Pre-Power Stroke Diesel (7.3L IDI & 6.9L) Diesel Topics Only

How to identify 6.9 turbo in a '90 F250?

Search this Thread

Old 02-03-2010, 12:49 PM
SuperKram
Junior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
How to identify 6.9 turbo in a '90 F250?

Don't blast me - read this first! =)

I'm looking at a 4x4 '90 F250 supercab XLT that apparently had a 6.9 with an aftermarket turbo swapped into it. Is there a way I can visually determine the following:

1) The difference between a '83-86 or '87 6.9 from the outside? I read somewhere the glow plugs were different

2) What's the best way to determine which aftermarket turbo it has on it? Where would it say ATS, Banks, or Hypermax?

The seller hasn't posted pics of the engine bay, he says he'll be back on his property on Saturday. He isn't sure what kind of turbo it has, or who swapped in the 6.9 instead of the normal 7.3, was only able to say over the phone that it says 6.9 on the engine itself. The pictures I have are crappy, but it does appear to have two A-pillar pod mounts, plus another weird older-looking pod on top of the dashboard itself.

Does that make sense to anyone? I've only had a '91 with a regular 7.3 and don't remember anything under the hood saying "I'm a 7.3!" in bright, twinkling letters. Let me know what to look for...

Thanks!

Old 02-03-2010, 12:54 PM
bad12jr
Posting Guru
Pretty well all of the turbo companies are easy to spot on the air box. The Driver side valve cover should have what hp 6.9 on the sticker if u can still read it.

Old 02-03-2010, 12:55 PM
SuperKram
Junior User
Trying to upload an interior pic if anyone recognizes the setup. This is a '90 extended cab. ZF-5, and seller claims 4x4. I think I can make out a transfer case lever.

The A-pillar pods would probably be hard to recognize, but the dash gauge could offer some clues.

Old 02-03-2010, 01:03 PM
SuperKram
Junior User
Originally Posted by bad12jr
Pretty well all of the turbo companies are easy to spot on the air box. The Driver side valve cover should have what hp 6.9 on the sticker if u can still read it.
The guy who owns it is a spanish-speaking towing company owner who says it was his beater for three years until he got a newer truck. Says he has no idea what kind of turbo is on it, but says that you can read 6.9 on the engine itself.

Is there a way to identify a kit by looking at a downpipe, turbo itself?
Is it possible we're looking at a 7.3 with 6.9 valve covers?

Where could I find a serial number on the engine, and where should I try to match serial number elsewhere on the truck?

Old 02-03-2010, 01:08 PM
bad12jr
Posting Guru
In my opinion that combo rocks. It looks 4wd to me. It could be diff valve covers. But its no big deal. The 6.9 is an under bored 7.3 with higher compression. Rebuilds are cheaper and u can build em stouter. Whats he askin for it?

Old 02-03-2010, 01:19 PM
starmilt
Post Fiend
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
The glow plugs are different except for the 87 model 6.9, but if it was an earlier 6.9 the glow plugs were likely swapped in for the 7.3 system. The fuel filter header is different and has no fuel heater in the top of the header and has no waterseperator on the filter itself, but again this was likely swapped for the 7.3 style too. There is a difference in the head bolt diameter, but I don't know if the visible bolt head is a diferent size or just the bolt it self. There is a serial # on the block (not sure of the exact location) that will tell if it is a 7,3 or not.

Old 02-03-2010, 01:22 PM
SuperKram
Junior User
I agree, the combo looks like a winner all around. He wants $1500 for it, but picky about how/when I can come to his yard to check it out. Body looks relatively rust free, but I could be wrong. 3-4 or different colored body panels on it.

Front sits pretty low though, how hard is it to replace front leaf springs?

Old 02-03-2010, 01:52 PM
bad12jr
Posting Guru
Even if u put a grand into it. You would come out with a great truck.

Old 02-03-2010, 02:03 PM
starmilt
Post Fiend
Picky about when you look at it and he wants to sell it. HMMM when you get there feel of the motor and see if there is any heat at all. if it has been started that day it will mask some hard starting problems you may have to deal with.

It usually is srring bushings,bolts and shackels instead of the springs them selves.

Old 02-03-2010, 03:31 PM
FORDF250HDXLT
Post Fiend
Received 37 Likes on 31 Posts
for that $ and 4x4,hard starting or not,6.9 or 7.3 doesn't really matter.
plan on spending 500 if need be,and have a 2k dollar 4wd truck.if all else is fine of course.
the turbo's alone fetch 7 or 8 hundred and sometimes more on the bay.

Old 02-03-2010, 05:00 PM
SuperKram
Junior User
Originally Posted by starmilt
Picky about when you look at it and he wants to sell it. HMMM when you get there feel of the motor and see if there is any heat at all. if it has been started that day it will mask some hard starting problems you may have to deal with.

It usually is srring bushings,bolts and shackels instead of the springs them selves.
Thanks for the feedback Starmilt. I'll try meeting the seller early as possible on Saturday. He said he was on the road and wouldn't be available til Sat.

As for not giving me the address to drive by first, I think it's at an unmanned tow company yard, in Apopka which has a few rough places. In the background of his pics I see other OBS trucks in various states of repair/dismantling. He's spanish-speaking & probably protecting what he has, especially if there's not anyone else to watch it.

I could be wrong, but I like to think I have buyer/seller psychology down to a science!

Old 02-03-2010, 05:05 PM
starmilt
Post Fiend
I can understand his point comepletly. Just try to crank it cold if possible.
I spent a couple months in apopka a few years back. I was trying to talk myself I would like living in florida, it didn't work. lol

Old 02-03-2010, 06:02 PM
dyoung14
Posting Guru
if you have a 12pt 7/16 socket then try to put it on the head bolt, if it fits then its a 6.9, if not its a 7.3

Old 02-03-2010, 07:42 PM
gonecrazyi
Senior User
I tried to get that guy to send me pictures as well. I dont think he is that motivated to sell the thing.

My guess is that its been run hard and put up wet its entire life (or as long as this guys had it). The seller doesnt like to answer questions and has no idea about anything related to the truck.

I was interested in it as well, until I talked to him and had seen better pictures.

Old 02-03-2010, 09:00 PM
SuperKram
Junior User
What pictures did he send you? I get the same feeling he isnt too eager to sell, I just got an email saying to email him Friday morning to see if he was busy, then he'd "tell me" if he could it Sat. Grrr.

Quick Reply: How to identify 6.9 turbo in a '90 F250?