V-10 muffler question of the day - Page 2 - Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums

Notices
1999 to 2016 Super Duty 1999 to 2016 Ford F250, F350, F450 and F550 Super Duty with diesel V8 and gas V8 and V10 engines

V-10 muffler question of the day

Old 01-27-2010, 01:12 PM
VAXB
Senior User
VAXB is starting off with a positive reputation.
As stated before try a flowmater with more volume like a 77 or the blg block muffler. I have a single 3" pipe from the cat. I have tried a Flowmaster 44 single 3" in dual 2 1/2 out. This sounded very ricish and alot of pushing at higher RPM. A Thrush single 3' in and out chambered, sound was still ODD. A magnaflow striaght 3" bullet type and oval single 3" in/out both sounded nice but resulted in NO low end power. For comparision sake I even tried no muffler with pipe and a turndown on the back of the cat. Sound was not alot diffrent from the magnflows maybe a little higher pitched with some crackle on decil and wih the same result in power. This motor really likes it's back pressure. I now run a Flowmaster 77 single 3" in/out and the sound is deep with no crackle or drone. Power is the best of all combo's

Old 01-27-2010, 01:35 PM
TEAM HARD
Senior User
TEAM HARD is starting off with a positive reputation.
VAXB and DKF... your larger volume muffler posts raise a question for me. I like the way the dual Cherry Bomb Extreme sounds in the Youtube vid in this thread, however, DKF, you say that it will make some strange noises with that small of a muffler body underload and in person. What about the non-fiberglass Cherry Bomb Vortex? Its a larger (albeit straight through design) volume canister that claims to redirect the high notes and blah blah blah deep sound comes through. Anyone think this one would be a good idea, anyone have experience with it in the past?

Old 01-27-2010, 01:59 PM
sesh1975
Senior User
sesh1975 is starting off with a positive reputation.
Originally Posted by TEAM HARD View Post
VAXB and DKF... your larger volume muffler posts raise a question for me. I like the way the dual Cherry Bomb Extreme sounds in the Youtube vid in this thread, however, DKF, you say that it will make some strange noises with that small of a muffler body underload and in person. What about the non-fiberglass Cherry Bomb Vortex? Its a larger (albeit straight through design) volume canister that claims to redirect the high notes and blah blah blah deep sound comes through. Anyone think this one would be a good idea, anyone have experience with it in the past?

Ill chime in again here. Im running the CB extreme Single in to Single out I have had zero issue with any strange noises. I also have the stock Cat. in place. Sounds great through out the RPM range.

Old 01-27-2010, 02:00 PM
VAXB
Senior User
VAXB is starting off with a positive reputation.
It appears to me that the Vortex is their version of a flowmaster and has about the same flow rates. My guess is it will sound about the same. Sound is just way to personal and objective to describe over the internet. You really have to hear it in person and then it's still a matter of personal taste.
While the Viper is a awsome car, I personally don't like the sound.

Old 01-27-2010, 02:07 PM
TEAM HARD
Senior User
Originally Posted by sesh1975 View Post
Ill chime in again here. Im running the CB extreme Single in to Single out I have had zero issue with any strange noises. I also have the stock Cat. in place. Sounds great through out the RPM range.

I like this idea, you have a single out and how far does the exit pipe go before you turndown? Where did you make the cut on the stock 3" to put the muffler? If you had it to do again is there any benefit to a side exit before the axle or would you keep it the same? Any loss in low end?

Old 01-27-2010, 02:20 PM
dkf
Post Fiend
dkf is a splendid one to beholddkf is a splendid one to beholddkf is a splendid one to beholddkf is a splendid one to beholddkf is a splendid one to beholddkf is a splendid one to beholddkf is a splendid one to beholddkf is a splendid one to behold
There are lot of variables like exhaust exit location, manifolds or headers, y-pipe type (stock or spd), year of truck and etc. Keep in mind the 05'up SDs have a completely different system which is better and the exhaust manifolds are a lot better also than the 2V came with.

The 2V V10 with a loud muffler can make some weird sounds with an SPD y-pipe and stock manifolds. Dealt with that on two V10s but they are 2Vs. Even a large capacity muffler will not completely make the sounds go away which are caused by flutter.

It depends what you like but no matter what you do your not going to make the V10 sound like a V8. I'm happy with my current system but it was a lot of trial and error to get there.

Old 01-27-2010, 02:35 PM
TEAM HARD
Senior User
In no way am i trying to make it sound like a V8, I dont want that. I want it to be different and loud, I just dont want it to sound terrible. By terrible i dont want it to sound broken, if its different fine, just dont want it to sound weak or like its not running right.

Old 01-27-2010, 02:56 PM
sesh1975
Senior User
Originally Posted by TEAM HARD View Post
I like this idea, you have a single out and how far does the exit pipe go before you turndown? Where did you make the cut on the stock 3" to put the muffler? If you had it to do again is there any benefit to a side exit before the axle or would you keep it the same? Any loss in low end?
What I had done was the stock exhaust cut just behind the cat and oxygen sensor, from there the pipe goes back to the stock muffler location and that is where the muffler is installed. From the muffler it goes back and then bends towards the center of the truck, up and over the rear diff. then turns down. Keep in mind Im lifted 12" therefore I do not carry a spare tire so I can put the exhaust just about anywhere I want. I will take a picture of the exhaust this afternoon and post it up for you to see. I did not notice any loss or any gains with this setup.

Old 01-27-2010, 04:36 PM
LSchicago2
Posting Guru
LSchicago2 has a great reputation on FTE.LSchicago2 has a great reputation on FTE.LSchicago2 has a great reputation on FTE.LSchicago2 has a great reputation on FTE.LSchicago2 has a great reputation on FTE.
I have the ebay y pipe, and a bb50 muffler on my 03. I like it better than most I've heard.

Old 01-27-2010, 08:46 PM
sesh1975
Senior User

Cell phone pics so they are not the best. At least you can get an idea though.

Old 01-27-2010, 09:06 PM
rudedogii
Elder User
rudedogii is starting off with a positive reputation.
Flowmaster 40

Ok I'm back. After spending two hours looking for this dvd I can now post it.
This is at low idle but sounds really wicked at high RPM. People know I'm around cause they can hear me coming. Sorry no video at high RPM.
YouTube - rudedogii's Channel

Old 01-28-2010, 10:20 AM
TEAM HARD
Senior User
Thanks everyone for being so helpful and posting all this info. There are a few of us that are trying to make decisions about this exhaust thing and I think all this info is helping. At least for me it is.

Old 01-28-2010, 05:08 PM
krusterzf-350
Junior User
krusterzf-350 is starting off with a positive reputation.
That looks cool! I like it...might have to do it myself.
Originally Posted by sesh1975 View Post

Cell phone pics so they are not the best. At least you can get an idea though.

Old 01-28-2010, 08:12 PM
TeamMudd
Posting Guru
TeamMudd is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.TeamMudd is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
i have a FM original 40 series 3"in/dual 2.5" outs on my F250. these clips were taken when i didn't have turn downs on the end of the pipes coming from the muffler.

it may be hard to distinguish between the exhaust and the tire growl in these clips. since these clips i've added turn downs right after the rear axle, and that made the interior noise less as well.
accel to 60mph
http://www.team-mudd-racing.com/team...accel-3000.MPG

cruising at 1900rpm's.
http://www.team-mudd-racing.com/team...uz-1900rpm.MPG

there's also a link in my Signature to other exhaust clips.

Old 06-21-2011, 08:26 PM
rudedogii
Elder User
rudedogii is starting off with a positive reputation.
Wrong video

Originally Posted by rudedogii View Post
Ok I'm back. After spending two hours looking for this dvd I can now post it.
This is at low idle but sounds really wicked at high RPM. People know I'm around cause they can hear me coming. Sorry no video at high RPM.
YouTube - rudedogii's Channel
I am not sure what happened to my last post since its been awhile. Anyway the 40 Series Flowmaster worked for me.
YouTube - ‪Flowmaster 40 series‬‏
That was then and since then I have installed a Y-Pipe and a Flowmaster Hushpower. I wasnt very happy with that. I will have to post that clip later.
You know what they say "If it ant broke dont fix it!"

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: V-10 muffler question of the day

Contact Us Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

© 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.