Sponsored by: DP Tuner

Pluses and Minuses: CCV Mod

Search this Thread

Old 07-01-2011, 01:55 AM
A/Ox4
9 ECHO 1

Received 35 Likes on 30 Posts
Pluses and Minuses: CCV Mod

I've got the CCV mod on my truck, but what is it actually doing? Other than venting the crankcase. Is it actually improving upon anything? Or does it just keep your intake from becoming saturated?

I've heard some people report a small (.5mpg~) decrease with the CCV installed.
I am not looking for "My mpg hasn't changed/gone down/gone up" but rather facts about "the CCV mod does this and this which will affect your truck in this way" kind of like the physiology of the mod.

Old 07-01-2011, 02:01 AM
VegasFordSD
Laughing Gas
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
As far as I understand it, all the CCV mod is for is to keep the intake and your boots from being saturated in oil. Saturated boots become weak and therefore could lead to blown boots or boost leaks. No real gains except for a nice shiny engine bay

Old 07-01-2011, 02:07 AM
A/Ox4
9 ECHO 1

Thats what I understood too. I'm thinking about switching it back and seeing if those MPG claims are true. I drive A LOT and 1 MPG is a big deal for me. I hand calculate every fill up so I have a good record.

Old 07-01-2011, 07:46 AM
miller_feed
Hook it, I'll pull it.

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I never did the CCV mod and I really don't see a need to if you keep the engine compartment clean. I run my truck in my shop lots of time and I don't want that smoke and smell hanging around. When Jason came to my shop, he had the CCV mod and while running his truck, the shop filled up with the crappy smoke and smell. He decided to put it back stock.

Old 07-01-2011, 07:53 AM
Texas Outlaw
Not a liberal...
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
I have one and will never go back. I hate oily boots and my engine compartment is spotless.

Old 07-01-2011, 08:54 AM
mueckster
Lead Driver
Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
I have a "closed" CCV with a catch can inline before it returns to the air intake. While it doesn't remove 100% of the oil, I do not have any oil leaking from the boots, a dry engine bay, and no smelly fumes.

Old 07-01-2011, 09:19 AM
stangclassic66
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I won't do it. Dirty bay doesn't bother me one bit. Wipe it down every now and again but not big deal.

Old 07-01-2011, 10:04 AM
SteveH-CO
Fleet Mechanic
Received 37 Likes on 31 Posts
I noticed that without the CCV mod, my factory air filter had a few big skidmarks on it from crankcase blowby that went backwards thru the filter. The filter had 5K miles on it. I installed a 6637, and still have not done the CCV mod. I need to pull my 6637 and see if the inside of the filter is oily. If so, then I may do the CCV mod.

I'm pretty sure the air filter gets dirty from high boost/sudden throttle let-off, which causes a backflow (is this a turbo-fart?) into the air cleaner. That's the only way that oil-laden crankcase fumes could move 'backward' through the intake system. The CCV mod would prevent this.

Please correct me if I'm wrong on this.

Old 07-01-2011, 10:13 AM
tdpower
Postmaster
It's not legal to do. Since you live in a state that does smog checks you'll have to return it to stock for testing. You also run the risk of getting pulled over. I live in a bigger city and kind of found it embarrassing to be sitting at a light and have smoke come out from under the the truck. I returned mine to stock. I just check my boots every oil change and wipe down the engine.

Old 07-01-2011, 10:16 AM
miller_feed
Hook it, I'll pull it.

Originally Posted by SteveH-CO
I noticed that without the CCV mod, my factory air filter had a few big skidmarks on it from crankcase blowby that went backwards thru the filter. The filter had 5K miles on it. I installed a 6637, and still have not done the CCV mod. I need to pull my 6637 and see if the inside of the filter is oily. If so, then I may do the CCV mod.

I'm pretty sure the air filter gets dirty from high boost/sudden throttle let-off, which causes a backflow (is this a turbo-fart?) into the air cleaner. That's the only way that oil-laden crankcase fumes could move 'backward' through the intake system. The CCV mod would prevent this.

Please correct me if I'm wrong on this.
Wrong. I have removed my intake tube from the CCV inlet to the filter (6637) more times then most and never seen oil in that part of the intake.

Old 07-01-2011, 10:17 AM
A/Ox4
9 ECHO 1

Originally Posted by tdpower
It's not legal to do. Since you live in a state that does smog checks you'll have to return it to stock for testing.
Says who? SpringerPop has a list somewhere of what can and cannot be modified and no where does it mention anything about anything related to the CCV.

Old 07-01-2011, 10:20 AM
ToMang07
Logistics Pro
Received 614 Likes on 382 Posts
The biggest thing is keeping the oil from your intercooler tubes and boots. Makes a huge difference on mine. I won't go back to stock. The mess I found when I pulled the turbo was amazing. I was NOT having any boost issues, I was making over 30psi boost. You would not believe the oil that was seeping out of the rubber boots after I pulled them all inside and washed them in dawn and degreaser! Found this from the stock CCV when i pulled everything:

Old 07-01-2011, 10:22 AM
ToMang07
Logistics Pro
Received 614 Likes on 382 Posts
Originally Posted by TreySpooner65
Says who? SpringerPop has a list somewhere of what can and cannot be modified and no where does it mention anything about anything related to the CCV.
The EPA. It is considered a "smog" system, and it is illegal to modify any "smog" systems that come from the factory. It's kinda a grey area. tho, like exhausts...

Old 07-01-2011, 10:24 AM
A/Ox4
9 ECHO 1

Originally Posted by ToMang07
The EPA. It is considered a "smog" system, and it is illegal to modify any "smog" systems that come from the factory. It's kinda a grey area. tho, like exhausts...
Hmm... well I have 2 more years before I have to get smogged. But I might take it off anyway.

Old 07-01-2011, 10:31 AM
miller_feed
Hook it, I'll pull it.

I never did the CCV mod and bought my truck new. Where is the problem??

Quick Reply: Pluses and Minuses: CCV Mod