1948 - 1956 F1, F100 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Fat Fendered and Classic Ford Trucks

1949 or 1950 F1

Search this Thread

Old 02-01-2010, 11:09 PM
Lakotas53
Laughing Gas
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by texan2004
Hey Ross,

Find me one of those $350.00 truck beds with good fenders and I'll make another run up to see you and Bobby. They are all gone from down here
Look up at post #22 there is a $350.00 bed made into a trailer in Huntsville Texas....

Old 02-01-2010, 11:09 PM
52 Merc
Hotshot
Received 2,450 Likes on 1,397 Posts
Originally Posted by Julies Cool F1
Oh EXCUUUUUUSE ME! - so I made a typo and added an extra zero...

There's not a word of constructive input from some of you clowns lately until someone else tries to help and makes a simple typographical error, then you come out of the wood work and it's "DOG PILE."

Focus and get on board with the point......Serial numbers started at ten thousand and one starting in 1951.
Vin information of these trucks from web sites is a reliable and varied as engine colors - completely unreliable.

quote a legitimate source (ie manufacturers page or drawing) or post a picture of legitimate documentation like Ross did.

Kripe almighty!
Gee Julie,
I surely hope your little speech wasn't directed at me. All I did was ask you to double check your information, since it conflicted with my original Ford documentation. I was polite in my comment, and am not sure how you got a "dog pile" from it. If you had something different, I was interested in seeing it.

For the record, there were two posts in this thread where you clearly stated the consecutive unit numbers started with 100001, instead of the correct 10001.* That is not a typo, that is an error. We all make mistakes from time to time, but when someone asks for a clarification, that is no reason to go all medieval on one's ***. Either quote your source, as I did, and which Ross backed up with a photo, or apologize for the mistake and move on. Focus and get on board with the point, as someone recently said.

You are correct in that there is a lot of mis-information, on just about any subject, on the internet. And it is our duty, as a respected source for correct info, that we do our best to police ourselves and ensure our info is the most accurate and reliable possible. And I surely hope you can agree with me on that.

There serial numbers began at 100001 being truck #1, so your turck was the 394275th truck made.
Well, that's the first I've ever heard of that. If it's true then they changed the procedure for the 51 year which definately started with 100001!

Old 02-02-2010, 02:49 AM
Julies Cool F1
Post Fiend
Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts
Originally Posted by 52 Merc
Gee Julie,
I surely hope your little speech wasn't directed at me. All I did was ask you to double check your information, since it conflicted with my original Ford documentation. I was polite in my comment, and am not sure how you got a "dog pile" from it. If you had something different, I was interested in seeing it.

For the record, there were two posts in this thread where you clearly stated the consecutive unit numbers started with 100001, instead of the correct 10001.* That is not a typo, that is an error. We all make mistakes from time to time, but when someone asks for a clarification, that is no reason to go all medieval on one's ***. Either quote your source, as I did, and which Ross backed up with a photo, or apologize for the mistake and move on. Focus and get on board with the point, as someone recently said.

You are correct in that there is a lot of mis-information, on just about any subject, on the internet. And it is our duty, as a respected source for correct info, that we do our best to police ourselves and ensure our info is the most accurate and reliable possible. And I surely hope you can agree with me on that.

You're so coy. I love it.

Well, it's still a typo when you do alot of cut and paste like I do. But in reality, I just simply didn't check my work the way I should have and your right - It was an error. You'll have to forgive me. When you post as much information as I do, there's bound to be an error from time to time.

And this error didn't occure because I didn't know the correct answer, or because I didn't have the page Ross posted or you referenced, I've posted that myself about 20 times here (when no one else seemed to be interested) - it occured because it was a late post and I was simply too tired to go back and re read it.

But thank goodness I know that I can always count on a few of you guys to point those out when the occasion arises. Seems to be a mission by a few folks lately - I'm tired of the mission.

Given this post and our responsibility, especially since my posts have come under such scrutiny by a few folks lately, I'll do my best to shape up Merc! I'm just such a screw up. And I need guys like you to keep me in line.

If you would like to discuss this further feel free to send me a PM and we can have an honest discussion off line.

Old 02-02-2010, 04:46 AM
norvillebob
Elder User
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by ALBUQ F-1
Just because it used to be a stakebed, doesn't mean you need to keep it one. If you can get a decent pickup bed with fenders for $350, I'd go for it!

agreed. I love stake bodies, butif this gets you on the road sooner get it.

Old 02-02-2010, 10:40 AM
mjoiner
Cross-Country
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by rleonfowler
beforeOn January 12, 2010 I was passing the scap yard by my work and saw a guy hauling an old F1 to be crushed. I have always wanted that model so I swooped in literally 2 minutes it was to be crushed and bought it for $300. It is missing the bed and the engine, but is otherwise all there plus plenty of rust. So for a few weeks now I have been combing forums and websites to determine exactly what I have, but I need a little help with this one. Vin is 98RC494275. So I have determined that it is a '49, 50, or '51 with a V8 and is a half ton. I read that the main difference between a '49 & '50 was that they relocated the gear shift to the column sometime during the '50 year. Mine is on the floor, so I assumed it to be a '49. However today I was researching my rear-end. It is the Dana 41 with the optional 4.27 gearing. It has a production date of 9/16/50. Now I am wondering again what year I have. Probably a '50, but with a September date it might even be a '51 (but it has the small rear window I think). Anyway it looks to be the 494,275th truck produced with the "98RC" prefix, so I was wondering if anyone had any information about how many F1's were produced per year. Or are there any other clues I can look for to determine the year. Please feel free to correct any and all of my assumptions or bad research. Any help is greatly appreciated. RLF
Great save! Must have been fate.