1973 - 1979 F-100 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Dentsides Ford Truck
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Moser

Rants of Previouse Owners

Old 04-04-2016, 09:07 PM
wyrm73
Laughing Gas
Received 97 Likes on 78 Posts
By far the best that I have seen was on my son's 95 Probe. The driver window regulator broke (it's the cable style rather than a gear) so they used zip ties to hold the window up and used the regulator cable to tie off to the door frame to finish the job. It must not have sealed when the door was closed or something because they also wedged two large rocks down between the door frame and the window glass to keep it in place. ROCKS! WTF

So far (knock on wood), I am getting off fairly easy with my truck. All I have found besides the obligatory crappy wiring jobs is some roofing tar paper under the carpet. Not factory carpet, but the cheesy black speaker box type of carpet. I think the tar paper was supposed to be for soundproofing. Needless to say, it was not very effective.

Old 04-04-2016, 09:15 PM
mountain dewd
Postmaster
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by TheSterling
I'll let this masterpiece of electrical work speak for itself
Honestly, the best of mine looked way worse than that.

Old 04-04-2016, 09:29 PM
HIO Silver
Post Fiend
Received 58 Likes on 48 Posts
OMG...! That it does!!!

A lil credit to the PO that he/she didn't use household wire nuts!!

Old 04-04-2016, 09:31 PM
fordguy2100
Cargo Master
Received 20 Likes on 15 Posts
Originally Posted by HIO Silver
OMG...! That it does!!!

A lil credit to the PO that he/she didn't use household wire nuts!!
Oh boy let me take some pictures for you then lol

Old 04-04-2016, 10:18 PM
dads1977
Elder User
Received 18 Likes on 14 Posts

4th of July spaghetti? ? ?
hey i think they forgot to quadruple crimp one of them....

I am truly grateful I knew my trucks PO (my father)
the worse that he did was aluminum tape over the rust on the cab....

Old 03-02-2018, 08:32 PM
77&79F250
Moderator & parts seller
Received 3,279 Likes on 2,437 Posts

Here is one I forgot....so you have worn out high boy leaf springs on your truck. The swapped in 460 still has a front sump oil pan, you bounce the front axle pumpkin into the pan...NO problem just add blocks on the FRONT. Did I mention CAR 460 exhaust manifolds...so lets just use a cutting torch on the passenger side frame rail a bit, so they fit.

Old 03-02-2018, 11:17 PM
piratius
Tuned
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Did you buy your truck in Northern Virginia from a guy named Woody?

Everything except for the lift blocks was my truck to a T.

Since then, a Ford motorsports rear sump pan, L&L frame exit headers, and replacement motor mounts have fixed most of the major issues... Except the hole in the top of the frame rail, all the rust, the oil leaks, and the broken exhaust manifold studs...

Old 03-03-2018, 12:18 AM
77&79F250
Moderator & parts seller
Received 3,279 Likes on 2,437 Posts

No I did not, and I have since put 4" Rough Country front springs on it WITH OUT the frotn blocks..... I have a OEM rear sump oil pan and front cover to swap in, L&L fenderwell exit headers to put on and will repair the frame when the header install takes place. I also plan to install new rear leafs with enough lift to be able to delete the rear blocks all together, meaning the one OEM and the one the PO stacked on top. I have way to many projects, plans and ideas.

Old 03-04-2018, 07:17 PM
Idaho Highboy
Tuned
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
My favorite with the current truck includes a cut piece of bolt where the 4-amp fuse should have been. The transfer case linkage was hooked up backwards (i.e. the left linkage was hooked where the right should have been at the t-case). Also thrilled to see rust coming through multiple points around the body on the "new paint job" it came with; thanks for the proper preparation before you sprayed, dumb-***. Probably more to rant about, but it's been a year+ since I worked out the gremlins and I can't remember last week. Oh well, it's just money and time...

Old 03-04-2018, 08:52 PM
niko20
More Turbo
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by axidjw
oh lord..where to begin..haha
1. metal coat hangers to hang almost entire exhaust system
2. fan only had two bolts in it and one of those was wrong size
3. brakes only had like 1 ounce fluid and rest water/sludge
4. thermostat housing had 3" of rtv instead of a gasket
5. valve cover had no gasket or rtv on drivers side and was hemorrhaging oil
6. spray painted the whole truck (himself) with "0" prep and tons of orange over spray on everything
Is the pic of your signature the orange color he painted it? It still does look pretty cool from a distance

Old 03-05-2018, 09:08 AM
njdevil77
Tuned
Received 25 Likes on 8 Posts
No pics but my previous 77 F150, The P.O. or P.O.S. as I refer to him. Instead of just changing the rear window seals, he pulled them back and sealed with clear silicone. Added a Lund Visor & Cab lights but never sealed the roof penetrations, caught it early enough by the stains on the headliner and water running down the a pillar. "Changed the brakes"..... I had to change everything, you should have seen the pretzel of bends of steel lines this guy bent, also the truck had a 4" lift with the OEM sized rear rubber hoses, Dimebag Darrel (R.I.P.) could have used them in a solo with Pantera. I literally changed every piece of the brake system, stops on a dime. OH and he used a piece of vacuum hose for the gas line coming out of the sending unit, lasted about 2 days, just long enough to drive it home........ WTF..... He did change out the floor pans and painted them and the frame POR15, so that was nice and is holding really well.

Old 03-05-2018, 09:16 AM
njdevil77
Tuned
Received 25 Likes on 8 Posts
Oh....I forgot to mention. He "never did anything with the factory a/c".... All the vacuum lines were ripped out and the heater box was filled with the old carpet underlay. I replaced all of that and the heater core.... Only thing I did not changed was the compressor.

Old 03-05-2018, 10:32 AM
tblacks70
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My 76 appeared to be unmolested with the exception of wheels and a stereo. However, 500 miles away from home the truck would not start. Finally tracked down a "hidden kill switch" However he used speaker wire and wire nuts to connect it then zip tied it all up so you have to lay on the floor just to reach it.

Old 03-06-2018, 09:31 AM
Idaho Highboy
Tuned
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I forgot this gem... he installed a water pump. One of the bolts he torqued down was too long for the hole; so much that it pierced the water jacket. His solution? Leave the bolt in there, stacked with a couple of washers on it and held in place by silicon (i.e. no threads holding it on). I had the truck about a hundred miles before it started leaking and I had to replace the water pump. Bonus: no coolant, just water. Good thing the truck wasn't transported to Idaho in the winter when it was WELL below freezing (oh, wait, that's exactly what happened )

Old 03-06-2018, 10:51 AM
meangreen92
Logistics Pro
Received 79 Likes on 71 Posts
The trick I always use for things like water pumps is to lay the new one close by, and as I pull each bolt, I stick it in the same hole of the new pump. Once the old pump is off, transfer the bolts back to it, set the new one in place, and you'll have all of your bolts perfectly arranged. I'm fortunate to have had the sense to do that from probably the first water pump I ever did - Fox 5.0 with all accessories...

I'm not quite as fortunate when it comes to motivation, as I need to go out there and pull my transmission... PO told me they put a new clutch disk in it. Nearly a year later when I was doing my cab swap, I noticed two missing bellhousing bolts. I checked the remaining ones, and already knew that they'd be loose. I then checked the transmission bolts, and they were slightly loose too! I replaced the missing bolts and tightened everything up, but alas against my better judgement I didn't go inside to check the pressure-plate and flywheel bolts. Well it's making some awful noises now. I'm suspecting a backed-off pressure plate bolt.

Guess I'll get off my duff and go out there soon...

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Rants of Previouse Owners