2001 F-150 engine cut out...won't start

Search this Thread

Old 01-28-2010, 09:18 AM
Brown Bear
Freshman User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2001 F-150 engine cut out...won't start

Hello All,

I'm hoping someone out there can help. Here's what happened to my 2001 F-150 Super Crew with auto trans and 4.6 engine: Last week I briefly got the "Service Engine Soon" dash light for a few miles, but then it went off before I could get it to my local Auto Zone for a code check. It did have a bit of a rough idle, but it cleared up.

Yesterday, while driving the tranny suddenly disengaged for a split second and caught back into gear as normal. Hmm. I pulled over to check my tranny fluid, but it was at a normal level. I started the truck back up and went on my way to the grocery store.

When I came back to leave, the truck would not start. It cranks just fine and quickly, but no start. I had the truck towed back to my house where it sits now. I'll check for any obvious connections, but if all looks normal what do you suggest I look at before I have to have it towed to a shop with a scan tool?

Thanks for any insight,
Jack

Last edited by Brown Bear; 01-28-2010 at 09:22 AM. Reason: Misspelled word
Old 01-28-2010, 10:43 AM
Joe Finn
Elder User
Try depressing the gas slightly and see if it starts. If it starts, the IAC is bad. Another possibility is the crank position sensor, but I don't know if you can test it.

Old 01-28-2010, 11:08 AM
Brown Bear
Freshman User
Gas pedal depressed slightly, still no start...

Thanks, Joe, for your tip. I went outside, depressed the gas pedal slightly as you suggested, but still no start. The engine cranks quickly, so the battery is fully charged, still.

I did notice, however, that the "Theft" light on the dash blinked very rapidly. I hadn't noticed that before and don't know if this is normal.

-Jack

Old 01-28-2010, 11:28 AM
z 97ford1
Laughing Gas
Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts
Rough idle could be a stuck EGR valve.
I remove mine about ever two years and clean the carbon out of EVERY hole and reinstall with NEVER an issue.

Old 01-28-2010, 12:14 PM
darkmage55
Senior User
hmmm my wife has a saturn car that was cranking over quickly with no start, and her theft light blinked rapidly. she ended up having to replace some bits and pieces in the ignition. look in to that maybe.

Old 01-28-2010, 01:21 PM
Brown Bear
Freshman User
EGR valve...

Thanks for your tip. However, I replaced the EGR valve and cleaned out the tube about a year ago. Turned out that part wasn't the problem. The old one was still good, but I replaced the EGR valve anyway for assurance.

I did get the "service engine" light when that code was thrown for the EGR valve. In my current situation there's no code thrown. Any idea why the "Theft" light blinks rapidly when I'm cranking the engine over? Is this normal? I've not noticed it before.

I feel the problem is electrical. The truck was running okay just before I shut it off to go into the store. Hmm...

-Jack

Old 01-28-2010, 02:49 PM
KingRanchMan02
Posting Guru

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Brown Bear
Any idea why the "Theft" light blinks rapidly when I'm cranking the engine over? Is this normal? I've not noticed it before.

I feel the problem is electrical. The truck was running okay just before I shut it off to go into the store. Hmm...

-Jack
No, the theft light blinking fast when cranking is an indication that you have a PATS(Passive Anti-Theft System) problem. Check the fuse (F2.30, 30 amp) for the PATS in the fuse panel under the dash. Good luck!

Old 01-28-2010, 05:36 PM
fordtech08
Posting Guru
Originally Posted by Brown Bear
Hello All,

Last week I briefly got the "Service Engine Soon" dash light for a few miles, but then it went off before I could get it to my local Auto Zone for a code check. It did have a bit of a rough idle, but it cleared up.

IT COULD STILL HAVE A CODE STORED EVEN WITH THE LIGHT OFF

I pulled over to check my tranny fluid, but it was at a normal level. I started the truck back up and went on my way to the grocery store.

YOU STARTED THE TRUCK BACK UP? YOU NEED TO CHECK THE TRANS FLUID WITH THE TRUCK RUNNING

and with your pats blinking fast try a different key, or do you have another pats key on your key chain?

Old 01-28-2010, 06:47 PM
projectSHO89
Hotshot
Received 869 Likes on 721 Posts
If your THEFT light is fast-flashing, the truck will NEVER start since the PCM thinks it is being stolen.

You need to resolve the anti-theft system concern. Anything else is a waste of time.

Old 01-28-2010, 08:49 PM
Brown Bear
Freshman User
Lightbulb Good tips, but no start...

Hello fellows,

I'll start with John's suggestion, and that I checked the P.A.T.S. 30 amp fuse (located as per my owner's manual diagram) and it not only looks visually okay, but I checked it with my continuity meter as well, and it checks good.

Next is Dan's suggestion about using another P.A.T.S. key for the truck. I used my spare key, but no start. (Man, I was hoping that was the easy fix.) As a side note: yes, you are correct, I misspoke when I said "I stopped the truck" when I checked my fluid. It was running when I checked it. The fluid level is fine. That's a very good point about a code being stored despite the "Check Engine Soon" light currently being off. Three employees at Auto Zone said the engine light had to be on to check it. (Yes, I hear you guys laughing.) Hmm. I'll check on that from another source.

Finally, SHO89's thoughts that there's an anti-theft issue, and so the truck will never start is very good insight. I'll do some research about what to troubleshoot for the anti-theft system. Would anything in the 2001 service bulletins (from this board) affect the anti-theft system: Technical Service Bulletins: 2001 F-150 ?

Gentlemen, thanks for all your great suggestions,
Jack

Old 01-28-2010, 09:10 PM
fordtech08
Posting Guru
in the central junction box check fuse 2 and 6 both 5 amp fuses and you already checked 30 which is a 30amp

Old 01-29-2010, 06:50 AM
projectSHO89
Hotshot
Received 869 Likes on 721 Posts
Prerequisites for a successful PATS prove-out:

1) PCM is properly receiving power. Check PCM power relay and related fuses. Verify that MIL illuminates during bulb prove-out.

2) Instrument cluster is properly receiving power. Check all related fuses.

3) Check the connector on the transceiver ring around the ignition cylinder. The ring is an antenna that excites the RFID chip inside the PATS key and reads the response.

Your 2001 has built-in diagnostics that include certain PATS functions. SEARCH (or google it) phrase "+HEC +Dealer +Test +Mode" to dig it up. Post any DTCs that are displayed.

Old 01-29-2010, 06:58 AM
Brown Bear
Freshman User
Lightbulb Fuses and P.A.T.S...

Thanks, Dan, for your tip about those fuses. You, too, ProjectSHO89. I'll check those fuses and the other systems when the rain lets up. I'm in Central Texas and big cold front blew in last night along with really hard rains. Unfortunately, the truck stays outside in the driveway.

I'll keep you fellows posted, hopefully, soon.

Thanks a bunch,
Jack

Old 01-29-2010, 07:35 PM
newfordy
Tuned
Received 23 Likes on 13 Posts
similar symptoms

BBear, my '01, 5.4, auto has very similar symptoms, only intermittent. I know when it will not start, the odometer will display dashes instead of numbers when key is in the "on" position. I too has the "slipping" trans symptom when taking off from stop sign. Going to try the checks offered by others here.

Old 01-30-2010, 12:40 PM
Brown Bear
Freshman User
Talking Problem Solved!

Hello Gentlemen,

It's always a great day when you get the truck running with the help of other Ford truck owners - and not the dealer! LOL.

I started with the most obvious procedure and made sure all the fuses related to the PCM unit were good. They checked out okay. Then I simply taped on the PCM #2 relay (under the dash) and the truck stared right up. Huh? It was that simple. Of course, I'll go buy another relay ASAP for insurance.

Are these relays known to go bad in anyone's experience? I appreciate everyone's advice, especially Project SHO89's insight. Well done, sir.

Thanks again fellows,
Jack

Quick Reply: 2001 F-150 engine cut out...won't start