Headers, EFI manifolds, or stock?

Search this Thread

Old 08-29-2016, 02:46 PM
fordman75
Lead Driver
Received 27 Likes on 24 Posts
Originally Posted by F-250 restorer
Sorry, Johnboy, but you are wrong. The HD manifold is a highly sought after exhaust system. It flows BETTER than the EFI manifolds. Abandoned Bronco posted the flow numbers in this thread. The problem is they are difficult to find, and cost (usually) a pretty penny. You can spot them b/c the exhaust flange exits the manifold straight down.

I believe that Abandoned Bronco mentioned there being interference with the changing of the starter with a header (hedman). That is rectified either by installing an efi or mini starter, or by simply using a flat pry bar to move one tube slightly for the R&R.

One other thing: an engine does not have to be built for racing to benefit from better exhaust flow.
I don't entirely buy that. The HD manifold has an outlet that could potentially flow more then the EFI dual outlets. But the rest of the HD manifold is still a log style manifold. The EFI manifolds are a better design. And the outlets can always be enlarged by doing some porting.

No matter what you do to the HD manifold, it's still a log style manifold. It's not a direct replacement for the standard carb manifold. The heat riser is slightly different and it doesn't have any shut off valve in the heat riser like the standard carb manifold does. The only reason I see for choosing it over the EFI manifolds is if someone really doesn't like the looks of the efi manifolds. I know some guys want to keep the stock look. Or if making a turbo set up. I know the HD manifolds can be modified for that.

And to add to the above the HD manifolds are more expensive. So if I was sticking with manifolds the efi would be my choice. But I'm building my own headers.

And as far as headers go. There is a way to help with the heat problem with headers, but it's not cheap. Ceramic coating the headers can cut under hood temps down by a lot. But you still can run into starter issues ( just more of a pain removing and installing the starter ) . And most of the available mass produced headers have thin mounting flanges that can warp.