1948 - 1956 F1, F100 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Fat Fendered and Classic Ford Trucks

1951 Ford Military truck Air Force?

Search this Thread

Old 09-16-2012, 12:33 AM
arrowheadfred
Posting Guru
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I got a 51 USAF truck in the back yard. Got a tag on the glovebox like in the above pics.

Old 09-16-2012, 01:34 AM
arctic y block
Post Fiend
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Fred do ya have any pics? Whats the story on the USAF truck. I love all old stuff but old Military iron has a very special spot for me. PM me about it if ya like. Also we are working on a plan to be in Orlando over Xmas. Maybe GTG and swap lies? Wish I could have made Truckstock but the funds are just a few weeks to late. Still may drop in on Doc and say hey any way. Or maybe say Hay by the look of his fields.

Old 09-16-2012, 07:22 AM
LOWFOMOCO
Junior User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
[QUOTE=California Kid;12275600]Does anyone know where the 51 ford truck in this picture is I think it's in California would like to talk to the owner my number is 415 828 7789. My name is Travis.help me out please[/QUOTE

Travis, I do know the current owner....he is the guy I sold it to. He lives in Santa Ana...Sorry to say but I have first option on the truck when he is ready to sell it...selling it was one of my biggest mistakes. The problem is that his wife is in love with it and doesn't think that she will be ready to sell any time soon. Let me know if you have any questions about the truck. Thanks LOWFOMOCO

Old 09-16-2012, 10:00 AM
California Kid
New User
Originally Posted by ibuzzard
Wink, wink!

Thanks for getting back to me. I will take second dibs on this one haha. Looking for 51 to hot rod. I like th paint and stance on this one. Do you have a drop axel? What size are wheels and tires? What engine did u put in it? Thing is cool! Like the license plate floorboard. I also like the military history on the truck really cool. U don't need to tell me the exact price you sold this truck for but trying to get a gage for these. Wha would it cost to build a similar truck? Thanks for information hope you get it back one day.

Old 09-16-2012, 05:13 PM
wulleebullee
Cross-Country
Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts
Another one

I have a 51 that has a Navy tag on the driver door. The grill guard has flag holders at each end. I don't have any personal history on it. I got it from a friend after 18 years of reminding him. He had it for quite a few years before I knew about it. I have had it for 2-1/2 years. Pics are in my garage. It is Navy Joe.

Old 09-16-2012, 07:39 PM
LOWFOMOCO
Junior User
Originally Posted by wulleebullee
I have a 51 that has a Navy tag on the driver door. The grill guard has flag holders at each end. I don't have any personal history on it. I got it from a friend after 18 years of reminding him. He had it for quite a few years before I knew about it. I have had it for 2-1/2 years. Pics are in my garage. It is Navy Joe.
Uhhh yeah....NICE TRUCK! Amazing condition. What are your plans with the truck? Any idea where it came from?

Stunning.....except the rear bumbler...but that is ok...

Old 09-16-2012, 07:40 PM
LOWFOMOCO
Junior User
Originally Posted by arrowheadfred
I got a 51 USAF truck in the back yard. Got a tag on the glovebox like in the above pics.

Let's see some pics!

Old 09-16-2012, 07:47 PM
LOWFOMOCO
Junior User
Originally Posted by California Kid
Thanks for getting back to me. I will take second dibs on this one haha. Looking for 51 to hot rod. I like th paint and stance on this one. Do you have a drop axel? What size are wheels and tires? What engine did u put in it? Thing is cool! Like the license plate floorboard. I also like the military history on the truck really cool. U don't need to tell me the exact price you sold this truck for but trying to get a gage for these. Wha would it cost to build a similar truck? Thanks for information hope you get it back one day.
Here is a build thread I did on the truck...take a look...brings back some good memories for me...

https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/1...ord-truck.html

Looking back....I sold mine too cheap...you can drop 20 grand into one like mine very fast. So what I am saying is that if you find one already done and it is what you want....don't be afraid to spend the money...

Old 04-25-2013, 11:43 PM
Vintagetruk
New User
military f1

anyone ever seen an army issue f1? i just bought a truck that is olive drab with military writing all over the interior similar to the USAF truck. mine is a flathead v8 and it has a carb that i have never seen before with no place for an air cleaner as if its a sealed unit...

Old 04-26-2013, 09:18 AM
abe
One Meadow Green Owner

Received 2,610 Likes on 1,454 Posts
Originally Posted by Vintagetruk
anyone ever seen an army issue f1? i just bought a truck that is olive drab with military writing all over the interior similar to the USAF truck. mine is a flathead v8 and it has a carb that i have never seen before with no place for an air cleaner as if its a sealed unit...
Sounds interesting.....

Can you show us pictures.

Old 04-27-2013, 11:10 PM
Vintagetruk
New User
ARMY f-1

here are some pics notice the bizarre cover over the carb... the heater is also on the driver side which is weird the previous owner said that it is air conditioning but its plumbed like a heater so Im sure he was mistaken.

Attached Images      
Old 04-28-2013, 02:57 AM
Kristof
Freshman User
I love seeing these kind of pictures!
I love the fact that there are more militairy survivors amongst our trucks.
The signs on you're truck are similair to mine, it looks like the "general" signs like warnings and such are a bit universal among the different militairy branches.
My truck is almost done after working on it almost 2 years. Restored it to its militairy heritage.

The carburetor is something weird indeed, I haven't seen that yet...

Greetings Kristof

Old 04-28-2013, 08:46 AM
raytasch
Believe Nothing

Received 244 Likes on 153 Posts
I do believe that carb looks like a "Tea Pot" carb as used on some Mercury models. I had a '52 Merc with that carb or one that looked like it.

Old 04-28-2013, 08:53 AM
oldmerc
oldmerc
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I agree , looks like a Mercury/Lincoln Zepher carb . I saw one for sale on kijiji the other day.

Old 04-28-2013, 09:11 AM
Vintagetruk
New User
Yeah that's it for sure. Thanks guys! I am going to do a full chassis/drivetrain resto and try to keep the body as untouched as possible much like my other trucks and like the US Navy truck in earlier post. If you all have pics of your military trucks I would love to see them. I'm also curious if anyone has tried to track down the history if the trucks ie. base location, deployments etc...

Quick Reply: 1951 Ford Military truck Air Force?