1997-2006 Expedition & Navigator 1997 - 2002 and 2003 - 2006 Ford Expedition and Lincoln Navigator Discussion

overhead video console for 1999 w/rear air - help!

Search this Thread

Old 07-01-2002, 08:32 PM
sfc2001
Cross-Country
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Am looking for a replacement overhead console molded for a flip-down video screen, and the only one I've been able to find -- custom fit for Expedition -- is the Audiovox, which extends waayyyyy back and covers the center-overhead rear air vent for the middle row seat.

http://www.audiovox.com/images/vehiclespecific/sizeFordExpedition.jpg

The only thing in the 'extended-long' portion of this replacement console is a filler plug for, I suppose, a 2nd flip down monitor for 3rd seat passengers... I have no need for it though and don't want to cover that middle seat center-overhead vent.

Anyone know of any or installed one on a 1999 or similar w/rear air? Appreciate any info. Have checked several places, no luck.

Scott

Old 07-02-2002, 10:10 AM
Boxter
Junior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Well, I may be able to help and may not. I have a 2001 (not 99) with a sunroof. I had a flip down added from Ford. It was not the one that is normally installed from the factory. This was a dealer add on.

Couple of nice features:
The way the screen flips, when it is in its closed position, you are not looking at the back of the screen, but the front of it. Kinda nice when the driver in at a Railroad crossing, or at a long light. Kinda nice to pop the seat back and see what’s on. Just do not let you local 5.0 see you doing it.

The unit I got did come with a VCR. It is not installed in the center console like the factory does. It is installed overhead just behind the 3rd seat (was not real happy with that, but after I saw it, I was fine). However, the RCA jacks are easy to get to, so adding my X-Box and playing games or DVDs is not a problem.

The VCR that I got also has a tuner in it. As well, there is an antenna that is in the back window. I can pick up local channels while in the truck! Factory install does not offer this at all. Really nice when camping a storm rolls through. Makes it easy you hop in and see the radar and figure out if you are going to stay or not.

I am not sure of the unit specs right now. The truck is in the shop, but I will get it this afternoon (or I should at least). Any way, where the screen mounts to the top of the truck looks like it is designed to fit with or with out the sunroof. It mounts to the underside of where the AC duct work starts for the 2nd row of seats. The colors match perfectly. It really is a nice set up.

I know, I know, the next question is cost. I am not sure. I had the dealership install it as well as give me a 6 yr, 120k mile extended warranty for all of the problems that I had (in the 1st year, I had 2 trannys, 2 throttle bodies, 3 throttle linkages, 1 new AC compressor, 7 sets of horns, 2 new rear windshield wiper motors, and a partridge in a pear tree). It is a lemon, but due to the lease, I would have to pay over 14k to get out (with penalties and interest). I will keep this problem child until the lease is done, and then it is Fords problem again.

When I get the truck, I will get the info on who makes it and all that stuff.

Hope this offers some help

Boxter

Old 07-02-2002, 11:52 AM
Drawsoncad420
Senior User

Wow, finally a question i could've answered easily and "Boxter" took all the fun out of it I have a brochure sitting on my counter with a variety of units that will fit the Exped. I Picked it up at Hot Import Nights.

On a side note, also in a brochure on my counter. They make a Satelite Dish Kit that mounts on the roof of the Xped that looks like a Cargo Carrier. Its fully motorized and opens up with a push of a button to reveal the Dish. When i first saw it, it was like something out of the movies...crazy.

Old 07-04-2002, 09:42 AM
robmd21
New User

I have the exact console you are looking at. I had one screen and ended up putting the second one in too. I have seen "inserts" made to be able to use the console, and the vent.

http://www.lawest.com/expedition.html

Old 07-04-2002, 07:24 PM
Steve1223
Freshman User

I recently installed the console you are describing from audiovox in my 1999 Expy and IT WAS A PAIN IN THE !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I had to modify the headliner so much that it almost wasnt worth it. It has that plastic plug. (what this is for I have no idea) It might be another monitor location but it doesnt look like one would fit. IF you are not comfortable with having to cut your headliner (i.e. Lease) I would suggest going with the center console that has a built in TV AND VCR. It would be a hell of alot easier too. Had I thought about it more thats what I would have done. And the screen is alot bigger too. Good luck in whatever choice you make.

Old 07-05-2002, 07:43 PM
sfc2001
Cross-Country
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Wow, great replies. Thanks all for the great info. Boxter, is there any chance of you posting a couple of photos of your setup? I'm curious if the unit you have is available Ford-wide or just thru your local area. If I'm understanding right, both monitor and VCR mount overhead, and none of the overhead vents are blocked?

Drawsoncad, is there any online resource associated with the flyer you have? Would like to see more info on what you've found in your searching... Any help appreciated.

Thanks again everyone. Have a great 4th holiday.

Scott

Old 07-05-2002, 09:13 PM
buzzard
Logistics Pro