07 Freestyle unsafe to drive. - Page 2 - Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums

Crossovers Edge, Taurus X, Freestyle, MKX, Flex etc.

07 Freestyle unsafe to drive.

Old 05-27-2010, 09:38 AM

phillips91 has much to be proud ofphillips91 has much to be proud ofphillips91 has much to be proud ofphillips91 has much to be proud ofphillips91 has much to be proud ofphillips91 has much to be proud ofphillips91 has much to be proud ofphillips91 has much to be proud ofphillips91 has much to be proud of
Quote:
Originally Posted by Conanski View Post
Unintentional acceleration is controllable in any vehicle including Toyotas.. simply shift the transmission into neutral.
In older cars with an actual shifter and linkage that would be correct. A few of my coworkers drive new Toyotas and their trannys are all electronically controlled. No matter where you move the shifter, if the electronics don't receive the signal it is going to stay in the same gear.
Old 06-03-2010, 09:52 PM
Posting Guru

msgtord is a name known to allmsgtord is a name known to allmsgtord is a name known to allmsgtord is a name known to allmsgtord is a name known to allmsgtord is a name known to all
I just checked at Ford Parts | Buy Parts for Ford, Lincoln & Mercury Cars & Trucks | FordParts.com and my local dealership has one in stock.

$495.00 WoW!!

If mine has a problem I think I will just try cleaning it first.
Old 06-04-2010, 08:28 PM
Junior User

ketchup is starting off with a positive reputation.
Unhappy My wife's 05 montego is doing exactly the same thing

Same thing here, but does yours "surge" only in first gear or reverse? Other than that the car has been great. Let us know if cleaning the Throttle body really works.
Old 06-05-2010, 08:44 AM
Posting Guru

msgtord is a name known to allmsgtord is a name known to allmsgtord is a name known to allmsgtord is a name known to allmsgtord is a name known to allmsgtord is a name known to all
Old 06-05-2010, 09:25 AM
Junior User

Thanks for the link msgtord!

Printed the portions I needed to bring to dealer, thanks. Oh, and thanks to you other posters as well for the good information.
Old 06-05-2010, 01:55 PM
Posting Guru

lakewood is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
My friend has an 02 trailer blazer that shudders and jumps and will randomly shut off, his throttle body was extremely dirty, after he took it apart cleaned the living crap out of it it ran perfect. so like stated before just clean the throttle body.
Old 06-05-2010, 06:32 PM
Junior User

Ok, I couldn't wait

Took the car into ford service, I explained what I needed done, and the service person said they do a "fuel induction" service. I then asked to be sure if they clean the throttle body, and he affirmed that. They finished in less than an hour, and I was skeptical, but it worked, NO SURGES or hesitation noticed. Now I know its just the same day, but so far so good. They also put on a "intake kit 3" part, i'm guessing a gasket, I didn't ask.
Old 06-20-2010, 09:32 AM
Posting Guru

So how's the car running?

To bad the service rep didn't offer the fuel induction service at the beginning of this problem.
Old 06-21-2010, 08:38 AM
Junior User

Car is fixed, surge and hesitation gone

Yeah its fixed, and your right about the service, I've explained to service in the past what was happening, they just don't know. I hate the information gap between tech and service(office workers). If it wasn't for the post here, I wouldn't have found out what the fix was until I had the induction service on routine maintenance. Btw, I also had the tires balanced and rotated at the same time, and I didn't check when I left the dealer, but I washed the car and noticed the weights were still in the same place and the set of "newer" tires were still on the back. I took it back and explained the work wasn't done. I picked it up saturday after hours from dealer and guess what, no rotation or balance done, but sitting in service parking lot ready to go.
Old 07-08-2010, 07:31 AM

tseekins has a superb reputationtseekins has a superb reputationtseekins has a superb reputationtseekins has a superb reputationtseekins has a superb reputationtseekins has a superb reputationtseekins has a superb reputationtseekins has a superb reputationtseekins has a superb reputationtseekins has a superb reputationtseekins has a superb reputation
Quote:
Originally Posted by ketchup View Post
Yeah its fixed, and your right about the service, I've explained to service in the past what was happening, they just don't know. I hate the information gap between tech and service(office workers). If it wasn't for the post here, I wouldn't have found out what the fix was until I had the induction service on routine maintenance. Btw, I also had the tires balanced and rotated at the same time, and I didn't check when I left the dealer, but I washed the car and noticed the weights were still in the same place and the set of "newer" tires were still on the back. I took it back and explained the work wasn't done. I picked it up saturday after hours from dealer and guess what, no rotation or balance done, but sitting in service parking lot ready to go.
Find another Ford dealer and call Ford for goodness sakes. I hope all is well and that you and yours are safe and satisfied.
Old 09-21-2010, 08:25 AM
Junior User

tradosaurus is starting off with a positive reputation.
I have a Freestyle.

You can clean the throttle body in less than 10 minutes. I would do it at every oil change.

Go to My Ford Freestyle .com • View topic - Throttle body cleaning procedure for mor inforrmation.
Old 01-03-2013, 11:30 AM
Junior User

plow/truck is starting off with a positive reputation.
Just an update to tie out on the thread I started. I've been cleaning the throttle body and it's been fixing the problem. I've had to do maybe 3 times since I reported this problem.

Ford has now admitted to this problem as only being a dirty Throttle Body and has sent a Coustomer Satisfaction Program 12N03 to fix it.
I feel sorry for everyone that got soaked into buying a new throttle body!

So, I called the dealership that made us sign the letter stating my car was unsafe to drive, and asked if he would sign off saying it was now safe to drive (after performing the above Program). He said there was nothing he can do.
We talked / argued for about 30 min. and all that he said would happen is we would have to save the letter to show it was properly addressed.

IMO the problem is we still have a letter at the Ford dealership saying we know this car is unsafe to drive. Period.
If a Lawyer could ever get ahold of that letter, he can easily sway a court to show WE are liable for any accident (our fault or not), because we knowingly chose to drive a unsafe car.
This bothers me somewhat that they can't remove such a letter after we get this car fixed. I guess in their eyes it's only fixed if we replace the TB?

Thanks for your Suggestion Toreador_Diesel. It did fix my problem!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toreador_Diesel View Post
It more than likely doesn't need a new throttle body, it's probably just dirty.

The reason behind the surging is that the PCM thinks that the engine isn't getting enough air. The surging is the PCM opening the throttle body more to account for the "lack" of air.

Prime example: I was wonking on a 2004 Mazda 6 and after I got it back to the owner, it kept bucking and surging as you came to a stop. After reading on a Mazda forum, a mechanic pointed out that the throttle body just needed to be cleaned. I took off the intake, cleaned the throttle body with B12 and then brake cleaner and the car never did it again.

I'm not sure what engine is below the hood of the freestyle, but it may be worth a shot...

Last edited by plow/truck; 01-03-2013 at 12:29 PM. Reason: Removed some unnecessary negative commits to keep it relevant to the problem.