Notices
1987 - 1996 F150 & Larger F-Series Trucks 1987 - 1996 Ford F-150, F-250, F-350 and larger pickups - including the 1997 heavy-duty F250/F350+ trucks
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

84 f350 to 96 f150 cab conversion need advice

Search this Thread

Old 01-17-2010, 12:39 AM
kstheway
Freshman User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Talking 84 f350 to 96 f150 cab conversion need advice

hey guys

doing this conversion tomy '84 f350 diesel cab is shot

got a 96 f150 cab and front mint

need to know if anyone in here

can give me some pointers on the wiring side

so all the instrumental panel and the climate controls

i will have some more pics as i go thanx in advance

Old 01-17-2010, 04:41 AM
metmag52
Senior User
I had a 88 f-350 and was going to do the same thing--people talked me out of swapping
to the newer generation---search my posts--search "swap" ---lots of guys have done theses projects---seems like lots of small hassles--

Good luck

Gary

Old 01-17-2010, 07:03 PM
kstheway
Freshman User
thanx gary i will do that

Old 01-17-2010, 07:18 PM
Diesel_Brad
Fleet Owner
Received 59 Likes on 48 Posts
You are going to need a diesel rad support. The wiring should be pretty straight forward. find what color goes to what gauge and wire accordingly. As for the climate controls, the 80s use cables. the 90s use vacume

Old 01-17-2010, 07:54 PM
Linemo
Senior User
Check out painless wiring harness company they might be able to help you as far as a wiring harness !I will say that the 96 is a factory MAF truck so you should be able to make a few bucks selling that stuff that you will have left over

Old 01-17-2010, 09:22 PM
frederic
Post Fiend
Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts
If you can weld, I have a great, almost painless solution for you that doesn't require you to buy anything.

Remove your old cab, and strip out the wiring harness, dashboard, steering column, and heater core assembly.

Strip out the dash, column, giant aluminum column mount, heater core assembly out of the new cab.

Weld in the original cab's steering column mount into the new cab and mount the original column.

Install the original heater core assembly if it fits in the hole, if not, install the new one. The wiring is almost the same and I can dig out the diagrams if you need them. The only thing that's powered really is the blower motor anyway.

Install the original dash, wiring and such into the new cab, and install the original a-pillar trim as well.

Leave the rest of the new cab intact interior wise, as there are minor differences in mounting, seat belt bolt holes for the shoulder belts, and so on. All you're really changing is the dash and the stuff inside it, the column, and the pillars.

Obviously you could paint the interior plastic of the new cab to match the old dash, or paint the old dash to match the new trim, or paint everything the same color that you like, if this matters to you.

By swapping over the original dash and column (requires a little welding for the bracketry) you can minimize your wiring to just worrying about the heater core assembly.

The 96 F150 cab's wiring is going to be extremely different. It has an electronic speedo which requires a PSOM module and a speed sensor on the differential - your original truck has a mechanical speedo connected to the transmission. The clutch and brake circuits are wired differently, the computers are for certain going to be wildly different and not compatible, and the body harnesses also will be incompatible.

As much as I love playing with wiring, I'd swap the dash as a unit because it would be the least amount of work, I think.

Old 01-20-2010, 10:47 PM
kstheway
Freshman User
Originally Posted by Diesel_Brad
You are going to need a diesel rad support. The wiring should be pretty straight forward. find what color goes to what gauge and wire accordingly. As for the climate controls, the 80s use cables. the 90s use vacume

thanks brad i wanted to swap the whole cabin... so i got to figure out what to do as far as the wiring and the climate control...and speedo

Old 01-20-2010, 10:50 PM
kstheway
Freshman User
Originally Posted by Linemo
Check out painless wiring harness company they might be able to help you as far as a wiring harness !I will say that the 96 is a factory MAF truck so you should be able to make a few bucks selling that stuff that you will have left over

i will look @ PAINLESS i used them for other and they work perfect
on the race car

Old 01-20-2010, 10:56 PM
kstheway
Freshman User
Originally Posted by frederic
If you can weld, I have a great, almost painless solution for you that doesn't require you to buy anything.

Remove your old cab, and strip out the wiring harness, dashboard, steering column, and heater core assembly.

Strip out the dash, column, giant aluminum column mount, heater core assembly out of the new cab.

Weld in the original cab's steering column mount into the new cab and mount the original column.

Install the original heater core assembly if it fits in the hole, if not, install the new one. The wiring is almost the same and I can dig out the diagrams if you need them. The only thing that's powered really is the blower motor anyway.

Install the original dash, wiring and such into the new cab, and install the original a-pillar trim as well.

Leave the rest of the new cab intact interior wise, as there are minor differences in mounting, seat belt bolt holes for the shoulder belts, and so on. All you're really changing is the dash and the stuff inside it, the column, and the pillars.

Obviously you could paint the interior plastic of the new cab to match the old dash, or paint the old dash to match the new trim, or paint everything the same color that you like, if this matters to you.

By swapping over the original dash and column (requires a little welding for the bracketry) you can minimize your wiring to just worrying about the heater core assembly.

The 96 F150 cab's wiring is going to be extremely different. It has an electronic speedo which requires a PSOM module and a speed sensor on the differential - your original truck has a mechanical speedo connected to the transmission. The clutch and brake circuits are wired differently, the computers are for certain going to be wildly different and not compatible, and the body harnesses also will be incompatible.

As much as I love playing with wiring, I'd swap the dash as a unit because it would be the least amount of work, I think.
i will take this into consideration sincei wanted the new dash i guess im in for a big surprice

Old 01-20-2010, 11:40 PM
kstheway
Freshman User
i sprayed the chassis black to prevent corrosion and i put the white f150 cab on the
84 flat bed body......i will post pics tommorrow

Old 01-26-2010, 03:35 PM
kstheway
Freshman User
some updates on the truck ...

this is what i have done so far

let me know if u guys need any of the old truck parts...

973 841 1550

Old 01-26-2010, 03:52 PM
oneill300
Freshman User
looking good man!

Old 01-26-2010, 10:25 PM
kstheway
Freshman User
thank you its comming along

Old 01-26-2010, 10:31 PM
kstheway
Freshman User
guys thanks for the imput but i need advice for wiring and climate controls ...
thankx for the help in advance

Old 01-27-2010, 11:09 AM
Diesel_Brad
Fleet Owner
Received 59 Likes on 48 Posts
Originally Posted by kstheway
guys thanks for the imput but i need advice for wiring and climate controls ...
thankx for the help in advance
Now the fun begings

Quick Reply: 84 f350 to 96 f150 cab conversion need advice