Sponsored by: DP Tuner

Truck For Hire...

Search this Thread

Old 01-22-2010, 07:06 PM
N V US Lawn Care
Elder User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by big poppa
Yea, not busting your bubble, just looking out and assisting. Go out there a do it, I would, for the right price, I love driving.. Cracked me up he got that way, being's your new, he wasn't expecting them questions. Good luck to you. Have you joined the Road help network?? Might be a good time to join if you didn't?? If you get up here in Pa., give me a holler, a beer and dinner with the family, glad to have yaa. Seen your post above, if you can, to save cash, sleep in your truck if possible, at truckstops or pickle parks(roadside rest areas), that fella I talked too when I bought my trailer sleped in his truck, he looked it, lol..
Yeah Mike, i know...and, that is an awesome offer for some eats brother...i had forgotten about the Roadside Network, thanks for reminding me...and, i thought about loading up the sleeping bag and roughing it, but i would have to keep the truck running...it's still cold up thar in **...lol

Originally Posted by jkidd_39
I would guess that 18mpg is gonna be tough to get going up to MI.. you are gonna have a headwind that will kill mileage. I would expect 8-10 max fighting that wind. You may however ride a tail wind to texas getting 13-15mpg.

Hauling kills mileage. Good luck

I'm only pulling a 2500 lb boat, they're pretty aerodynamic...lol...i'm watching the weather to see about them headwinds...lol...i pulled a 7k TT up here from the FL line a little while back, and atually got better milaege towing it than empty...i dunno how that happened, but it did...i averaged 19.6 mpg towing, and 18 empty...i don't let myself mash down the skinny pedal too much when i'm towing, mostly bc what's behind me ain't mine...so, that being said, i'm hopeful to get better mpg's than i'm figuring, but, if it's a little less, i'm ok with that...i've only been averaging @ $600 a week with my lawn company, so anything more than that is acceptable...

Old 01-23-2010, 10:17 AM
sideshow
Elder User
Originally Posted by N V US Lawn Care
According to Hot Shot Haulers' website, a CDL is not required for anything less than 26,001 lbs...
I personally wouldn't trust anything a website says, since they are really just a broker for the service you are providing. The above quote is a direct indication that they are providing misinformation. A CDL doesn't relate to the weight you will be transporting, but the simple fact that it is for commercial purpose. The CLASS of license you will need is tied to the weight. Techinically if you are under 26001 lbs and being compensated for transporting goods, you would need a CLASS-C CDL.

The stated laws are one thing, but the enforcement of them is an entirely different thing. I was confused about this, and upon reading MANY threads in the superduty forum, I placed a few calls to the local and state (NC) DMV. Given the state of the economy, there has been a decree to start enforcing these laws more strictly. I was told "If the vehicle is used in the furtherance of a business it is commercial, and you absolutely need a CDL. Not necessarily a Class A, but a CDL nonetheless." A Realtor who claims vehicle expenses in their line of work is operating a commercial vehicle according to the letter of the law.

I see a lot of "NOT FOR HIRE" but that doesn't mean anything. One example: a person may not be "HIRED" to haul something (like say the bobcat that they own), and being the owner of the company isn't a loophole, but you are using it for a business related activity, and therefore are a commercial operator and need a CDL. If they are under 26001 lbs, they would be required to have a Class C "CDL".

I don't mean this to sound the wrong way. I just want you to protect yourself from any preventable expense and inconvience you could run into, just because Uship, or whomever said you don't need a commercial license.

There ARE federal guidelines, but the states have rights to empose stricter addendums. It can be a very gray area, and that is IMHO exactly how they want it. They will try to file it under the premise of making the roads safer, but it really boils down to which way will generate the most $$$$ for the states.

Edit to add: Even the farm owner/operators/appointees have to have the proper class of license even if they are exempt from the Commercial status. I was informed that since I occassionally tow a triple axle gooseneck deckover for my bro-in-law's farm (8k axles for a trailer gvwr of 24k) I would need a Non-commercial Class A. However, for my business (i build decks and covered porches), I technically need a Commercial Class C. Since I can only have one, which do I really need. Kinda gray huh? I guess in this situation, I REALLY need a Commercial Class A to be covered on all bases.

Good luck with your endeavors, and safe driving.

Old 01-23-2010, 10:36 AM
rbaker6336
Post Fiend
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
i pulled a 7k TT up here from the FL line a little while back, and atually got better milaege towing it than empty...i dunno how that happened, but it did...i averaged 19.6 mpg towing, and 18 empty...
Was that hand calculated?My truck gets around 17.5 mpg empty,if I hook up one of my 16x7 enclosed trailers up (about 2k lbs empty) loaded or empty I drop to about 11 mpg tops driving 60 to 65 mph

Also don't forget your DOT numbers.They are free but required in most states

Old 01-23-2010, 12:07 PM
N V US Lawn Care
Elder User
Originally Posted by sideshow
I personally wouldn't trust anything a website says, since they are really just a broker for the service you are providing. The above quote is a direct indication that they are providing misinformation. A CDL doesn't relate to the weight you will be transporting, but the simple fact that it is for commercial purpose. The CLASS of license you will need is tied to the weight. Techinically if you are under 26001 lbs and being compensated for transporting goods, you would need a CLASS-C CDL.

The stated laws are one thing, but the enforcement of them is an entirely different thing. I was confused about this, and upon reading MANY threads in the superduty forum, I placed a few calls to the local and state (NC) DMV. Given the state of the economy, there has been a decree to start enforcing these laws more strictly. I was told "If the vehicle is used in the furtherance of a business it is commercial, and you absolutely need a CDL. Not necessarily a Class A, but a CDL nonetheless." A Realtor who claims vehicle expenses in their line of work is operating a commercial vehicle according to the letter of the law.

I see a lot of "NOT FOR HIRE" but that doesn't mean anything. One example: a person may not be "HIRED" to haul something (like say the bobcat that they own), and being the owner of the company isn't a loophole, but you are using it for a business related activity, and therefore are a commercial operator and need a CDL. If they are under 26001 lbs, they would be required to have a Class C "CDL".

I don't mean this to sound the wrong way. I just want you to protect yourself from any preventable expense and inconvience you could run into, just because Uship, or whomever said you don't need a commercial license.

There ARE federal guidelines, but the states have rights to empose stricter addendums. It can be a very gray area, and that is IMHO exactly how they want it. They will try to file it under the premise of making the roads safer, but it really boils down to which way will generate the most $$$$ for the states.

Edit to add: Even the farm owner/operators/appointees have to have the proper class of license even if they are exempt from the Commercial status. I was informed that since I occassionally tow a triple axle gooseneck deckover for my bro-in-law's farm (8k axles for a trailer gvwr of 24k) I would need a Non-commercial Class A. However, for my business (i build decks and covered porches), I technically need a Commercial Class C. Since I can only have one, which do I really need. Kinda gray huh? I guess in this situation, I REALLY need a Commercial Class A to be covered on all bases.

Good luck with your endeavors, and safe driving.

I went back and checked U Ship's site further, and it does say that...so, i get to go look into that...thanks for the catch...

Originally Posted by rbaker6336
Was that hand calculated?My truck gets around 17.5 mpg empty,if I hook up one of my 16x7 enclosed trailers up (about 2k lbs empty) loaded or empty I drop to about 11 mpg tops driving 60 to 65 mph

Also don't forget your DOT numbers.They are free but required in most states

How on Earth would i be able to calculate a 19.6 mpg avg in my head???...no, i keep really good records...and then i double check everything with my accounting software after i use the old 10 key...lol

Old 01-23-2010, 03:12 PM
big poppa
Post Fiend
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Realtors having a commercial license, never heard of such a thing here in Pa. anyways. This thread reminds me, Jim Meggawatt had his business and him under Mass. law he had to put commercial tags on his truck, why, because he was above Mass. weight limit, not federal. So sideshow does have a valid point, Federal laws versus the states. Here's the weight limits per federal Part 383.91: Commercial motor vehicle groups. - Federal Motor Carrier Safety Administration I think intrastate travel does require DOT placarding though, not sure on the licensing part though since your hauling under 10,000 pounds.

Old 01-23-2010, 03:43 PM
sideshow
Elder User
Yeah that is pretty stupid, but that is what the state dmv official told me. I think the point was that the laws were worded poorly. The intention of the CDL requirements was to apply to those who transport goods and passengers, but the way it was currently worded (he did say they were in the process of rewording it), it actually would apply to ANYONE who used their vehicle for ANY business.

I did just look at the NCDMV website, and it appears they have changes some things in an attempt to make it a bit more clear. The thing that was a sticking point with me was that I build decks and porches, etc, and haul a landscape trailer (with toolboxes, generator, compressor, etc,) loaded with lumber. With some builders, I actually charge the materials to their account and I just bill them labor. The problem is who owns the materials, and am I transporting goods for someone. TECHNICALLY they have paid for them, but I don't consider that I am transporting goods for compensation.

The DMV official said that the state would probably say I am a commercial transporter, but it may take litigation to prove otherwise. Getting into a legal battle with the state is NOT something I want. They have much deeper pockets, and could bury me if it ever got to that.

I have spoken with a bunch of guys that have been stopped of the last yr or so, and most were just hauling a bobcat that they owned, and operated. They were brick masons mostly, so they were not compensated for the transporting of goods, but were engaged in a business activity and received tickets for no CDL.

I actually have commercial weighted tags for 20k lbs, since that's my max GCWR, but may up them to 26000. I was advised that even if I were to tow over my max GCWR, they would usually just make you remove the overload amount, but the fine for being over what you tags are registered for is the killer fine. On a few occassions I have been right at 21-22k, and even though the truck handled it fine, I'd hate to have been stopped and weighed. At least that is what everybody I know who has been stopped has said. I'm trying to find a good used F350 or F450 (I wish I'd never sold my 2000 F450 with a 12' dump bed!!!) but can't find any deals. Why oh why did I sell this

Ok, I know why, but dang I hated to let it go. Parked it in this parking lot on monday, had it sold by wed. Truck, trailer, skid steer, 5 attachments all for $25k......sucked

Old 01-23-2010, 03:54 PM
whitewhale
Senior User
NV-I looked into this a couple of years ago. For hiring on using your own rig, you would need a much newer truck with a lot less miles. Most companies won't even consider you if your truck is over 5 yrs old or has more than 100k miles when you start with them. And just a word of advise-Get something to go across the back of you truck behind the wheels. Nothing worse than delivering a camper or a boat with a bunch of scratches and dings. They will take the damage out of your final pay for the load.

Old 01-23-2010, 03:54 PM
monsterbaby
Hotshot

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
You better think about this very seriously as the way your going about it your opening yourself up for a huge fine AND liability.

The minute you hook up to something for hire you fall under federal laws. You are required to carry not only liability (IIRC it's $750,000 for non hazmat although there was talk of upping it to 1 mil) you also have to have cargo insurance BY FEDERAL LAW. hauling for hire you are 100% liable for any damage to the cargo while in your care. Also you must have a US DOT number and if crossing state lines an ICC authority and file proof of insurance with FMCSA. you will also be required to increase your lic on your truck upto the combined load of the truck and trailer.

If you travel further then 100 miles you are also required to keep a log book.

I still have my own operating authority although I don't use it anymore, but trust me there is a ton of laws your ignoring that can and will bite hard. Here is a place to start reading

Federal Motor Carrier Safety Administration

Old 01-23-2010, 04:18 PM
mechelement
Cargo Master
Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts
Why not do it yourself? A kid out of high school here bought a 7.3L PSD dually with his father as a cosigner. His father owns some sort of landscape business and told him if he could fix up one of his beater triple axle flat bed trailers that he could have it. He hauls small cargo trailers to their respective dealers. His father gave him some guidance where to go get clients - probably some of his customers. He pulls some cattle in an old gooseneck stock trailer too. He's on his father's company's insurance somehow. He said something about advertising on Craigslist. I was shooting the **** with him when fueling a month or so ago. He asked me what I was putting in my fuel - DK in a soda bottle.

Old 01-23-2010, 11:08 PM
N V US Lawn Care
Elder User
Originally Posted by monsterbaby
You better think about this very seriously as the way your going about it your opening yourself up for a huge fine AND liability.

The minute you hook up to something for hire you fall under federal laws. You are required to carry not only liability (IIRC it's $750,000 for non hazmat although there was talk of upping it to 1 mil) you also have to have cargo insurance BY FEDERAL LAW. hauling for hire you are 100% liable for any damage to the cargo while in your care. Also you must have a US DOT number and if crossing state lines an ICC authority and file proof of insurance with FMCSA. you will also be required to increase your lic on your truck upto the combined load of the truck and trailer.

If you travel further then 100 miles you are also required to keep a log book.

I still have my own operating authority although I don't use it anymore, but trust me there is a ton of laws your ignoring that can and will bite hard. Here is a place to start reading

Federal Motor Carrier Safety Administration

Bro, i'm not driving a dang tractor/ trailer...i'm pulling a 2500lb boat with my pickup truck...what idiot told you i needed a million $ insurance policy to cover a $4k boat, and my $6k truck...this is my personal vehicle that i'm pulling a friends boat to his house....as far as you know....stop trying to talk a guy out of making some quick cash to provide for his family...wtf...enough of that ***** already...

Originally Posted by mechelement
Why not do it yourself? A kid out of high school here bought a 7.3L PSD dually with his father as a cosigner. His father owns some sort of landscape business and told him if he could fix up one of his beater triple axle flat bed trailers that he could have it. He hauls small cargo trailers to their respective dealers. His father gave him some guidance where to go get clients - probably some of his customers. He pulls some cattle in an old gooseneck stock trailer too. He's on his father's company's insurance somehow. He said something about advertising on Craigslist. I was shooting the **** with him when fueling a month or so ago. He asked me what I was putting in my fuel - DK in a soda bottle.

That's what i'm saying...why not go take a piece of the pie...i gotta eat too, and feed my wife and 3 kids...it ain't like Obamanomics is helping my butt right now...screw 'em...catch me....lmao

Old 01-23-2010, 11:15 PM
jkidd_39
Posting Guru
Originally Posted by sideshow
Yeah that is pretty stupid, but that is what the state dmv official told me. I think the point was that the laws were worded poorly. The intention of the CDL requirements was to apply to those who transport goods and passengers, but the way it was currently worded (he did say they were in the process of rewording it), it actually would apply to ANYONE who used their vehicle for ANY business.

I did just look at the NCDMV website, and it appears they have changes some things in an attempt to make it a bit more clear. The thing that was a sticking point with me was that I build decks and porches, etc, and haul a landscape trailer (with toolboxes, generator, compressor, etc,) loaded with lumber. With some builders, I actually charge the materials to their account and I just bill them labor. The problem is who owns the materials, and am I transporting goods for someone. TECHNICALLY they have paid for them, but I don't consider that I am transporting goods for compensation.

The DMV official said that the state would probably say I am a commercial transporter, but it may take litigation to prove otherwise. Getting into a legal battle with the state is NOT something I want. They have much deeper pockets, and could bury me if it ever got to that.

I have spoken with a bunch of guys that have been stopped of the last yr or so, and most were just hauling a bobcat that they owned, and operated. They were brick masons mostly, so they were not compensated for the transporting of goods, but were engaged in a business activity and received tickets for no CDL.

I actually have commercial weighted tags for 20k lbs, since that's my max GCWR, but may up them to 26000. I was advised that even if I were to tow over my max GCWR, they would usually just make you remove the overload amount, but the fine for being over what you tags are registered for is the killer fine. On a few occassions I have been right at 21-22k, and even though the truck handled it fine, I'd hate to have been stopped and weighed. At least that is what everybody I know who has been stopped has said. I'm trying to find a good used F350 or F450 (I wish I'd never sold my 2000 F450 with a 12' dump bed!!!) but can't find any deals. Why oh why did I sell this

Ok, I know why, but dang I hated to let it go. Parked it in this parking lot on monday, had it sold by wed. Truck, trailer, skid steer, 5 attachments all for $25k......sucked
Is that a 250 or 270 JD?!?! I got one of each.. You happy with your unit?

Bro, i'm not driving a dang tractor/ trailer...i'm pulling a 2500lb boat with my pickup truck...what idiot told you i needed a million $ insurance policy to cover a $4k boat, and my $6k truck...this is my personal vehicle that i'm pulling a friends boat to his house....as far as you know....stop trying to talk a guy out of making some quick cash to provide for his family...wtf...enough of that ***** already...

That's what i'm saying...why not go take a piece of the pie...i gotta eat too, and feed my wife and 3 kids...it ain't like Obamanomics is helping my butt right now...screw 'em...catch me....lmao
You can never have to much insurance.. I would think a 1 mill would be pretty cheap and how much more is it than a $500k policy?

Old 01-23-2010, 11:20 PM
big poppa
Post Fiend
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Hey David, do what you gotta do. You get pulled over worst case senario and you have a trailer, you tell them your going camping, and ask the cop if he wants to go too, , he'll decline, I hope, In all seriousness, were not beating you down, just trying to provide info so you can feed your family without any headaches.

Old 01-23-2010, 11:29 PM
N V US Lawn Care
Elder User
Originally Posted by big poppa
Hey David, do what you gotta do. You get pulled over worst case senario and you have a trailer, you tell them your going camping, and ask the cop if he wants to go too, , he'll decline, I hope, In all seriousness, were not beating you down, just trying to provide info so you can feed your family without any headaches.

Yeah...that's right...i'm just goin fishin...lol...i know nobody's tryin to beat me down...i just got rubbed the wrong way and there was no snugglin afterwards.....

Old 01-24-2010, 12:53 AM
monsterbaby
Hotshot

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Take it anyway you want but don't complain when you get a ticket for $10,000 for operating without authority and then after you get that ticket the IRS comes knocking on your door for back taxes and fines and interest and when they are done with you the state comes after you for back fuel taxes and when it's all said and done you don't have your truck house or a business.

Oh and then when the boat your towing without authority that doesn't belong to you comes off the trailer and hits some kid, and the owner of the boat figures out that since you don't have proper authority to haul for hire and proper insurance that suddenly he could be co-defendent in a multi million dollar lawsuit so he claims you stole the boat. Now your not only liable for the millions but your in jail for theft too.

BTW Bro, it's people that try to skirt the laws that make it tough on those of us that actually do this for a living and cause more laws to be made and enforced and me to have to deal with more BS just trying to make a living for my family and give the entire industry a bad name. So sorry I upset your apple cart BRO.

Old 01-24-2010, 08:30 AM
lowbed dud
Senior User

david rob is right, cross t's and dot i's , good luck, when and if they bite they take big one's.

Quick Reply: Truck For Hire...