Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DP Tuner

Truck For Hire...

Search this Thread

Old 01-22-2010, 05:45 PM
jkidd_39
Posting Guru
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Well the dealership said they would risk it as opposed to paying for him to get his CDL.

It may very well be one of those things that if you are a ***** to the cop your gonna get a ticket for it.. But if your a decent human being it's not even noticed or discussed..

but... when it comes to DOT boys.. they are all kinda jack@$$es..

Old 01-22-2010, 05:49 PM
jdecker88
Post Fiend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
It sounds like a good idea but its hard to make alot of money I know two hot shot haulers here that just got out of it due to not making any money, insurance, fees and what not. There is money to be made but you MUST have good commercial insurance and that is pricey. You MUST be on the ball about weights here in TN they have dumped a BUNCH of money into the state troopers and DOTs to stay on hired and commercial trucking.

Mike the way they are now its better to just get the CDLs just to hush up the DOT because they are getting bad its getting hard to move a dang load of hay or a tractor around here now because we are an easy target if you are for hire. If your not then thats not a big deal. RVs would be a good idea but its a competitive market right now with all the lawn care businesses like yours right now is slow and need something to make some money. I wish you luck man hope you can make some funds with it.

Old 01-22-2010, 06:00 PM
N V US Lawn Care
Elder User
Originally Posted by jkidd_39
Mike,

If you haul a trailer you will need a CDL... I wanna say Class B endorsement.. (the non-air brakes one)

I didn't know this.. the kid that was there at RRE with me used to work for a ford dealership and he was spose to have one cuz he drove the F-450 w/ a 14ft tandem axle with golf carts on it.

I would assume anytime you are hauling "Commercially" you would need a Commercial Drivers License haha..

That said.. I do not have a CDL.. but I am owner of my company.. I found a loop hole haha!! and i don't get workers comp.. darnit!!
Originally Posted by big poppa
I agree, nothing wrong with hustling, been doing it all my life, in a good way..
Andrew got you situated with the liability but I'm not sure on the CDL, you can drive a class A motorhome and TT all over the US without a CDL but for hire, not sure, good question. I been a CDL holder for years but that an interesting question, never asked any of the fellas that drove.
Now you have my curisousity now Andrew. Interesting to say the least. I know for a fact, anything under 26,000 pounds, with NO airbrakes you don't need a CDL, I drove one back in the day, those truck were made just to beat the federal requirements, lol.. Driving for hire, thats a good question, not sure on the combinations either. I got a golf cart repair place right up the road, going to ask that fella just for kicks tomorrow if he's around..
Originally Posted by jdecker88
It sounds like a good idea but its hard to make alot of money I know two hot shot haulers here that just got out of it due to not making any money, insurance, fees and what not. There is money to be made but you MUST have good commercial insurance and that is pricey. You MUST be on the ball about weights here in TN they have dumped a BUNCH of money into the state troopers and DOTs to stay on hired and commercial trucking.

Mike the way they are now its better to just get the CDLs just to hush up the DOT because they are getting bad its getting hard to move a dang load of hay or a tractor around here now because we are an easy target if you are for hire. If your not then thats not a big deal. RVs would be a good idea but its a competitive market right now with all the lawn care businesses like yours right now is slow and need something to make some money. I wish you luck man hope you can make some funds with it.

According to Hot Shot Haulers' website, a CDL is not required for anything less than 26,001 lbs...that being said, i have a class B CDL and air brakes, so, i'm not worried about that...the insurance I will have to carry is to cover me and mine, and whoever i run over...the cargo, i don't have to insure, but i can for an added fee...my insurance allows it...a $500k policy is only $840 a year, and that ain't bad...i also checked with Hot Shot's calculator, and if i can get the loads out there...this can turn into a big deal...not sure why anybody would get out of it unless they're just tired of driving around...i'm young enough that the benefits outweighs the negatives....I'm gonna haul these 3 boats for this guy and see how it goes...my rig+the boat is only 5.3 tons...no worries with the DOT...i'll just have fun with it...

Old 01-22-2010, 06:03 PM
jdecker88
Post Fiend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Don't have no International badges on there lol one guy got accused of having an international truck hybrid that wasn't registered by DOT standards LOL True story. Good luck man!

Old 01-22-2010, 06:06 PM
big poppa
Post Fiend
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Well the dealership said they would risk it as opposed to paying for him to get his CDL.

It may very well be one of those things that if you are a ***** to the cop your gonna get a ticket for it.. But if your a decent human being it's not even noticed or discussed..

but... when it comes to DOT boys.. they are all kinda jack@$$es..
If a company's going to pay, by all means, get that license, not a bad deal at all. I agree, DOT are jerks. Absolutely nothing wrong with you truck and they WILL find something, got shut down in Joplin Mo. scales for 24 hours 16 years ago running a tad over 80,000, like 82,... something, was running 1/4 tanks to help offset the weight..didn't jive..

Wow, farm tractors even for hire are exempt, they are around here anyways. Why bite the hand that feeds yaa, just don't get it. Being legal and informed and knowing the laws is key but I wish David lots of luck, go for it.

Old 01-22-2010, 06:06 PM
N V US Lawn Care
Elder User
Don't have no International badges on there lol one guy got accused of having an international truck hybrid that wasn't registered by DOT standards LOL True story. Good luck man!

Now that's funny...i'm glad i didn't ask Clay for a copy of his grille then...

Old 01-22-2010, 06:10 PM
big poppa
Post Fiend
Well, thats great to hear, you have jobs all ready???

Old 01-22-2010, 06:13 PM
jkidd_39
Posting Guru
Originally Posted by N V US Lawn Care
According to Hot Shot Haulers' website, a CDL is not required for anything less than 26,001 lbs...that being said, i have a class B CDL and air brakes, so, i'm not worried about that...the insurance I will have to carry is to cover me and mine, and whoever i run over...the cargo, i don't have to insure, but i can for an added fee...my insurance allows it...a $500k policy is only $840 a year, and that ain't bad...i also checked with Hot Shot's calculator, and if i can get the loads out there...this can turn into a big deal...not sure why anybody would get out of it unless they're just tired of driving around...i'm young enough that the benefits outweighs the negatives....I'm gonna haul these 3 boats for this guy and see how it goes...my rig+the boat is only 5.3 tons...no worries with the DOT...i'll just have fun with it...
The one thing to be careful about is state by state. Some states will go by the manufacture's weight on the door. In your case I think it would be something like 14,5000 gross weight..

I think this is one of those **** of the DOT/hypo situation but something to be leery of.

It might look easy to make $$$ but there is alot that goes into it. I need $50 an hour to just cover costs on my dumptruck. I charge $80 an hour plus fuel costs..

Ohh yeah.. fuel costs suck something fierce..

Old 01-22-2010, 06:16 PM
N V US Lawn Care
Elder User
Well, thats great to hear, you have jobs all ready???

Yeah, i bid on 3 boats at $1 per mile with a flat $50 dead head fee for the ride back, and got 'em within an hour...my wife said...good GD, you've been wasting our time with that mowing crap...so, i'll make a nice chunk of loot next week, and i'll be happy while doing it...

Old 01-22-2010, 06:20 PM
big poppa
Post Fiend
Not to sound ignorant but with the wear and tear and tolls and fuel, 1.00 a mile isn't that great, Tractor trailer owner operators are fighting for a 1.52 cent per mile. Is that 50.00 buck deadhead from anywhere because you'll spend that in fuel alone?? What you need to ask them if they can get you something going back, to that general area or whatever, so you and the truck are making money..Also ask, is that airplane miles or actual road miles paid!! Big difference, airplane miles you get screwed, can't drive thru mountains..

Old 01-22-2010, 06:24 PM
jkidd_39
Posting Guru
What is the distance?? RT?

I did some quick math..
500 miles one way.
13mpg
$2.80 a gallon on fuel est.
you make $550 for the trip.

Fuel costs should be around $224

You make $250 + associated trailer wear, tire wear, truck wear, etc.

Old 01-22-2010, 06:31 PM
N V US Lawn Care
Elder User
Not to sound ignorant but with the wear and tear and tolls and fuel, 1.00 a mile isn't that great, Tractor trailer owner operators are fighting for a 1.52 cent per mile. Is that 50.00 buck deadhead from anywhere because you'll spend that in fuel alone?? What you need to ask them if they can get you something going back, to that general area or whatever, so you and the truck are making money..
You are absolutely correct...a buck a mile is pretty cheap...i originally bid at $1.25, but got out bid, and had to rebid...luckily, i don't have any overhead other than usual expenses...the guy i'm hauling for bought 3 boats in ** and needs 'em hauled to **, he also got some in **...after i'm done with these 3, he may have me go get them too...the dead head fee is $50 anything less than 1k, and it goes up every 1k...he didn't like it, but, i told him the same things you're saying, it was just to cover the fuel to get me back to TN for the 2nd and 3rd boats...then he was ok...

the income, costs issue breaks down like this...

i will earn $1900 to haul these 3 boats, my fuel cost will be $565, and i'll get the cheapest hotel i can, just to sleep, change clothes, and sleep, so, that should run me @ $300 including food...so, aside from my hotel and food, i'll clear right at $1300...and i'll bring $1k home for 4 days work...and that's a crap load better than i'm making sitting here waiting for McDonalds to offer me a job....hehehe

Old 01-22-2010, 06:37 PM
N V US Lawn Care
Elder User
What is the distance?? RT?

I did some quick math..
500 miles one way.
13mpg
$2.80 a gallon on fuel est.
you make $550 for the trip.

Fuel costs should be around $224

You make $250 + associated trailer wear, tire wear, truck wear, etc.

640 miles one way...and i get 18 mpg in my rig...with a 28 gallon tank= 504 miles per tank...at $2.79 per gallon average...that's $78 per fill up, and should take 7.511 tanks...=$585 for fuel all inclusive...$1900, less the $585 fuel expense, less the $300 hotel and food expense=$1015 bring home for 4 days work...pays better than my last job...lol

Old 01-22-2010, 06:44 PM
big poppa
Post Fiend
Yea, not busting your bubble, just looking out and assisting. Go out there a do it, I would, for the right price, I love driving.. Cracked me up he got that way, being's your new, he wasn't expecting them questions. Good luck to you. Have you joined the Road help network?? Might be a good time to join if you didn't?? If you get up here in Pa., give me a holler, a beer and dinner with the family, glad to have yaa. Seen your post above, if you can, to save cash, sleep in your truck if possible, at truckstops or pickle parks(roadside rest areas), that fella I talked too when I bought my trailer sleped in his truck, he looked it, lol..

Old 01-22-2010, 06:49 PM
jkidd_39
Posting Guru
I would guess that 18mpg is gonna be tough to get going up to MI.. you are gonna have a headwind that will kill mileage. I would expect 8-10 max fighting that wind. You may however ride a tail wind to texas getting 13-15mpg.

Hauling kills mileage. Good luck

Quick Reply: Truck For Hire...