1948 - 1956 F1, F100 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Fat Fendered and Classic Ford Trucks

1951 Ford Military truck Air Force?

Search this Thread

Old 02-01-2010, 04:13 AM
hamz52
Senior User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
1951 Ford Military truck Air Force?

Does anyone have any pictures of F1s that would have been used by the military? I have a friend that has one and he says that it was a "Follow Me" truck that would have been used in convoys and such. The only evidence I can see is that it looks like it was painted Blue at one time, possibly had something painted on the doors, it does have tire pressure info stenciled on the door jams. It also has a firewall mounted oil filter cannister that says use military filters, and also has some sort of brace that goes between the spring shackels on the front end (the ones towards the rear) He can't decide to either part it out or sell it complete so I thought I would ask here.
Thanks

Old 02-01-2010, 09:26 AM
Old F1
Cargo Master

Received 66 Likes on 49 Posts
I think that this might have been Navy and obviously has been modified, ………….in my madness, …….I think is one of coolest looking trucks I have seen, a real sleeper!

51fordtruck1.jpg

Attached Images  
Old 02-01-2010, 11:26 AM
51PanelMan
Post Fiend
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Your friend should also check for an Army or Navy tag on the inside of the glove box, similar to the factory Data rating plate.

My father-in-law had a 51 Panel in the 80s that was an ex-military vehicle. It was still painted the olive green color on the inside (the outside was repainted orange). There was a tag on the inside of the glove box giving additional info about the truck.

I've also seen an ex-Navy Panel truck that had a similar military tag and was painted blue on the inside, with the outside being repainted into white at some time.

Old 02-01-2010, 11:39 AM
4tl8ford
Post Fiend
Navy usually used White/Gray
Air Force Blue with Yellow lts (as above)
Army Olive Drab

A "Follow Me" Truck was used to guide aircraft to the proper parking space - most would have a flat panel mounted behind the cab with the words FOLLOW ME painted in yellow highlighted by yellow lights. They were originally called You Can't Get There From Here Trucks - but that really didn't fit on the sign.

Old 02-01-2010, 12:23 PM
HT32BSX115
Logistics Pro
Received 82 Likes on 49 Posts
A "Follow Me" Truck was used to guide aircraft to the proper parking space - most would have a flat panel mounted behind the cab with the words FOLLOW ME painted in yellow highlighted by yellow lights. They were originally called You Can't Get There From Here Trucks - but that really didn't fit on the sign.

You could always get there.......but if the aircraft hit something on the way, it was still the pilots fault!!

They still use them! (those are Lockheed C-5's lined up in a row at Dover AFB)

<!-- / message --> <!-- sig -->

Old 12-10-2010, 07:35 AM
LOWFOMOCO
Junior User
Originally Posted by Old F1
I think that this might have been Navy and obviously has been modified, ………….in my madness, …….I think is one of coolest looking trucks I have seen, a real sleeper!

51fordtruck1.jpg
Actually USAF....That was my truck and this photo was taken at the Hot Rod Power tour in Columbia SC back in 2006. (that is me walking behind the truck). I built it in 2006 and sold it in April of this year....I sure do miss that truck. Thanks for the compliment.

Before....Bought 2/28/06

After....at the 2006 F100 Supernationals with my buddy Bill's truck

Old 12-10-2010, 07:47 AM
LOWFOMOCO
Junior User
Originally Posted by hamz52
Does anyone have any pictures of F1s that would have been used by the military? I have a friend that has one and he says that it was a "Follow Me" truck that would have been used in convoys and such. The only evidence I can see is that it looks like it was painted Blue at one time, possibly had something painted on the doors, it does have tire pressure info stenciled on the door jams. It also has a firewall mounted oil filter cannister that says use military filters, and also has some sort of brace that goes between the spring shackels on the front end (the ones towards the rear) He can't decide to either part it out or sell it complete so I thought I would ask here.
Thanks
Kind of an old thread but...

Yes...Does the truck have a nomenclature tag on the glovebox door? My old truck was a surplus truck at McConnell Air Force Base in Kansas.

If it is was or if he even still has it...I would not part it out. Does he still have it? I love bringing an old thread back from the dead...

Old 12-10-2010, 09:46 AM
52 Merc
Hotshot
Received 2,437 Likes on 1,389 Posts
Originally Posted by LOWFOMOCO
That was my truck and this photo was taken at the Hot Rod Power tour in Columbia SC back in 2006.

What was your method of suspension modifications to achieve that stance? While some may say it's sacrilege, I think she's pretty sweet.

Old 12-10-2010, 09:51 AM
LOWFOMOCO
Junior User
Gibbon's Chrysler Torsion bar (15 year old kit) with Fatman dropped spindles up front. I kept the 5 longest leaf springs in the rear and had them de-arched 2 inches. Also moved the front hanger up an inch...Call it what you want but it rode like a Cadillac.

Old 12-10-2010, 10:34 AM
51PanelMan
Post Fiend
Thanks for posting the additional photos. Just curious, why did you sell it? In my opinion, it's a one in a million type truck before and after.

I hope the new owner kept it as is.

Old 12-10-2010, 10:45 AM
LOWFOMOCO
Junior User
Originally Posted by 51PanelMan
Thanks for posting the additional photos. Just curious, why did you sell it? In my opinion, it's a one in a million type truck before and after.

I hope the new owner kept it as is.
Got many more pics...last count was 347 on photobucket...2 reasons for selling...7yr old and 5yr old....

Add the wife and me that makes 4....truck only holds two comfortably so somebody had to stay home. If had to do it over again I would have kept it and built another one for the wife.

One in a million.....I would agree

The truck now lives in Southern California and yes the owner has no plans of touching the paint. He has made a few mechanical upgrades but he bought it because he liked the patina.

Old 12-10-2010, 10:59 AM
51PanelMan
Post Fiend
Care to post the link to your photobucket account so we can see all of the pictures?

Those are good enough reasons to sell, but I would have found a different solution. Your same reasons is why I bought a Panel truck and the Chrysler (later). In both of the Panels, I have a bench seat behind the stock single seats in front. Both Panels seat five, plus room in the back without the seats. The Airflow is supposed to seat six, but 4-5 fit comfortably.

A truck for the wife, or another car, would have been nice!

One more question, do you remember the tire/wheel combo size for front and rear?

Old 12-10-2010, 11:18 AM
LOWFOMOCO
Junior User
Originally Posted by 51PanelMan
Care to post the link to your photobucket account so we can see all of the pictures?

Those are good enough reasons to sell, but I would have found a different solution. Your same reasons is why I bought a Panel truck and the Chrysler (later). In both of the Panels, I have a bench seat behind the stock single seats in front. Both Panels seat five, plus room in the back without the seats. The Airflow is supposed to seat six, but 4-5 fit comfortably.

A truck for the wife, or another car, would have been nice!

One more question, do you remember the tire/wheel combo size for front and rear?

They were Smoothies from Wheel Vintiques. 15x6's with a 195/60 up front and 15x8's with a 255/70in the rear.

I have a slight addiction to the 51-52 ford trucks ( I have owned 6 of them). I am currently helping my dad with a 52 and I am always looking for the next one. My F-1 days are far from over....I'll just have to build something everybody can ride in or build 2 this time.

Old 12-10-2010, 02:42 PM
Old F1
Cargo Master

Received 66 Likes on 49 Posts
Call it what you want .......
…......how about knock down dead gorgeous!

I'll just have to build something everybody can ride in .
Super cab??

Glad to meet you (cyber-ly) after all this time. About time you showed up! Really liked your truck of course,..... but your buddies wheels look good, see below.

This is my first “Patina” build and I find myself wandering, like fixing non-structural rust holes etc, old habits die hard, I see that you did not do that, left the running boards etc, did you find it difficult to do?

Welcome to the site!

Attached Images  
Old 12-10-2010, 03:42 PM
cmoritz
Posting Guru
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I agree..those are two fine looking rides. I like the low front bumper and the larger sized driving lites..and of course the patina.

LOFOMOCO, your buddy Bill's truck behind yours...Novatoo??

Quick Reply: 1951 Ford Military truck Air Force?