1997-2006 Expedition & Navigator 1997 - 2002 and 2003 - 2006 Ford Expedition and Lincoln Navigator Discussion

Audio System - Funny Story and Question

Search this Thread

Old 05-08-2002, 03:36 PM
guitar4him
Junior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The other day, the audio system in my 98 Expy EB started malfunctioning (I thought). I was listening to the radio and it would suddenly start scanning the frequencies for no apparent reason. I tried AM, and both FM bands and then, lo and behold, it was doing the same thing when I tried playing a CD. I tried turning the audio system off and back on. I even tried shutting the engine off and starting back up. Nothing seemed to work.

After about 45 minutes of fooling with the thing, it suddenly dawned on me what was happening. I had my laptop briefcase sitting on the backseat floor and one corner of it was against the scan button on the rear controls. As I would drive along, it would, at times, push the button in and it would start scanning. End of madness.

Here's where I'm a bit confused...My understanding is that the rear controls can be enabled/disabled by pressing the "3" and "5" preset buttons together, while in radio mode. This works on mine. However, regardless of whether the rear controls have been enabled or disabled, when I turn the audio system on, the rear controls are enabled.

I hardly ever have a need for the rear controls to be enabled, and since I carry that laptop case back there every day, I would like the rear controls to remain off so I don't have any more "ghost scanning".

Finally the question...Is it normal for the rear controls to be enabled every time you turn the audio system on? Would a couple of you mind checking yours to see. You can tell from the display on the audio system. If you see a little pair of headphones displayed, the rear controls are enabled. The owner's manual for the audio system seems to imply that the rear control state (enabled or disabled) will remain when you turn the system off and back on.

Old 05-08-2002, 05:02 PM
Debby
Senior User

[updated:LAST EDITED ON 08-May-02 AT 06:02 PM (EST)]My 2001 has the same option, and I have had a similar experience with the controls, only mine was my son playing games with me...

When I able or disable the option for the rear controls, it stays to whatever I put it to before I turn off the engine. Don't know what you are experiencing but if it disables itself when you turn it off, my guess is you have a problem. Maybe the newer models are different. Hope this helps.

Good luck!

Deb

Old 05-08-2002, 07:40 PM
Drawsoncad420
Senior User

Its a real quick fix, if you want those rear controls disabled. I wired neons into that power port just below the rear controls, so ive had the whole Center Console apart. Once you get inside the backside of the center console alls you have to do is pull the connector apart, and your good. Hope this helps!

Old 05-09-2002, 06:09 AM
Petrol
Elder User

>Its a real quick fix, if you want those rear controls
>disabled. I wired neons into that power port just below the
>rear controls, so ive had the whole Center Console apart.
>Once you get inside the backside of the center console alls
>you have to do is pull the connector apart, and your good.
>Hope this helps!
>
>
>
>
I agree with Draws as my audio system 'resets' to the enable the rear seat controls every time the engine is shut off on my '99 Expy.

BTW, a question for those of you that have had the center console apart (Drawsoncad?) Is there anything under the front of the console? I mean right up by the dash in front of the cup holders. I just seem to think that the little cubby hole there could be a little larger, maybe with a lift out tray for more storage, hum might have to see what I can do. . .

Old 05-09-2002, 07:05 AM
Drawsoncad420
Senior User

Up in front, tucked in towards the dash, there is some sort of device. Its fairly big, maybe the 1.5" X 1.5" square, and its got a couple of connectors on it. I have no idea what it is for. Ive never been in an EB Xped. I know the old EB Explorers had those Engine Diagnostic Displays there, maybe that is what it is for. When i go back in to wire the switches for my Hot Wires this summer, ill take a pictuure of the Device.

FYI- Make sure before you try and take the console apart that you have:

A Wrench
A Phillips Head
A Flat Head
and
A Torx

I dont think ford wanted anybody taking this thing apart.

Old 05-09-2002, 07:18 AM
Petrol
Elder User

sounds like a poor mans combination lock (ever differant type of fastner known to man needs to be defeated to get in huh
I was just wondering as my F150 'company car' has the same dash as my Expy except for where the console sits in the Expy, the F150 has a flat floor. I just thought that if there was nothing but 6" depth of emty space it might be put to good use holding some CDs or something.

Old 05-10-2002, 04:41 PM
guitar4him
Junior User

Well, I've done some tests on the system and here are my findings.

Anytime I turn the audio system on using either the volume **** (push-in) or the Radio buttons or CD button, the system comes up with the rear controls enabled.

If I disable the rear controls and then shut the ignition off and then re-start the Expy, the rear controls remain disabled.

Conclusion...don't turn the audio system off. Just let it be on when the Expy is running. This way the rear controls remain off.

Old 05-11-2002, 07:45 PM
Petrol
Elder User

Thanks Ken, I had not tried that before, now I have and it works. My 8 year old daughter is not going to have fun at my expense as I jam to a fav tune any more

Old 06-18-2002, 09:46 PM
gblakeney
Senior User

Old 07-08-2002, 06:22 PM
naffa
New User

Below the center console is a white plastic which is easily carved with a dremel(if you dare). I"ve done so to install a motorized monitor mounted on a side view mirror motor. Worked really well and there is nothing below it. nice truck

PEACE.....

Old 07-09-2002, 04:17 PM
texan_eagle_scout
Senior User

> sounds like a poor mans combination lock (ever
>differant type of fastner known to man needs to be defeated
>to get in huh
>I was just wondering as my F150 'company car' has the same
>dash as my Expy except for where the console sits in the
>Expy, the F150 has a flat floor. I just thought that if
>there was nothing but 6" depth of emty space it might be put
>to good use holding some CDs or something.

You are correct. The consoles in fact are interchangeable. If you put an Expy console in a F-150 you get a nice mod.