6.4L Power Stroke Diesel Engine fitted to 2008 - 2010 F250, F350 and F450 pickup trucks and F350 + Cab Chassis

Paint Match Door Handles?

Old 01-27-2010, 08:51 PM
LaxPlaya21
Posting Guru
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Paint Match Door Handles?

I am not sure if the Paint Match Door Handles were an option, or for a certain package level, but I don't have them. I have the Royal Red Metallic truck, with flat black door handles. I wish they were paint match, I think it would be a much cleaner look. I went to the dealer and they charge $60 per handle, then I need to paint them, and the labor. So I am probably looking at $400+ for paint match handles. How do you guys feel it will look paint matched? The tough thing is, that you can't paint the flat black ones because of the type of plastic it is and the surface.

Thanks a lot!

Old 01-28-2010, 08:37 AM
jeff7825
Posting Guru
It will look really good. Any of these trucks look good with paint to match door handles, no matter what color. If you are getting those handles for $60 per handle, that is really cheap. I had to buy the two rear handles for mine from the dealer when I put paint to match handles on, and they were like around $90 for each handle. And that was with our shop discount. I say go for it though, it will be worth the money.

Old 01-28-2010, 08:55 AM
Leonandlisa
Tuned
I do think it would look good as I have seen them on trucks with the FX4 off road package. I personally changed out my handles to billet aluminum for security reasons. We have had a number of our company trucks stolen because with the plastic handles they can easily be broken to access the lock assembly.

I think the color match looks the best but I wanted to give you something to think about, it just depends on where you live.

Leon

Old 01-28-2010, 09:43 AM
koboss1
Elder User
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
you ever think of those chrome covers that you can put on the handles.. they look good too and would show off that color of yours real nice specially with chrome bumpers!!
and would be alot less than new handles and paint job and re-re.

koboss

Old 01-28-2010, 08:11 PM
LaxPlaya21
Posting Guru
Originally Posted by koboss1
you ever think of those chrome covers that you can put on the handles.. they look good too and would show off that color of yours real nice specially with chrome bumpers!!
and would be alot less than new handles and paint job and re-re.

koboss

ya that is always an option, however, I have more chrome on this thing than a Harley Davidson haha. I am going to talk to the body guy and see what he thinks.

Old 01-28-2010, 08:41 PM
koboss1
Elder User
sounds good, i have the color matched handles and the matched bumpers on the king ranch... and i wish i had chrome bumpers.. the salt and the stone chips make them look like hell after a year.. which means new paint in the spring..

i hope the 11's have chrome bumpers and no paint..

i have an idea... call partsguyed and ask him to get you the handles it will be cheap... then ask him to get a price from his in house paint shop to finish and then bubble wrap and ship to you.. im willing to bet it will be the best price and best quality..

good luck

koboss

Old 01-29-2010, 06:49 PM
LaxPlaya21
Posting Guru
Originally Posted by koboss1
sounds good, i have the color matched handles and the matched bumpers on the king ranch... and i wish i had chrome bumpers.. the salt and the stone chips make them look like hell after a year.. which means new paint in the spring..

i hope the 11's have chrome bumpers and no paint..

i have an idea... call partsguyed and ask him to get you the handles it will be cheap... then ask him to get a price from his in house paint shop to finish and then bubble wrap and ship to you.. im willing to bet it will be the best price and best quality..

good luck

koboss
Ya that is a good idea, I will definitley do that. The chrome is def tougher than the paint, but even it takes a beating from the stones and sand. I wonder how hard it is to remove the handles.

Old 01-29-2010, 10:37 PM
jeff7825
Posting Guru
Originally Posted by LaxPlaya21
Ya that is a good idea, I will definitley do that. The chrome is def tougher than the paint, but even it takes a beating from the stones and sand. I wonder how hard it is to remove the handles.

Two bolts and a clip for the rod. And there should be a clip for a rod on the lock on the drivers door.
<input id="gwProxy" type="hidden"><!--Session data--><input onclick="jsCall();" id="jsProxy" type="hidden">

Old 01-31-2010, 07:38 PM
LaxPlaya21
Posting Guru
Originally Posted by jeff7825
Two bolts and a clip for the rod. And there should be a clip for a rod on the lock on the drivers door.
<INPUT id=gwProxy type=hidden><!--Session data--><INPUT id=jsProxy onclick=jsCall(); type=hidden>
Thanks a lot for the great tips! That will save me a ton of time. I think I am going to go for it.

Old 10-27-2011, 07:57 AM
RUNVS
FTE Chapter Leader
Originally Posted by Leonandlisa
I do think it would look good as I have seen them on trucks with the FX4 off road package. I personally changed out my handles to billet aluminum for security reasons. We have had a number of our company trucks stolen because with the plastic handles they can easily be broken to access the lock assembly.

I think the color match looks the best but I wanted to give you something to think about, it just depends on where you live.

Leon
Yes, I realize this is an older thread but that's what you find when you use the search...

Anyway, are the billet handles truly billet? Meaning is the entire door handle and cover aluminum or just the lever handle? I would WELCOME the concept of all-billet for door handles for security!! I was looking for paint-matched handles when I came across this thread.

I didn't know billet were available but after finding this I have seen where the cover is paint-matched and the lever handle is billet - that looks bad-***!!! But i'd like the cover to be aluminum too, after my truck was stolen I'm adding more security features!!!

If they really want it they will get it but you can bet I'll make them work their *** off to get it again!!!

Thanks!!

Old 10-27-2011, 09:14 PM
wp6529
More Turbo
I've not seen any "billet" handles, probably since I haven't looked for any, but they will not be security upgrades, they will just be "bling".

The failure mode for breaking into these trucks is not the handle assembly itself, it is the mounting of the handle assembly to the relatively thin door sheetmetal. A strong handle assembly will rip out just as easily as a weak handle assembly.

A security upgrade requires additional reinforcing metal plates (steel) to be installed behind the handle assembly to strengthen it's mounting and to shield access to the door lock operating rods. Such reinforcing will be equally effective with the base model plastic door handle assemblies.

Of course if you upgrade the locks, the thief will just break a window and you'll be vacuuming up glass chips from the carpeting for the next 5 years.