2007 - 2014 Expedition & Navigator 2007, 2008, 2009, 2010, 2011, 2012, 2013 and 2014 Ford Expedition and Lincoln Navigator

Audio/Video Purchase Coming...please make sure I got all the parts I need

Search this Thread

Old 01-25-2010, 12:28 AM
Tylus
MMNC (SS)(Ret)

Received 30 Likes on 22 Posts
Question Audio/Video Purchase Coming...please make sure I got all the parts I need

I get my Tax Return on Friday, and will be buying everything that night. I want everything installed and working by the 4th if possible.

The basic plan is a Double Din DVD deck for the dash, 2 headrest monitor's for the 2nd row, and a OEM Overhead DVD monitor for the 3rd row.

here is my parts list
Head Unit: JVC KW-AVX820
I'm not 100% stuck on this unit. But it has the best price I've found for the features I'm after.

1. Bluetooth Included...no extra modules needed to buy
2. 100% iPod/iPhone control
3. DVD Playback
4. Double Din
2nd Row Headrest Monitors
10" Monitor/DVD Player Headrests

or

9" Monitor Headrests (non-DVD)

I like the idea of the 2nd row having the option to watch the dash unit feed, or the ability to watch their own programming independantly.

but is it worth another $100? not sure

3rd Row OEM Overhead DVD
OEM OVHD Unit

I had intended to use 4 of the headrest monitors...but the 2nd row seats get folded down. Alot.

I'm scared that the monitors will get damaged. Is this a valid concern?

btw, I will be running the OEM Backup Camera to the new headunit.

anything else I need to grab, or will seriously need? I am a serious Car Audio/Video noob. I know about ZERO!!!

Old 01-25-2010, 10:38 AM
berry1234
Postmaster
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I was told by Crutchfeild I would need the PAC C2R-FRD1 if I wanted to add a aftermarket head unit to the existing amp. Not sure if you knew this.

Old 01-25-2010, 10:42 AM
Tylus
MMNC (SS)(Ret)

I don't think I have an amp in the Expy. It has a 6-disc currently...but I've never seen anything else

Old 01-25-2010, 10:45 AM
berry1234
Postmaster
Originally Posted by tylus
I don't think I have an amp in the Expy. It has a 6-disc currently...but I've never seen anything else
I know there is one on the stock sub. I am not sure if that powers only the sub, or the other speakers as well.

Old 01-26-2010, 11:06 AM
eddiemoney
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Personally headrest monitors can be tricky to fab in with the tilted headrest, I would opt for the 10-12 inch drop down instead.

Old 01-26-2010, 11:33 AM
berry1234
Postmaster
One thing to add. I would not buy any head unit without some sort of time correction feature. This makes the sound so much better. It brings the sound stage up in front of you. Alpine and Pioneer have this on some of there DVD units.

Old 01-26-2010, 07:20 PM
08 Navigator
New User
The basic plan is a Double Din DVD deck for the dash, 2 headrest monitor's for the 2nd row, and a OEM Overhead DVD monitor for the 3rd row.
I bought a OEM Overhead DVD for my 08 Navigator and have not installed it yet. Do you know if there are any installation issues or mounting brackets needed?

Thanks

Old 01-27-2010, 12:07 AM
Tylus
MMNC (SS)(Ret)

Originally Posted by berry1234
One thing to add. I would not buy any head unit without some sort of time correction feature. This makes the sound so much better. It brings the sound stage up in front of you. Alpine and Pioneer have this on some of there DVD units.
maybe if I was an audiophile...but all I care about is if I can hear the music. I am not terribly picky

My Mustang has that Shaker 1,000 setup and I wish I had my $1,000 back. I had fun with it one day, and haven't used the thing since. I was rocking out some Country Music with the bass turned up all the way like some rapper punk...that baby hits hard

Originally Posted by 08 Navigator
I bought a OEM Overhead DVD for my 08 Navigator and have not installed it yet. Do you know if there are any installation issues or mounting brackets needed?

Thanks
there is a bracket required...but I don't know if it is already in there or not.

the more I think about it, I'm thinking I'm just going to just buy 4 of the headrest monitors that each have a built in headrest monitor...that way each of the kids can watch what they want and not bother me.

that, and the install will be easier to route the wires on the floor than dealing with the roof liner

Old 01-27-2010, 09:32 AM
5.4 Shelby
New User
the more I think about it, I'm thinking I'm just going to just buy 4 of the headrest monitors that each have a built in headrest monitor...that way each of the kids can watch what they want and not bother me.

that, and the install will be easier to route the wires on the floor than dealing with the roof liner
It would be even easier and probably cheaper to buy each of the kids a portable DVD player. They each have their own programming, sound and video source. They also allow them to take it into gramma's house when you get there.

Old 01-27-2010, 10:37 AM
berry1234
Postmaster
Originally Posted by 5.4 Shelby
It would be even easier and probably cheaper to buy each of the kids a portable DVD player. They each have their own programming, sound and video source. They also allow them to take it into gramma's house when you get there.
I have thought of this too. I don't want to spend that much to install the gear to find I sell the truck, it get's stolen, etc. Even two sets of these would work.
Amazon.com: Philips PET7402/37 7-Inch Dual Screen Portable DVD Player with Car Mount, Black: Electronics

Old 01-27-2010, 11:11 AM
5.4 Shelby
New User
That is what we did in our last minivan. The headphones all broke over time. I did not want to lilsten to their movies while driving. So, I got them each portables. They also have cases for them that can be attached to the back of the seat in front of them.

I realize this route is nowhere near as cool, but, it is a lot cheaper and a whole lot easier. No potential damage to the car either.

Old 01-29-2010, 03:43 AM
Tylus
MMNC (SS)(Ret)

Originally Posted by 5.4 Shelby
That is what we did in our last minivan. The headphones all broke over time. I did not want to lilsten to their movies while driving. So, I got them each portables. They also have cases for them that can be attached to the back of the seat in front of them.

I realize this route is nowhere near as cool, but, it is a lot cheaper and a whole lot easier. No potential damage to the car either.
that is what I have installed currently.

had a set of portables that mount to the headrests for the last 3-4 yrs now. works okay, but not the cleanest look on the interior.

I paid $200 for it back in the day. Tonight, I just paid $230 for a pair of Headrest Units. Each monitor has it's own DVD player...and/or it can function as a monitor.

also ordered the JVC AVX820 headunit. was able to find it for $435. pretty happy about that.

I'll post pictures up if I can get it installed. I leave again in the next 2 weeks and hopefully all my goodies arrive before then

Old 01-29-2010, 09:20 AM
5.4 Shelby
New User
I dont blame you for wanting to go the cleaner, tricked out look. They are kind of a pain being strapped in and wires hanging. We don't travel that much, so we just throw them in when we go long trips. Shorter trips, the kids keep them on their laps.

My new expy has the stock DVD system in it. My son watched video on it last night. My daughters are getting to the ipod age anyway.

Old 01-29-2010, 10:22 AM
berry1234
Postmaster
Do the headrest monitors tilt forward enough to compensate for the headrest being at such a forward angle?

Old 01-30-2010, 02:53 AM
Tylus
MMNC (SS)(Ret)

no idea berry.

I'll post up lots of photo's and impressions of it once I get everything installed. we'll see

currently researching if you can do a Video Lock bypass with the AVX820...but not having any luck