2004 - 2008 F150 2004, 2005, 2006, 2007 and 2008 Ford F150's with 5.4 V8, 4.6 V8 engine
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

'06 Ford F150 FX4 -- 4WD Not Engaging

Search this Thread

Old 02-03-2010, 04:10 PM
SpacePirate
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
'06 Ford F150 FX4 -- 4WD Not Engaging

Hi all--

I've been researching this issue for quite a while, and I've come here in the hopes that some of you could shed some light on the issue.

Essentially, my issue comes down to the 4WD refusing to engage (electronic shift on the fly) in any manner, park, neutral, driving, whatsoever. I get no grinding noises while driving, and after flipping the switch, I get no clunks and no lights. Per your guide in the FAQ, and several others, I've already replaced the IWE solenoid with the newer part in the hopes that it was simply a shorted part, but alas, 20 bucks down the drain.

At this point, I think I've narrowed it down a bit, but would like some help finding where to proceed from here... When I unplug the vacuum hose from the IWE solenoid (the valve located on the firewall, passenger side), I do get an audible hiss as the pressure in the vacuum chamber equalizes, coming from the lower section of the tube. When I've had this disconnected while running, there is a strong suction from the lower tube. Nothing at all seems to be happening with the top tube, and I can neither blow nor suck air through this.

I hear no clunks, clicks, or whirrs when I play with the switch. I haven't yet jacked it up to see if the wheels spin independently, and I don't quite know what to tap with a mallet to see if it can force the motor to engage. But all the same, I'd appreciate any help you can provide.

Thanks!

Old 02-03-2010, 05:45 PM
Wilber15
Elder User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Your not getting the orange 4x4 High light?? Get it scanned for codes, it should be setting a P1867(T-case contact plate fault). If you get a this code it needs a 4x4 shift motor mounted on the rear of the T-case......

Old 02-04-2010, 07:19 AM
xjcamaro89
Posting Guru
Received 12 Likes on 6 Posts
X2 on the above post, usually if there isnt any lights its a shift motor problem.

Old 02-04-2010, 03:55 PM
SCRWDRVR
"Obsessed"

Crawl up under the truck and hit the shift motor on the transfer case with a rubber mallet there known to stick if not used a lot. Ford says after you unstick them to put it in 4WD regularly to prevent it.

Old 02-05-2010, 12:54 AM
mattsautobody442
Tuned
x2 on previous. its good practice to engage the 4wd occasionally year round to keep everything working...

Old 02-05-2010, 02:11 PM
brazoriastang
Freshman User
I have the same problem with my truck except for mine sometimes the 4WD will work and sometimes it wont. For example this week I have put it in 4WD every day to check and it works perfect, but today it won't work at all just as you have described. I have replaced the solenoid ($27) and the switch ($85) with no luck, I guess there is a loose connection somewhere. Sorry I am no help for you.
I will sell you my switch that I bought from the dealer for 85 bucks a week ago. Basically brand new just plugged in once, found it wasn't the problem then I put it back in the box and put the old one back on.

Old 02-08-2010, 11:22 PM
SpacePirate
New User
Thanks for the help, everyone...

There are no 4WD lights. I'll try to get my hands on a reader and check it for codes (unless there's a way to have them displayed on the in-dash display?), and try the mallet trick when I have the opportunity. By chance, does anyone have any pics of the underside of the truck, where this transfer case is located? I'm a bit too likely to start hitting things at random with a hammer, and I'm not exactly trying to exacerbate this issue.

brazoriastang, seems like we've got exactly the same problem... Mine miraculously worked the last time I was snowed in (VA) back in December, but no such luck this time around.

Looking around, it seems there are replacement motors available online for around 90-150 bucks, with some reviews stating that they took less than 30 minutes... Does anyone have any experience in replacing this themselves? I'm seeing a bunch of miscellaneous replacement parts, although most are listed for other vehicle models... Any of these ring a bell-- 7G360, BW4406, A148208, UMM4408? Apparently 7G360 is the designation for the official Ford part (per the Ford parts website, and the TSB)... I see a lot of 7G360 variants for much cheaper, although these are for other vehicles (rangers, broncos, explorers, etc), and even a few variants listed for my particular model... While it appears that 5L3Z-7G360-A is the recommended part per the TSB, I see there are older and newer revisions of this particular part. Does anyone have a listing of the differences/flaws among these, and whether or not they'd all be compatible?

Any additional comments are appreciated.

Old 02-11-2010, 12:28 AM
mattsautobody442
Tuned
my front axle won't engage right away it seems...

Old 02-11-2010, 09:56 PM
stanger_missle
Senior User
Originally Posted by SCRWDRVR
Crawl up under the truck and hit the shift motor on the transfer case with a rubber mallet there known to stick if not used a lot. Ford says after you unstick them to put it in 4WD regularly to prevent it.
X 3....

Dude, I had the exact same problem in my '06. I did like 3 hours of research. I came up with IWE solenoid, relays, ect. After waiting a WEEK in subzero temps with over 10" of snow on the ground, I finally got around to checking it out. I pulled my truck in the garage and smacked the T-case motor with a hammer. That's all it took! Then I realized that I didn't use 4WD since January the same year (this happened Dec 2009). The T-case motor was just stuck from not being engaged. The 4WD light turns on after the T-case motor engages, then the IWE's engage. Hope this helps...

Old 02-11-2010, 11:48 PM
tbear853
Lead Driver
Received 1,288 Likes on 1,089 Posts
Originally Posted by SpacePirate
Thanks for the help, everyone...

There are no 4WD lights. I'll try to get my hands on a reader and check it for codes (unless there's a way to have them displayed on the in-dash display?), and try the mallet trick when I have the opportunity. By chance, does anyone have any pics of the underside of the truck, where this transfer case is located? I'm a bit too likely to start hitting things at random with a hammer, and I'm not exactly trying to exacerbate this issue.

... etc ...

Any additional comments are appreciated.
Don't hit it too hard with too big of a hammer ... but it's just about dead center of the picture nelow. It sticks out the back of the transfer case which is the aluminum looking thing. Thi picture is from under cab right rear looking towards left front of truck.

Old 02-12-2010, 07:25 AM
xjcamaro89
Posting Guru
Received 12 Likes on 6 Posts
Just a side note, and sorry to hijack, but I can see the fuel filter along the frame rail there, when i had my truck in the shop (non Ford dealership) for repairs from my accident, i asked them to change the fuel filter while it was in there, the lady told me that the tech's said they didnt change the fuel filter because they would have to drop the tank. That was after many other spats with this dealership concerning my truck repair. I told them that was bullsh** that you didnt have to drop the tank, and i took my keys and left.

Sorry to hijack

Old 02-17-2010, 11:12 PM
skibumx
New User
Thanks for the posts - was under the truck this afternoon, a few taps, and now the 4wd is working.

Old 03-05-2010, 03:39 PM
DogmanDon
New User
Thanks All

Old 03-05-2010, 03:43 PM
DogmanDon
New User
Thanks All
8" of snow this morning and 4wd won't engage,read all the info and tried the rubber mallet trick, worked like a charm saved some $$$$

Thanks Again
Dogmandon
2005 F150 supercrew FX4

Old 11-01-2010, 01:35 PM
mjohnpilot
New User
I've been fighting the same problem for 2 months. I think I traced the problem to corroded contacts in the transfer motor connector. Cleaned them with electronic cleaner and used a small flat blade screwdriver to knock off the larger pieces of corrosion. Now I get a 4x4 HIGH light flicker, transfer case engages and no light engine running or not. Yet when I select 4x4 LOW I get the clunk, and the light comes on. When the problem first started and I hadn't gotten to the corrosion issue, when it would work, every worked or didn't. ? ? ?

Quick Reply: '06 Ford F150 FX4 -- 4WD Not Engaging