Deciding on paint job, pro or diy

Search this Thread

Old 01-18-2010, 09:16 PM
hutch1973
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Deciding on paint job, pro or diy

I've been reading through various threads tonight as I recently purchased a truck, and was planning on having some estimates from shops about having it repainted. I'm guessing from the forums it's going to realistically be 2-4, and I'm guessing at least 3 since I want a color change. Specifically leaning towards something along the lines of Sterling Grey Metallic, like on the newer Ford trucks.

Here's what I have.

The black is a rubberized undercoating spray job, shouldn't be difficult to take off. Expecting the front fenders to be rotted, so going to just replace them. Believe the rockers/doors are fine.

Here's my question: While this forum has a wealth of information on how to do something, I can't seem to nail down the cost. I know I will have to buy everything needed for the paint job, ac. compressor, welder, spray gun, etc, as well as all the materials to do the work. I want to know how much I should expect to spend on that. Also, how many hours should I expect in prep/paint in order to complete the work. (Assuming no rust in doors/rockers and fenders will simply be changed).

What I'm trying to determine is how much can I actually save after buying everything and what hours would be, since I am worried about how much time it will take up, once it's warm enough to do the work.

Old 01-19-2010, 08:15 AM
gfw1985
Cranky Old Guy
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Depends if you plan on doing another or is this a one time thing. Buying the equipment and supplies will run you about the same as having it done. You'll have the tools, but no good to you if it's only one time. Plus you need a place to work. Skill level and quality is proggresive with time spent. Metallic's are harder to shoot properly. If your time is valuable to you, pay a pro. I love painting, but the prep work is intensive for a proper job.

Old 01-19-2010, 09:26 AM
frgtflrcn
Freshman User
a good quality paint job is worth the money

Old 01-19-2010, 09:32 AM
hutch1973
Senior User
Originally Posted by gfw1985
Depends if you plan on doing another or is this a one time thing. Buying the equipment and supplies will run you about the same as having it done. You'll have the tools, but no good to you if it's only one time. Plus you need a place to work. Skill level and quality is proggresive with time spent. Metallic's are harder to shoot properly. If your time is valuable to you, pay a pro. I love painting, but the prep work is intensive for a proper job.
That's what I was thinking after reading through various threads on here. Started looking around last night at used compressors and things like that, and could pick up a decent one for $300. I have a garage that is big enough for this truck, and once it's warm enough the for the wife to park outside I can have the whole thing.

I'm more concerned about time over money. I don't care about buying the tools because they always have a value and use. However, if like you suggest, it'll be a wash for the first job and it might be years before I use it again, maybe I should leave it to a pro.

Old 01-19-2010, 03:05 PM
hutch1973
Senior User
Actually, where does the additiomal cost come from? Figure I can find a used welder/air compressor for under $500. Stopped at an auto body supply house and he said gun and paint around the same. Think I can eat up another 500 in 'other' supplies, but I'm no where close to the 3k I figure a pro job would run. So while time is still a huge factor, figuring at least a month of weekends, still think I should consider doing it for the price difference?

Should also state, nothing is daunting to me about the prep outisde of if I have the time to do it. I can weld, remodel, wrench on stuff, changed bodies before...sanding/painting doesn't seem to hard as long as I follow the right steps? Seems if I pull the box off to spray, and start there..I should be able to get the right spray technique down before I hit highly visible areas?

Old 01-20-2010, 08:09 AM
gfw1985
Cranky Old Guy
Buying used equipment will save you some money. The price for a gun and paint is a little low. Factor in if garage is attached to house (fumes, mess), local laws, home owners association, and neighbors. I'd do it if you really want to, just not to save a few bucks. After my last $3000 pro paint job that cracked in two weeks, I figured I could screw it up a lot cheaper. Time is money and my labor is free.

Old 01-20-2010, 07:38 PM
hutch1973
Senior User
Garage is detached and neighbors love me because I've done/helped out with remodeling work in every neighboring house. City leaves me alone because I do building inspector training.

The quote on gun/paint was based on 100 a gallon for paint, gun was a set they sold for 140. Guy said it was good enough for a couple paint jobs, but that if I planned on doing it for a living to look at a better gun. (Could find a better gun if their is a huge difference between the guns.)

It's not a money thing, it's time. I really want to do it because it's something I haven't done and would like to give it a shot, but like you said, time is money. Will probably run and get some quotes the next week or two, and if they are decent might just say screw it and let them do it...just worry if it looks like crap in a couple weeks I'm out that dough.

Big factor is we are hosting a huge family gathering this fall, and I'm under the gun to have a lot of work done to the place for the first shindig. I can spare a month of weekends to work on it, I think, but if it's going to put me behind with the house because I don't have my truck I'm screwed.

Old 01-21-2010, 01:29 PM
67nukeford
Super Moderator
Received 222 Likes on 181 Posts
My plan is to do everything right up to spraying color, then having that professionally done. I just don't have a good enough place to shoot color. AS far as time, depends on how much body work will have to be done, and how perfect you want it. There will be a ton of time spent ensuring everything is straight and sanding.

Old 01-21-2010, 03:46 PM
hutch1973
Senior User
My plans have taken a dramatic change.

Stopped off at a body shop that's a guy I'm aware of who does really good work, and he has nothing in his shop. Said he'd do it for 'cost' to keep his guys going if I could drop it off tonight.

He's going to do the color I want, replace the front fenders with new, $1700 cash. No brainer in my eyes. Dropping it off in 20 minutes.

Old 01-21-2010, 04:23 PM
gfw1985
Cranky Old Guy
Problem solved. It never works out as planned when you're on time line anyway.

Old 01-21-2010, 04:44 PM
hutch1973
Senior User
Yeah, I was worried about my free time this summer if I tried to tackle it. Found out my neighbor is out of work too, who's a carpenter, so going to give him a few hundred to take out my old 8' garage doors and put in a single 18'. One other project I thought would kill a solid weekend gone.

I might actually be bored this summer.

Old 01-22-2010, 11:41 AM
67nukeford
Super Moderator
Received 222 Likes on 181 Posts
Originally Posted by hutch1973
My plans have taken a dramatic change.

Stopped off at a body shop that's a guy I'm aware of who does really good work, and he has nothing in his shop. Said he'd do it for 'cost' to keep his guys going if I could drop it off tonight.

He's going to do the color I want, replace the front fenders with new, $1700 cash. No brainer in my eyes. Dropping it off in 20 minutes.
Hey, that's great! You'll have to post up a pic when they get it done!

Old 01-22-2010, 03:22 PM
vbarker
Senior User
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
At that price it sounds like a good idea. You could spend may more time than that doing it yourself.

Old 01-22-2010, 06:22 PM
hutch1973
Senior User
It wasn't even going to be that much originally. I told him right away I would buy/change the fenders, and probably do some prep work like removing mirrors and such. He said if I did that, and loosened up the box bolts, $1200. We got to talking about it and he asked how serious I was, and I said totally at that price but it would take me a week or two to get the fenders in/replaced and my end of the prep work done. He was ok with that but you could tell he wanted it asap. (shop was empty and they were working on fixing their sign when I came in).

I asked what if he just did everything, including ordering the fenders, thinking it would be about 2k. He said leave the truck here and put half down and only bumped it up $500. I thought if I did it all myself, buying everything, would have spent at least $1500, and I know he'll do a better job then my first time.

I wanted that dark grey/charcoal on the new F150's, he said he'd do some spray outs and I could stop it to choose. Since work is crazy right now I didn't figure I'd have time, so just gave him some creative liberty with the color, which he liked. Only stipulation is I can go buy touch up paint for the inevitable chips. Ya'll saw the pic up top, I'm not going to give a damn if it's a tint or two off what I originally thought. He thought a gunmetal would look tough, anything beats purple.

He's a Chevy guy, admitted that, but said he really liked the truck, loved the lines, so we'll see.

Old 01-23-2010, 09:30 AM
WALFORD'S 56
Postmaster
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by frgtflrcn
a good quality paint job is worth the money
A good quality paint job is about learning how to paint and have the pride to say I did it myself.
I laugh when guys spend 1000s on a paint job on a vehicle that blue book value is less than what the cost of materials is....LOL
I have always painted my own and since retirement...still paint 2-3 times a year.
If you are that critical than by all means ...pay for the job.....but on a 2-4000 dollar vehicle....paint it yourself...and then take what you learn and do it some more.
Money is tight all over.....I used to teach vocational school adult ed and taught many to paint......it is not that hard.
If there is a mistake....sand it out and do it again....still cheaper than a pro.
I didn't mean to not have someone else paint your vehicle if you have the money.....or cannot paint at home....or cannot find a shop to work in.
Bill

Quick Reply: Deciding on paint job, pro or diy