1999 to 2016 Super Duty 1999 to 2016 Ford F250, F350, F450 and F550 Super Duty with diesel V8 and gas V8 and V10 engines
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Ask the engineer for the new 6.2l gas engine!

Search this Thread

Old 12-30-2010, 10:43 PM
Power Kid
Elder User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Hola Man
Re-posting my questions too just in case Mike comes back. The post below was my very first post on this forum and this thread was in fact my reason for deciding to join this forum!
Regards, Eric

VERY good questions!!!

Old 01-25-2011, 12:26 AM
DougieGB
New User
2011 F-150 Platinum 6.2L

I'm new here so if this has been ask, forgive me.

I've read a lot of this thread but not all.

A few days ago I picked up my New F-150 Platinum w/6.2L Engine.

I discovered that Ford electronically restricts the speed of this vehicle to about 99 MPH yet they put tires on it that are rated for 118 MPH. Doesn't make sense to me. Any body know why they do this? Are there any Performance Chips or programers that can remove the speed limit? Would doing so VOID the Warranty?

Love the Truck and Engine but the speed restriction is a thorn in my side.

Old 01-25-2011, 02:35 AM
fz1dave
Super Duty
Okay I'll bite...

Sounds like you should have bought a Mustang.

Old 01-25-2011, 07:02 AM
nycsteve
Mountain Pass
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by DougieGB

I discovered that Ford electronically restricts the speed of this vehicle to about 99 MPH yet they put tires on it that are rated for 118 MPH. Doesn't make sense to me. Any body know why they do this? Are there any Performance Chips or programers that can remove the speed limit? Would doing so VOID the Warranty?

While chipping the motor might get you in warrenty hot water, hitting the top of the engine on the drivers side with a hammer will remove the speed restriction without voiding the warrenty.

Old 01-25-2011, 07:32 AM
Byram
Posting Guru

Originally Posted by nycsteve
While chipping the motor might get you in warrenty hot water, hitting the top of the engine on the drivers side with a hammer will remove the speed restriction without voiding the warrenty.

Old 01-25-2011, 07:33 AM
krewat
Site Administrator
Received 298 Likes on 157 Posts

Here's about the only "technical" answer you're going to get to your questions:

The speed limiter has more to do with the driveshaft ballooning and/or going out of balance than the rating of the tires. Been there done that with my '96 t-bird.

A tuner will remove that speed limiter, but you have to decide if it's in your own best interests to do that. For more about the 6.2L forum, scroll down the forum list and visit the "6.2L Boss" forum

Old 01-25-2011, 07:58 AM
Snowseeker
Hotshot
Received 26 Likes on 16 Posts
99mph speed limiter? wtf? Thats the lowest speed limiter I have ever heard of. I don't think the speed limiter is for the driveshaft, if it is that is super **** poor engineering.

Old 01-25-2011, 08:09 AM
krewat
Site Administrator
Originally Posted by Snowseeker
99mph speed limiter? wtf? Thats the lowest speed limiter I have ever heard of. I don't think the speed limiter is for the driveshaft, if it is that is super **** poor engineering.
My Superduty is limited to 95. My '96 t-bird (and '97 Cougar) was 106.

Old 01-25-2011, 08:26 AM
Johnny Langton
Postmaster
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

94mph is 80% of the 118mph speed rating of the tires.
I'll bet it's actually 94 mph that the vehicle is actually shutting off at, not 99.
Either way,the limiter is there for a reason.
Flash the PCM=voided powertrain warranty since you have tampered with the operation control system.
JL

Old 01-25-2011, 10:09 AM
Snowseeker
Hotshot
Originally Posted by Krewat
My Superduty is limited to 95. My '96 t-bird (and '97 Cougar) was 106.

Over 100 limiters are normal. But in the 90's now?

Old 01-25-2011, 10:18 AM
krewat
Site Administrator
Originally Posted by Snowseeker
Over 100 limiters are normal. But in the 90's now?
"Now" ? My Superduty is 10 years old. I believe that limiter was there in the '99 SD as well...

And before anyone asks, yes, I've hit that limiter once or twice

Old 01-25-2011, 10:20 AM
Snowseeker
Hotshot
10 years is fairly new in modern vehicles. At least to me.

Old 01-25-2011, 10:34 AM
BigF350
Hotshot
Received 14 Likes on 9 Posts
Since the infamous Explorer Tire issue, one of Ford's product development requirements is a 20mph "buffer" between the speed the vehicle is capable of, and the speed the tires are rated for.

This is one of the ways in which they attempt to combat d-laminating, and the low speed rating on the Firestone tires fitted to the Explorer was considered one of the contributing factors in causing them to blow out.

F-450's fitted with 19.5" wheels I believe are rated to 92? (or something like that)

Removing the speed limiter will not void your warranty unless excessive speed was determined to be the cause of the failure. i.e. if your driveshaft yokes fail, they may not pay up, but if the air-con stops working they have to.

Old 01-25-2011, 10:43 AM
Johnny Langton
Postmaster
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by IB Adrian
Since the infamous Explorer Tire issue, one of Ford's product development requirements is a 20mph "buffer" between the speed the vehicle is capable of, and the speed the tires are rated for.

This is one of the ways in which they attempt to combat d-laminating, and the low speed rating on the Firestone tires fitted to the Explorer was considered one of the contributing factors in causing them to blow out.

F-450's fitted with 19.5" wheels I believe are rated to 92? (or something like that)

Removing the speed limiter will not void your warranty unless excessive speed was determined to be the cause of the failure. i.e. if your driveshaft yokes fail, they may not pay up, but if the air-con stops working they have to.
The F450's with the 19.5" wheels were limited to 84 mph. Many, many pissed off owners over that one. But, they chose the vehicle, so..I guess they were accepting of it when they bought it.
Reflashing the PCM will void the powertrain warranty. Other ancillary systems can be voided as well since operating the engine or trans outside of the tested and programmed parameters will put those items outside of their design spec. A/C compressor, power steering pump, alternator, etc, etc, etc....if anyone here honestly believes that the Magnuson-Moss Act will protect them in this situation, they have a RUDE awakening coming.
JL

Old 01-25-2011, 11:02 AM
krewat
Site Administrator
I took out the bushing in the extension housing on the 4R70W in my '96 t-bird, pushing around 135MPH or so. The driveshaft ballooned and/or went out of balance at that RPM.

Quick Reply: Ask the engineer for the new 6.2l gas engine!