1994.5 - 1997 7.3L Power Stroke Diesel  

Lookin at gettin water/meth kit..

Search this Thread

Old 02-02-2010, 12:39 AM
Duradan
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Lookin at gettin water/meth kit..

I have been lookin at water/meth kits and am not sure what to get... lookin for low price, but good quality... here are my options.

-Snow performance
-AEM
-Cooling mist
- or others

Anyone know of good ones?

Old 02-02-2010, 09:08 AM
strokin'_tatsch
Post Fiend
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Cooling Mist is good. i have heard good stuff about devils own as well. One thing tho. you don't have the fuel to need water/meth. in diesels when you inject outside substances such as water/meth or nitrous you won't really gain much unless you have the excess fuel to burn. you have stock injectors so once your turbo lights and clears up then the turbo is burning all the excess fuel and there isn't going to be much of a gain at all with nitrous or water/meth. you would probably actually lose some power if you threw a 200 shot of nitrous on it with your mods. the water/meth will cool down your egts a little bit, but at this point is it worth the money to not gain much power?? the meth will get you a little power, but u can't run much meth. my vote goes to spend money on something else and get more performance increase. you won't gain enough from water/meth to get you in the 14's anyways.

Old 02-02-2010, 12:46 PM
Duradan
Senior User
Except for the fact that we do not have intercooler's, and i still smoke at full throttle with my chip at 34 lbs. of boost... the water/meth will make the air condense in the cylinder better and run more efficient... And i will be getting upgraded AA injectors in a month

Old 02-02-2010, 12:55 PM
strokin'_tatsch
Post Fiend
how much smoke though? if it just smokes a little bity bit then thats what your wanting and i know your not pouring smoke at full throttle like i am. haha. mine is stupid in that at 75mph full throttle on the drag strip its still pouring smoke. LoL. go with a cooling mist kit. i wouldn't go with snow or AEM. cooling mists system is capable of flowing much more.. or a devils own kit. i think the cooling mist system would be best though. how about nitrous?? no?? i like laughing gas.. hahahahahahahaha

Old 02-02-2010, 01:26 PM
rideracelivemx7
Posting Guru
curious to what your running to get 34lbs of boost? i can just peg a 30lb guage with 1s. you dont have a sig!

Old 02-02-2010, 04:29 PM
Fullcrew7.3
Logistics Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I can only hit 30 as well. Mind you, I need a new chip.....

Old 02-02-2010, 10:06 PM
foxracing0934
Posting Guru
IIRC he's got AB's so with a chip he should be in that area. I can burry my 35 lb guage with II's and stock tuning, I can't wait to see what i can do with proper tuning and even more after this springs motor pull..... She should be an all new animal, hopefully get me into the mid to high 13's without blowing it all sky high lol

Old 02-02-2010, 11:46 PM
oldbird1965
Fleet Owner

Received 125 Likes on 103 Posts
Originally Posted by rideracelivemx7
curious to what your running to get 34lbs of boost? i can just peg a 30lb guage with 1s. you dont have a sig!
I'm thinking like riderracelivemx7, with my mods I can only get 30 psi. I say only but in my modest opinion that's great, I've doubled it from stock.

Old 02-03-2010, 12:57 PM
strokin'_tatsch
Post Fiend
Originally Posted by oldbird1965
I'm thinking like riderracelivemx7, with my mods I can only get 30 psi. I say only but in my modest opinion that's great, I've doubled it from stock.
yeah well with my stage 2's i can only see 27lbs. LoL. my intake plenums are leaking like crazy which i have determined to be the cause of my loss of boost. that and i think my manifolds my be leaking a little bit.

hmmm.. 34lbs of boost and adding water/meth. meth is just more fuel burning which will probably create even more boost pressure.... i see someone having a turbo failure VERY soon. 30lbs will even blow these things to pieces.

Old 02-03-2010, 02:56 PM
rideracelivemx7
Posting Guru
Yeah I haven't pushed my truck to see what kinda boost I can get, turbo has a little slack and don't wana smoke anything yet. B ut ill have a rebuild in there soon. I've pegged the 30 once in 4th, haven't done a highway pull yet. But this fall I'm doing 100% nozzels and push rods, and an adrenaline, but hopfully an ic install before hah

Old 02-03-2010, 03:06 PM
strokin'_tatsch
Post Fiend
Originally Posted by rideracelivemx7
Yeah I haven't pushed my truck to see what kinda boost I can get, turbo has a little slack and don't wana smoke anything yet. B ut ill have a rebuild in there soon. I've pegged the 30 once in 4th, haven't done a highway pull yet. But this fall I'm doing 100% nozzels and push rods, and an adrenaline, but hopfully an ic install before hah

bad thing about those big nozzles is they will be smokey. with the bigger nozzles atomization goes down thus more smoke. you'd probably be happier with a little more cc's and a smaller nozzle such has something like 238cc hybrids with 30% or 80% nozzles. less smoke and being hybrids they take less oil to drive than the A codes do.

on a side note. i see the word Southbend in your sig. i kill u.... haha. do yourself a favor and get a valair when clutch time comes. hahahaha

Old 02-03-2010, 03:55 PM
oldbird1965
Fleet Owner

Received 125 Likes on 103 Posts
Originally Posted by strokin'_tatsch
yeah well with my stage 2's i can only see 27lbs. LoL. my intake plenums are leaking like crazy which i have determined to be the cause of my loss of boost. that and i think my manifolds my be leaking a little bit.

hmmm.. 34lbs of boost and adding water/meth. meth is just more fuel burning which will probably create even more boost pressure.... i see someone having a turbo failure VERY soon. 30lbs will even blow these things to pieces.
I thought our turbo's (stock) were good for 40 psi before you 'blow these things to pieces'?

Old 02-03-2010, 04:00 PM
strokin'_tatsch
Post Fiend
Originally Posted by oldbird1965
I thought our turbo's (stock) were good for 40 psi before you 'blow these things to pieces'?
nah, the stockers will start slowly dying above about 25psi. now to "blow them to pieces" may take 35 or 40psi, but what happens when the bearing gets enough wear from too much boost that it start slapping the housing??

Old 02-03-2010, 04:41 PM
foxracing0934
Posting Guru
I can slam my boost needle against my 35 lb peg so hard that i think its going to go through sometimes lol and I have yet to have a problem... and my shaft is still pretty darn tight to boot. From what I've read 35 is the limit for the stock spinner and 40ish is the limit for the head bolts, I've blown past both of those barriers quite a few times and its all holding up. But some just get lucky with the stock parts.... luckily i got lucky haha. Hopefully I will have solved all of my weak links come summer and then these poor tires will stripped naked lol

Old 02-03-2010, 07:25 PM
strokin'_tatsch
Post Fiend
Originally Posted by foxracing0934
I can slam my boost needle against my 35 lb peg so hard that i think its going to go through sometimes lol and I have yet to have a problem... and my shaft is still pretty darn tight to boot. From what I've read 35 is the limit for the stock spinner and 40ish is the limit for the head bolts, I've blown past both of those barriers quite a few times and its all holding up. But some just get lucky with the stock parts.... luckily i got lucky haha. Hopefully I will have solved all of my weak links come summer and then these poor tires will stripped naked lol
there is always a weak link when your doing performance mods. you break something, then upgrade that part, then another weak link comes around. like you do springs and pushrods then whats the weak link? the rocker arm itself. when that breaks what do you do?? you can drop $1200 on roller rockers!!! haha then the weak link will probably be the valves or valve seats. thats why my heads have exhaust valve in all ports(diff metal good for higher temps), hardened seats from WOP, some port work, springs and pushrods, but stock rockers. that way i can break a rocker and have an excuse for roller rockers. hahahahaha

Quick Reply: Lookin at gettin water/meth kit..