Notices
Excursion - King of SUVs 2000 - 2005 Ford Excursion
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Just installed a Detroit Truetrac

Old 01-22-2010, 01:23 PM
Digger 5
Senior User
Digger 5 is starting off with a positive reputation.
Just installed a Detroit Truetrac

As the title says, I just installed a Truetrac in the back of my 2000 7.3 X. I love it. It is totally quiet, no additonal noise at all. Traction is significantly better than my old semi-functional Trac-Loc. At the same time I changed out the old skanky diff cover and added a 2008 SD aluminum finned cover.

The day after the install I started a 1,300 mile road trip and ran into a ton of snow. I was towing a 20' 3K (empty) trailer when I had to go into a hilly residential neighborhood with 8" of fresh, nearly untracked snow. I never went into 4x4 nor felt like I needed it.

I did some testing the day of the install to check the traction. Unfortunately, I should have done the same test BEFORE swapping out the diff. I had the right tire on very loose gravel over a hard base and the left on very rough asphalt. I tried everything to get the right tire to spin separately but I couldn't make it happen. I even power braked it to get the tires smoking but still the left tire just roasted while the right threw gravel.

When I leave my neighborhood, I have to take a sharp (over 90 degree) right turn that is very off camber. It also has crosswalks that can be slick. The other day in the rain I took the corner from a dead stop and hit it pretty hard. With th old diff I would have had 'one wheel peel' until I backed off of the gas. With the Truetrac, both tires just grabbed and no slip at all. I was VERY impressed. It's a great addition and worth the effort and expense.

Old 01-22-2010, 01:29 PM
blowhole
Senior User
blowhole is starting off with a positive reputation.
Very nice. How much and how long did the install take you?

Old 01-22-2010, 01:38 PM
Digger 5
Senior User
I paid just under $600 for the Truetrac and about $100 for the new (Timkin) bearings and shim kit. My buddy and I did it in less than 3 hours.

Old 01-22-2010, 04:09 PM
blowhole
Senior User
blowhole is starting off with a positive reputation.
Not bad. Thanks for the info.

Old 01-22-2010, 08:01 PM
AlaskanEx
Bleed Ford Blue
AlaskanEx has a superb reputationAlaskanEx has a superb reputationAlaskanEx has a superb reputationAlaskanEx has a superb reputationAlaskanEx has a superb reputationAlaskanEx has a superb reputationAlaskanEx has a superb reputationAlaskanEx has a superb reputationAlaskanEx has a superb reputationAlaskanEx has a superb reputationAlaskanEx has a superb reputation
awsome, i've been thinking very hard about this. currently i have a open diff and i hate it to death. let us know your opinion on it after awhile as i'm very interested in getting one.

Old 01-22-2010, 08:21 PM
wallz
Postmaster
wallz has much to be proud ofwallz has much to be proud ofwallz has much to be proud ofwallz has much to be proud ofwallz has much to be proud ofwallz has much to be proud ofwallz has much to be proud ofwallz has much to be proud ofwallz has much to be proud ofwallz has much to be proud of
Yep, deff worth it. I had mine put in last spring, and still luv'n it.
I was a little skeptical with the reports of a little loss of traction in the snow in the sharp corners and having to let off the go pedal a little. I have not found that at all this winter, if you can even say that we had one.

Old 01-22-2010, 09:29 PM
ReAX
Post Fiend
ReAX is a splendid one to beholdReAX is a splendid one to beholdReAX is a splendid one to beholdReAX is a splendid one to beholdReAX is a splendid one to beholdReAX is a splendid one to behold
rep points for the review. It's something I want to do as well.

Old 01-23-2010, 10:17 AM
Toreador_Diesel
Toreador_Diesel has a superb reputationToreador_Diesel has a superb reputationToreador_Diesel has a superb reputationToreador_Diesel has a superb reputationToreador_Diesel has a superb reputationToreador_Diesel has a superb reputationToreador_Diesel has a superb reputationToreador_Diesel has a superb reputationToreador_Diesel has a superb reputationToreador_Diesel has a superb reputationToreador_Diesel has a superb reputation
Originally Posted by ReAX View Post
rep points for the review. It's something I want to do as well.
Yeah me too, my truck came with an open diff and I would love to have both wheels spin instead of one...

Old 01-23-2010, 10:45 AM
william_04_x
Postmaster
william_04_x has a superb reputationwilliam_04_x has a superb reputationwilliam_04_x has a superb reputationwilliam_04_x has a superb reputationwilliam_04_x has a superb reputationwilliam_04_x has a superb reputationwilliam_04_x has a superb reputationwilliam_04_x has a superb reputationwilliam_04_x has a superb reputationwilliam_04_x has a superb reputationwilliam_04_x has a superb reputation
Originally Posted by Toreador_Diesel View Post
Yeah me too, my truck came with an open diff and I would love to have both wheels spin instead of one...
Me 3.. I need to move this up the priority list.. 2WD is bad enough, especially when you lose 1/2 of that..

Old 01-24-2010, 01:21 PM
jrrando
New User
jrrando is starting off with a positive reputation.
Thanks for posting the info on the true trac. This appears to be the best option for the 10.5 axle. I will be doing the update soon. Can't believe that with all the standard options on the excursions that some (most??) have an open rear axle. My 2WD V-10 ex with be much better off in the snow after I get the locking rear and new tires. I have been stuck more times than I care to remember.

Old 01-24-2010, 01:40 PM
Digger 5
Senior User
Originally Posted by jrrando View Post
Thanks for posting the info on the true trac. This appears to be the best option for the 10.5 axle. I will be doing the update soon. Can't believe that with all the standard options on the excursions that some (most??) have an open rear axle. My 2WD V-10 ex with be much better off in the snow after I get the locking rear and new tires. I have been stuck more times than I care to remember.
Even the factory Trac-Loc is a poor option. I know guys that have had them in their rigs since new and always thought they were open. I'm also surprised how sticky my new tires are in the snow. I have the GY Wranglers AT/S tires and they are MUCH better than I ever expected. I had Toyos previously and I thought they worked well but these are far better.

Old 01-24-2010, 01:44 PM
Myf350sd
Junior User
Myf350sd is starting off with a positive reputation.
Thanks for the info on the true trac. I am also in the market to put one in. My 2008 F350 is bad in the snow even with 4x4. Do you have to reshim it or do you use the old shims? I read that there should not be any shim adjustments.

Old 01-24-2010, 02:36 PM
Digger 5
Senior User
Originally Posted by Myf350sd View Post
Thanks for the info on the true trac. I am also in the market to put one in. My 2008 F350 is bad in the snow even with 4x4. Do you have to reshim it or do you use the old shims? I read that there should not be any shim adjustments.
You have to re-shim it. I used the shim packs that encase the shims. This system makes it very easy to make small adjustments. This way you install a pack as opposed to just adding a single slim shim. After I had the back lash set to the spec it was before removal, I added .005" to each side for carrier bearing pre-load. Always check backlash before you remove the original diff. I had .012" before we started and ended up with just under .013" when it was done.

Old 01-30-2010, 08:12 AM
Myf350sd
Junior User
Myf350sd is starting off with a positive reputation.
I have ordered and going to install a true trac in my 2008 F350. What is the lubrication requirements for them? Is it synthetic or traditional?

Old 01-30-2010, 11:26 AM
Digger 5
Senior User
Originally Posted by Myf350sd View Post
I have ordered and going to install a true trac in my 2008 F350. What is the lubrication requirements for them? Is it synthetic or traditional?
While your 2008 specs synthetic fluid (I bought a 2008 cover and the cover has the spec inscribed), they (Eaton customer service) don't recommend synthetics with a Truetrac. Although there is a lot of argument over the virtue of synthetic gear lube, most diff shops don't recommend it. Some won't even offer a warranty (Currie for example) if you use it.

I used Lucas 85/140 as most of the diff shops feel it is the best product available.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Just installed a Detroit Truetrac

Contact Us - About Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

© 2019 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.