for the short/problem that caused Fuse #23 to blow? Any help???

A lot better than replacing the Tranny!

Thanks,

Larry in Idaho

Glad you got it going.
I looked through my service manual and must be doing something wrong as I can find the fuse panel or wiring diagram for the trans.
What does your owner's manual say fuse #23 is for? What else became operational when you put the fuse in? Just a guess; that fuse may power the solenoid pack in the transmission. Until you have it cured for sure you should carry a bunch of those fuses in your glove box as insurance.

Old 02-08-2010, 11:43 PM
mountainair1
New User
The $15 answer man sent me a diagram of the engine compartment fuse box with #23 highlighted and said to check it as it did indeed run the Trans Solenoids. I had no spare fuses so I pulled the "Audio" fuse from my interior fuse panel to get it running. I have only driven the truck a couple of miles around the neighborhood...but tomorrow I go to town (20 miles) and stock up on 15 amp fuses! The $15 Mech. said to check the wiring from the fuse panel to the Trans. to look for a possible short. Any other suggestions???

Thanks, Larry in Idaho

Old 02-09-2010, 12:16 AM
Moto Mel
Postmaster
The $15 answer man sent me a diagram of the engine compartment fuse box with #23 highlighted and said to check it as it did indeed run the Trans Solenoids. I had no spare fuses so I pulled the "Audio" fuse from my interior fuse panel to get it running. I have only driven the truck a couple of miles around the neighborhood...but tomorrow I go to town (20 miles) and stock up on 15 amp fuses! The $15 Mech. said to check the wiring from the fuse panel to the Trans. to look for a possible short. Any other suggestions???

Thanks, Larry in Idaho
That is just what I would say after finding the circut involved, good hunting. The first places to check is where the wires going to the trans is against or near any metal. Look for rub marks on the wires and work from the trans back to the main harness, also check for loose engine or trans mounts that would cause movement/rubbing due to vibration.

Old 02-18-2010, 09:15 AM
tjthegreat
Elder User
i just had a bare wire rubbing right where the shifter and steering column meet,and caused the same problems as you are having