'42 Ford Truck cab mounts

Old 01-31-2010, 02:08 AM
Steve Christensen
Mountain Pass
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
'42 Ford Truck cab mounts

Hello everyone, I'm picking up my cab from the body shop next Saturday,(I'm broke now !) and wondering if anyone knows the dimentions of the wooden cab mount blocks that go between the cab floor & chassis ? Or do you guys use something else. Thanks, Steve.

Old 01-31-2010, 09:46 AM
COMPLIT1107
Elder User
Go to:

http://www.computerliterates.com/wc....age~47cabMount

I have information there.. If you need actual dimensions, let me know and I'll measure and post...

Old 01-31-2010, 02:18 PM
mprsox
Junior User
Talking 1940 cab mounts

hi,
I had the same problem, my cab mount wood was rotten. I used energy suspension universal axle bump stops for mounts for the 6 mounting points instead - they won't rust!

why go back to wood unless you want to polyurethane the heck out of them?

the fronts were slightly taller, ordered them from summit racing
1 pair - pn 16.9102 (r) for red color same as honda rear bump stop - for front taller area, and
2 pair - pn 16.9101(r) for red color, same as honda front bump stop - for mid and rear mounts.

some of the mounts may require multiple springs either underneath or in addition to the bump stops.

I also used a pair of jeep bump stops , 2 bolts, red or black color, for the rear axle bump stop replacement rubber -fit perfectly!

good luck, mpr

Old 02-02-2010, 04:25 AM
Steve Christensen
Mountain Pass
Cab mounts

Thanks for your advice guys - & the additional links. Would you be able to supply me the original Ford measurements from the chassis to the bottom of the cab? The reason I ask is I have some 2 1/2" plastic rod and a lathe and was going to get creative... This would set the cab at the factory height above the chassis, eliminating any guesswork.

Many thanks,

Steve.

Old 02-02-2010, 09:00 AM
COMPLIT1107
Elder User
Rear and Center is 3/4" from bottom (lowest point) of body cross-channel to top of frame. Rear point of front mount is 7/8" from cab floor to frame. At least that is how mine sits with the remake of the mounts to original dimensions..

Old 02-02-2010, 09:06 AM
mprsox
Junior User
Exclamation cab mounts

Steve,
I wouldn't do that , unless the plastic is flexible.... you need a material that is designed to be flexible and take auto chemicals, weather, etc and last a long time. my gut reaction is that the plastic will weather and turn brittle, very bad.....

the energy suspension mounts from summit racing I used were about $6.- $7 per pair, 3 pr needed, my total cost with grade 5 bolts was about $30.00 for a total installation, not worth the risk. they are designed for auto use as axle bump stops, a perfect design, ready to go out of the box, just bolt on.

having said that, my measurememts were about 1.75 in for the 2 front mounts between the cab and frame, and then 1.5 inch for the 4 rearward mount areas. I also used a 4th pr underneath the rearmost mount between the underneath part of the frame and bolt washer and nut because the bolts originally had springs there for an up and down flexibility, the bumpers mounted above and below the framerail. I reused some good springs for the front most mount below the frame (2 - 1.5 in springs still good, ea side was 3in total length of spring underneath frame rail..... if you desire, you can replace all these with the rubber bump stop mounts, which would work too.

good luck,
mpr

Old 02-02-2010, 01:47 PM
COMPLIT1107
Elder User
Steve..

I believe the 42-47 cab sits snugger to the frame. Thats why the repo wood cab mounts are listed for up to 41, but not listed for 42-47. Would they fit, probably.. would the hood lay correctly ? Don't know, but an inch makes a big difference as far as seams and clearances. Perhaps a 42-47 guy who has his hood mounted can chime in on his dimensions.

P.S. The rear and middle dimension I gave is from the lowest point of the cross support channels, not the cab floor.

Old 02-08-2010, 02:00 AM
Steve Christensen
Mountain Pass
Thanks for your input guys, I want the cab to sit at the factory height. My cab had alot of cracks in it and I'm toying with mount ideas to limit chassis twist transferring into the cab, I have already reinforced the floor between the two rear mounts. Kenworth & Mack have a 3 point set up, 2 in front and 1 in the centre at the rear, I would have to make a subframe to spread the load applied to the floor though. Nothing in concrete yet, by the way , got the cab back from the boby shop on Saturday, alot of work ahead of me now fitting the cab out A/C ,wipers etc. Regards, Steve.

Old 02-22-2010, 09:53 AM
loholland
Senior User
Steve, If you still want the wood block mounts, I bought a set from Wescotts Restyling a couple of years ago, I think they have an outside guy that builds them from hard maple. They look really good. You will have to call them because my catalog is from 05. Ill try and give you the link. http://www.wescottsauto.com/WebCatal...ford-frame.pdf If the link works go down the page about half way on the left.

Old 02-23-2010, 02:37 AM
Steve Christensen
Mountain Pass
Cab mounts

Thanks mate, I'll definitely follow that up. Your link worked fine & I now have their web address.

Cheers,

Steve.

Old 12-22-2010, 10:09 PM
willing,able
New User
47 Ford cab blocks

Originally Posted by COMPLIT1107
Go to:

http://www.computerliterates.com/wc.dll?wwStore~fn47Page~47cabMount

I have information there.. If you need actual dimensions, let me know and I'll measure and post...
I found this post that shows you made up a nice set of blocks, I would like to know if you would let me know the dimensions of them. I am working on my 47 1.5 ton truck, need to make new blocks mine are crap. Thanks have a great day.

Old 12-23-2010, 07:47 AM
petey shoes
Posting Guru
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
i made mine out of rock maple. work real good. used old ones for patterns. DO NOT FORGET--- the cab is spring mounted. this is where the truck cab gets it's flex. if springs are tired, use old valve springs. if you draw cab down too tight, you will twist it.

Old 12-23-2010, 11:08 AM
COMPLIT1107
Elder User
Willing...

I'll try to draw them up this weekend and post next week...

Old 12-23-2010, 11:28 AM
willing,able
New User
Originally Posted by COMPLIT1107
Willing...

I'll try to draw them up this weekend and post next week...
Thanks I would appreciate it a ton.

Old 12-23-2010, 11:38 AM
petey shoes
Posting Guru
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
i'm sure john will be able to hook you up. if not, i have an older set in good shape i could send you to make copies.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: '42 Ford Truck cab mounts