1999 to 2016 Super Duty 1999 to 2016 Ford F250, F350, F450 and F550 Super Duty with diesel V8 and gas V8 and V10 engines
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Having issues passing emissions Pennsylvania

Search this Thread

Old 11-29-2018, 11:37 AM
Collision
Senior User
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Having issues passing emissions Pennsylvania

Hey guys, hopefully someone here can offer me some advice on what to do

I've already ran my truck through 5 tanks of gas with no check engine lights or codes. However, I still can't pass emissions because I have 2 redlights, one says O2 and one says evap. How can I turn one of them green? Pennsylvania let's us pass with one red light but not 2, and without a check engine light I don't know where to start. The truck is a 2003 f250 crew cab long bed 4x4 with the 5.4

Old 11-29-2018, 11:42 AM
Colorado350
Postmaster
Received 119 Likes on 84 Posts
Most auto parts stores can read codes, then clear them. I’ve done that before to see if they will return.

Old 11-29-2018, 01:59 PM
jetty
Tuned
Received 20 Likes on 19 Posts
For my personal vehicle, a Chrysler car, I have used the following approach: In Texas (and most likely PA) it is allowable for a vehicle to pass emissions inspection with 1 monitor not complete. For the past three years I have used a simple I/M scanner, AutoLink #AL319, to reset the monitors and engine light. Then after about 55 miles of casually driving around town all the monitors will check in with a passing grade, leaving the Cat monitor as the sole monitor not complete. Duck into the nearest inspection station without shutting off the engine and she passes with 1 monitor not set.

A few months ago in installed a pair of "spark plug anti-foulers" on my car's O2 sensor, it fixed the O2 sensor issue, giving it a green. Google search for that fix.

For my F250, the emissions system is not real good shape (no cat or egr). The previous owner installed software to re-tune engine parameters, called it a "chip". In the process it turned almost all the emissions monitors to "NA"; so truck passes inspection w/ NA codes assigned to most all the monitors. As a fall back this truck is driven less than 5k miles/year. Texas has, and PA might have, a waiver available for low annual mileage trucks that fail to pass emissions inspection.

Old 11-29-2018, 03:10 PM
Collision
Senior User
Thank you for the advice, I'm well over the 5k waiver, but I will try the other things you recommended. The truck is throwing no codes (and I have a code reader) so that's not too helpful. I keep trying to put this thing through the drive cycles but those last 2 saying not ready to be tested

Old 11-29-2018, 04:14 PM
projectSHO89
Hotshot
Received 869 Likes on 721 Posts
The O2 monitor is probably a mandatory one that has to pass if PA is following federal rules.

You might have your upstream O2 sensors that are too lazy to allow the monitor to pass but not lazy enough to fail. Kind of a tough place to be in. There are probably actually two O2 monitors that are present, one for the heaters and one for the sensor performance. See if you can distinguish what you have.

Old 11-29-2018, 08:46 PM
Djosbun
Fleet Mechanic
Received 155 Likes on 125 Posts
If you can find out what the factory resistance is for the correct O2 reading, you can buy the equivalent resistor and place it into the O2 plug. This is not so easy nowadays with Radio Shack being gone. Also, I personally wouldn’t know what the resistance should be. This is done by people that remove the catalytic converters from the exhaust of their sports cars (not recommended and illegal in probably every state).

— Dave

Old 11-29-2018, 09:18 PM
projectSHO89
Hotshot
If you can find out what the factory resistance is for the correct O2 reading
That would possibly be applicable ONLY if it's the O2 heater monitor that's failing. It would have zero use for the actual O2 performance monitor. Most likely, his truck doesn't even have downstream O2 sensors from the factory anyway.

Old 11-30-2018, 04:41 AM
Collision
Senior User
Correct, I have no O2 after the cat. It appears neither my heater nor my actual O2 are ready to test. Assuming htr is heater

Old 11-30-2018, 07:55 AM
projectSHO89
Hotshot
Originally Posted by Collision
Correct, I have no O2 after the cat.
That's what I needed to know. Had to jog my memory.

You don't have a problem. Go read this thread and all the linked threads and posts. https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/1...not-ready.html Then, go get it e-tested ... or just go get it tested.

Old 11-30-2018, 08:17 AM
Collision
Senior User
Originally Posted by projectSHO89
That's what I needed to know. Had to jog my memory.

You don't have a problem. Go read this thread and all the linked threads and posts. https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/1...not-ready.html Then, go get it e-tested ... or just go get it tested.
Thank you! You are the best, my next question was going to be why don't I have an egr... So basically I have to explain to the station that it's a federal emissions truck and those lights will never be ready

Old 11-30-2018, 08:54 AM
projectSHO89
Hotshot
Surely you won't be the first owner of one of these trucks to show up at their door for an inspection unless they just opened for business yesterday. Tell them it's a "federal OBD1" and "over 8500 GVW" , if necessary.

Old 11-30-2018, 09:39 AM
4Wheelgreg
Senior User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
The Exemption is trucks above 8900lbs
Pa emissions is such a rip off , its all about highway funding from the government, more than half the state does not have emissions .
I would try another inspection station , most good shops can get them thru , I think also if you spend over $500 in related repairs there is a waiver .

Old 11-30-2018, 10:07 AM
Collision
Senior User
Originally Posted by 4Wheelgreg
Pa emissions is such a rip off , its all about highway funding from the government, more than half the state does not have emissions .
I would try another inspection station , most good shops can get them thru , I think also if you spend over $500 in related repairs there is a waiver .
I might try the 500 dollar waiver but that's only good for a year, good idea

Old 11-30-2018, 10:52 AM
projectSHO89
Hotshot
That is incorrect. The crossover is 8500# as I already said.

If you want to pi$$ away $500, send it to me, I'll find something to spend it on. You're creating a problem where none actually exists. As you have an OBD1 truck, the OBD2 testing requirements DO NOT APPLY. You're trying to apply testing requirements to your truck for attributes that it doesn't possess.

Old 11-30-2018, 03:55 PM
Collision
Senior User
Originally Posted by projectSHO89
That is incorrect. The crossover is 8500# as I already said.

If you want to pi$$ away $500, send it to me, I'll find something to spend it on. You're creating a problem where none actually exists. As you have an OBD1 truck, the OBD2 testing requirements DO NOT APPLY. You're trying to apply testing requirements to your truck for attributes that it doesn't possess.

Right there under the hood it says obd1 compliant... Damn you're good

Quick Reply: Having issues passing emissions Pennsylvania