1999 to 2016 Super Duty 1999 to 2016 Ford F250, F350, F450 and F550 Super Duty with diesel V8 and gas V8 and V10 engines
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

ABS comes on at low speed

Search this Thread

Old 01-26-2010, 10:34 AM
suzanne9273
Freshman User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
ABS comes on at low speed

Hi again. Another situation. 2004 Ford F250 SD 4x4. ABS is coming on at low speeds- no ABS light on. When light is on after going over a bump or otherwise the ABS at low speed does not come on. Sounds like kind of a deep humming sound when it comes on. We have had major brake work done, sensors replaced etc- then cleaned metal shavings off but this problem still exists. Mechanic says to fix ABS but how..already replaced parts/had diagnostics and no real guarantee from them that if we replace again it will sove the low speed ABS kicking in- just well keep paying and hope for the best. I have seen others have issues with the low speed ABS problem- with no ABS light on. I guess my question is- can one disconnect this at all safely. It is ridiculous the amount of money people have to spend on fixing problem after problem...anyway..any ideas/solutions would be great. I do not know what will fix the problem, so I thought maybe getting rid of ABS may work. Also have heard that disconnecting ABS disconnects other things and sends faulty signals to other components.
Suzanne

Old 02-02-2010, 10:20 AM
suzanne9273
Freshman User
Me again..does anyone have suggestions or link to a thread that I can read about this on the forum already posted..
Thanks
Suzanne

Old 02-02-2010, 01:33 PM
_Rick_
Elder User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Hi Suzanne,

I can't offer assistance, but I'm sure someone will chime in here soon enough once the right FTE members login and find your post.

For now I found a few items that might at least get you started.

ABS
FORD ABS LIGHT
ABS BRAKE PROBLEM

Try a few key word searches here at FTE also. I know the search can be a little bit of a pain here, but once you get used to it I suppose it's not too bad.

Maybe it's your ABS front sensor wires being damaged? or a faulty sensor?

Good luck with it...

Rick...

Originally Posted by suzanne9273
Me again..does anyone have suggestions or link to a thread that I can read about this on the forum already posted..
Thanks
Suzanne

Last edited by _Rick_; 02-03-2010 at 01:39 AM. Reason: spelling of course
Old 02-02-2010, 11:10 PM
wallz
Postmaster
Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
Not always over in the super forum, so I didn't see this earlier, or I woulda piped up.

Anyhoo, I had an abs sensor go on my truck. No biggy right. I ordered for a good price new complete hubs and just replaced both. I figured I was getting a good deal, and sooner or later the bearing would go so I replaced both. After the swap I started having this same problem that you have. I tried replacing, and bleeding the brake fluid, as I figured it never was done, and due. Did not fix. I pulled the fuse for the abs until I could do some research on it and still have brakes. It was a huge fuse, 60A on mine.

I finally purchased a scanner with the abs functions. Nothing really came up with the scan. I figured I would play with the features and at least learn about the abs. I even pulled apart the fender to get to the abs module, figuring it could be wiring related. Still no cure.
I kept playing with the cycle feature for each corner on the abs with the scanner which eventually solved the issue. I think when I was bleeding the brakes and pushing in the calipers all the way in to remove the old fluid from them, I didn't notice right away that the bleeder valve was plugged and I pushed all the fluid back thru and into the abs pump. I think for some reason I might have plugged up a vavle and cycling the abs pump valves individually dislodged what ever it was. All fixed up with no more problems, and I even got a new toy outta it.
Sorry for the long post.
Could also be the new sensors are to long, and hitting the sleeve that they get their readings from, sending the unit haywire, as you also mentioned the shavings. Did you also replace any of the hubs assemblies?

Old 02-03-2010, 12:41 AM
redford
Received 1,550 Likes on 905 Posts
Is your speedometer doing odd things also? Your VSS might need cleaning or replacing. It sits on top of the rear differential, senses the speed of the rear wheels (and hence the truck).

Old 02-27-2010, 10:27 AM
suzanne9273
Freshman User
Getting worse

Hi again. It looks like we will have to take it in. The problem exactly is when putting on the brakes low speed there is a humming sound (ABS??) and the brakes release, even when brake pedal is pushed. Take foot off and put on pedal again and brakes grab. Now it is doing it more where sometimes you have to hit brake pedal three and four times before brake grabs. Weird how ABS is releasing brake function when pedal is pushed. More thoughts are appreciated or where to look on here for similar issues.

Old 02-27-2010, 10:41 AM
suzanne9273
Freshman User
One more question

Is there a sensor for ABS for the brake system not the sensor on the tires..or how it works and connects.
Thanks so much for any thoughts

Old 02-27-2010, 11:19 AM
_Rick_
Elder User
Suzanne,

Have you removed the fuse as Wallz suggested? It might be a temporary fix to get you by while you're working on getting the problem sorted out.
It seems that removing the fuse could be a good trouble shooting point also.
I believe you should be able to find the correct fuse listed in your owners manual. If not in your manual I'm sure someone here can point you to it.

EDIT: (fuse info) RE: pages 196 and 197 in your manual.

Fuse #25 = 10A 4-Wheel Anti-lock Brake System (4WABS) module, Variable Fan Control (VFC) (Diesel engine
only)

NOTE: you have a gas vehicle so you can disregard the "Variable Fan Control (VFC) (Diesel engine
only)"
It looks like the fuse is located in the fuse panel under your steering wheel. Remove the fuse box access cover and look at the diagram on the cover. Find fuse #25 and remove it. Maybe try a SLOW test drive to see (confirm) it's the correct one.

Anyone please jump in if I'm pointing Suzanne in the wrong direction here. I'm not well versed in ABS systems. I'm just trying to toss these folks a bone to chew on until the root of the problem can be fixed.

Rick...

Old 02-27-2010, 01:04 PM
wallz
Postmaster
Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
The fuse you want to pull to inactivate your ABS from what I found when I had the problems was the MAXI fuse 60A #602. Top left corner of fuse box, and is hard to miss as it is very large compared to the other fuses and it lies horizontally.

Suzanne, it almost sounds as your abs module is going/gone(the brain of the system) and from my previous research on the topic it is located under the abs pump. Driver side mounted under the air intake in the bottom corner. I found that the easiest way to get to it was to take out the plastic insert from the wheel well. If you go in there to check it out yourself, careful with the electrical plug because it has a weird way of clipping together to keep it from coming unplugged. I had to find out the hard way.

Old 02-27-2010, 07:19 PM
Badass_Forever
Junior User
sounds like you need to stop taking your truck to whoever is fixing it... sounds like an ABS sensor.. but the abs module could be going bad... I wouldn't think that would be the case, but you never know..

Whoever is doing the work, are they using a scan tool?

Old 02-28-2010, 10:24 AM
suzanne9273
Freshman User
Thank you

We will try removing the fuse..will this cause other things to go wrong? Also, yes we wish we had knowledgeable mechanics in our town...we have taken our truck to Ford dealership as well and it just seems that no one really knows or they want/need to make a lot of money with out fixing what the problemThis is why I come here for some ideas/suggestions and I am assuming why many people come here.
Zoe

Old 02-28-2010, 10:31 AM
suzanne9273
Freshman User
Ford told us...

My husband said Ford told us that if we remove the ABS fuse that it disables 10 other serious components needed for operation of the truck..Is this correct.

2004 Ford f250 Super Duty 4x4 gasoline
Suzanne

Old 02-28-2010, 11:02 AM
_Rick_
Elder User
I would challenge them to tell me what those "serious components" are.
Hell,,, I would challenge them to tell me what 2 of the 10 "serious components" they speak of are.

I've never removed the ABS fuse myself, but you'll find that there have been a few guys here that have for various reasons. From trouble shooting to permanently disabling thier ABS.

Wait for confirmation from others here who have done this before you do it.

Important:
Keep in mind that if you get into an accident and the police or your insurance company finds out you disabled the ABS or failed to have it repaired when you knew it was failing you could be held liable.

If you folks are concerned at all ,,, I would recommend taking your truck into Ford for diagnosis and repair. It just might be time to take the financial hit and get it fixed at whatever the cost maybe.

Rick...

Originally Posted by suzanne9273
My husband said Ford told us that if we remove the ABS fuse that it disables 10 other serious components needed for operation of the truck..Is this correct.

2004 Ford f250 Super Duty 4x4 gasoline
Suzanne

Last edited by _Rick_; 02-28-2010 at 01:28 PM. Reason: Spelling
Old 02-28-2010, 01:15 PM
Badass_Forever
Junior User
Originally Posted by _Rick_
I would challenge them to tell me what those "serious components" are.
Hell,,, I would challenge them to tell me what 2 of the 10 "serious components" they speak of are.

I've never removed the ABS fuse myself, but you'll find that there have been a few guys here that have for various reasons. From trouble shooting to permanently disabling thier ABS.

Wait for confirmation from others here who have done this before you do it.

Important:
Keep in mind that if you get into an accident and the police or your insurance company finds out you disabled the ABS or failed to have it repaired when you knew it was failing you could be held liable.

If you folks are concerned at all ,,, I would recommend taking your truck into Ford for diagnosis and repair. I just might be time to take the financial hit and get it fixed at whatever the cost maybe.

Rick...
She said she already took it to them... they are doing dartboard diagnostics and have no idea what the problem is... I'm one of the few people that have someone who really knows his **** when it comes to working on these trucks.

My BMW did the same thing, it was just the abs sensor

And Yes, you can pull the fuse, it will make the light on the dash borad stay on. But i would still have it fixed.

Old 02-28-2010, 09:01 PM
Gastic3514
Senior User
I recently ran into this on my truck. Just something to think about or try. I had the front end apart doing work, and being curious I pulled the old sensor out to look at it. This ripped it apart because it was partially corroded in place. Duh. Put on a new sensor and then that wheel at slow speeds just before stopping would activate. Only right before stopping, which caused a slight pull.

I ended up taking off the rotor again. Cleaned everyting out and cleaned it again real well where the ABS sensor and SHIM sits on the hub and goes into the hole. Make sure you have a shim! I think there was some rust or something, keeping the sensor up a little to high which made it believe the wheel was locking.

Quick Reply: ABS comes on at low speed