1994.5 - 1997 7.3L Power Stroke Diesel  

fuel pump dowel pin fell in engine...

Search this Thread

Old 01-31-2010, 08:41 PM
rideracelivemx7
Posting Guru
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
fuel pump dowel pin fell in engine...

i was replacing my fuel pump and i thoguht the whole neck snapping off in the block was bad, but i got that out, then the pin fell down when i was putting in the newpump... it sounds pretty far down too. i need a diagram of this engine of what it looks like under the cam, if it gets left there is it going to hit anything or mess anything up? i litterally dont habve the time adn money to work on this right now. im so stressed out right now its not even funny.

some one please give me some guidance and reassurance

Old 01-31-2010, 08:45 PM
strokin'_tatsch
Post Fiend
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
man... as if you haven't been through enough already. this sucks. i'm not sure how far down it went, but have you tried a long magnet?? just make sure the magnet is clean before you put it down there.

Old 01-31-2010, 08:51 PM
rideracelivemx7
Posting Guru
tell me about it, i know there was a post on PSN of a guy that rebuild a stroker and it had a great shot of the engine torn down to were the cam was and i cant find it!! if theres no gears or anything and no were for this thing to fall down and damage anything then im going to say scew it and let it dingle and ting away, but if not then i really need to come up with a game plan.

do you have any diagrams that can help me that you know of travis?

Old 01-31-2010, 09:00 PM
strokin'_tatsch
Post Fiend
i don't have any pics of the cam/crank area on our trucks, but where that fuel pump essentric lobe is on the cam and the rod falls down there i'm pretty sure it would make it to the pan. turn the engine over by hand and if you can here it dingling around in there then keep going til it drops if it will drop. i'm sure you can make it drop to the bottom of the pan, then put a strong azz maget close to your drain plug so that it will hopefully catch the rod when you drive it from it rolling around down there then when you change the oil maybe it will be close to the plug and you can pull it out?? just a thought.

Old 01-31-2010, 09:04 PM
Hussler
Postmaster

In past posts with this issue it usually just fell into the oil pan.
I'm sure that makes you feel all warm and fuzzy.

Old 01-31-2010, 09:15 PM
rideracelivemx7
Posting Guru
it made a distinct DING TING sound like it hit a plate, and didnt bounce, so by the sounds of it, its resting on a platform of some sort, and tahts exactly why i need a cutaway diagram or a thread of someone rebuilding a stroker. anything!

Old 01-31-2010, 09:24 PM
jimwilsonmasonry
Elder User
yep that happened to me when i changed mine to i just turned the engine by hand and cut a hole in the oil pan and pulled it out and welded it back and then jb welded it real good just to cover pinholes

Old 01-31-2010, 09:26 PM
Red97350
Laughing Gas
Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts
Old 01-31-2010, 09:47 PM
rideracelivemx7
Posting Guru
the sound i heard, is that hitting the crank?? i just cant find a single picture of that area exposed

Old 01-31-2010, 10:23 PM
strokin'_tatsch
Post Fiend
there is no said platform in there for it to sit on top of. turn the engine by hand with a breaker bar on the crank and see if you here it. it only could have hit the cam or crank IMO. i have had these things torn down and there really isn't anything. i just searched and didn't find any pics of what your wanting to see. i'm going to take a lot of pics next time we pull and engine apart for these kind of situations!!!!

Old 01-31-2010, 11:51 PM
foxracing0934
Posting Guru
Steve, I thought of another thing that we can do. Tomorrow after class i'll run up to my dads shop and grab his sneeko-scope and weasel that down in there so that we see if we can see it in there. If not and you can't find a picture of that area then that means that i'll have one more reason to go and get that motor and we can just tear that one down and see what all is in there and what it could have hit, if anything. And then if is fell into the pan we can get one of my dads unnecessarily strong magnets and just throw a few of those on the pan and then just drain the oil and move those magnets around until it grabs it and then pull it out like Travis said. But its looking like you may be truckless for a few days, good thing I just got back from Daves with my truck all finished.

Old 02-01-2010, 06:40 AM
DZL JIM
PREMIUM SPONSOR
Received 183 Likes on 83 Posts
I would trun the motor by hand and listen for it to fall into the pan. I have heard they usually fall into the pan, too.

Also, for next time, you loosen the fuel pump bolts and turn the motor by hand and watch the fuel pump rise up off the block. Then you know the lobe is up on the cam and you won't drop the lifter in. Also helps in putting the new one back in, too. Make sure that lobe is up!!

'17 6.7 F-250 KR ccsb 4x4
Old 02-01-2010, 07:05 AM
Talyn
Hotshot
Received 42 Likes on 38 Posts
Good tip jim.

Old 02-01-2010, 07:25 AM
Copedawg
Lead Driver

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts
I can't tell if the following has been said or discussed yet but:
I would turn it over by hand (like said above) then drain the oil and take you STRONG magnet and drag it around the outside bottom of the pan and keep dragging it over to the hole untill you see it (assure it is on the bottom and out of harms way. Then drag it back out of the way and leave your magnet there to hold it in place add oil and go. Then later you can figure out what you want to do with it (just keep checking the magnet to make sure it is still there....and don't run over any Toyota's....if you can avoid it).

Old 02-01-2010, 07:41 AM
427 fordman
Hotshot
Received 54 Likes on 33 Posts
Man, I feel your pain. I'm not the only one dropping crap in the motor!! I never found mine, searched for days with no luck. I'm not positive my allen wrench is inside but I understand what you're going through. I fired mine up last week with no noises so that made me happy. Good luck, no real good advice for ya though except for the magnet. I taped a small but powerful one on a snake light and went in looking. Worth a try probably

Quick Reply: fuel pump dowel pin fell in engine...