1948 - 1956 F1, F100 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Fat Fendered and Classic Ford Trucks

Power steering box

Search this Thread

Old 02-02-2016, 05:12 PM
horsemanraul
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Power steering box

Hi y'all, I am doing an engine swap on my 1950 F2 and I am wanting to install power steering. Therefore, I need your help from those of you who have done this, with some very much appreciated advice. I would like to find a steering box that is as close to bolt-on and as strong as possible. I heard that a Toyota 4x4, mid eighties truck or four runner either about 82-85 or 86-90 ( I don't know which but I do know they're different ) steering box would work. Your advice is humbly and greatly appreciated.

Old 02-03-2016, 08:18 AM
bjmayberry2
Lead Driver
Received 543 Likes on 349 Posts
Here's a discussion on the HAMB. Power Steering in a 49 Ford? | The H.A.M.B. Looks like the Toyota box won't work.

Old 02-03-2016, 09:42 AM
Scotty's 52 F3
Fleet Mechanic
Received 56 Likes on 49 Posts
Its the straight axle push-pull steering boxes. 79- late 84. Not sure why late 84. The 85's were the last year in USA for the straight axle.

86 was first year for IFS. The early straight axle trucks usually convert to IFS steering boxes so they can run Hi Steer when they lift the truck. Usually the old boxes lay around their garage or get tossed. So talk to some Toyota 4x4 guys and ask to see who has one.

I built a couple Toyota rock crawlers and go wheeling when I can. I got a PS box from an 84 for $30.

Old 02-05-2016, 08:51 AM
artscott61
Fleet Mechanic
Received 78 Likes on 48 Posts
Try the mid-fiftys book page 155 it has a kit that will fit 48-52 the 400 series comes complete but you will have to drill some holes . I put one in my 55 so far I like it.

Old 02-05-2016, 10:13 AM
horsemanraul
New User
Power steering box

Hi Scott's 52, Thank you for your reply. Just to make sure I understand, are you agreeing with the concept that a Toyota 4x4 , 79-84 PS box WILL fit on my 1950 ford F2 pickup?

Originally Posted by Scotty's 52 F3
Its the straight axle push-pull steering boxes. 79- late 84. Not sure why late 84. The 85's were the last year in USA for the straight axle.

86 was first year for IFS. The early straight axle trucks usually convert to IFS steering boxes so they can run Hi Steer when they lift the truck. Usually the old boxes lay around their garage or get tossed. So talk to some Toyota 4x4 guys and ask to see who has one.

I built a couple Toyota rock crawlers and go wheeling when I can. I got a PS box from an 84 for $30.

Old 02-05-2016, 11:58 AM
Scotty's 52 F3
Fleet Mechanic
Received 56 Likes on 49 Posts
There are a few threads on this forum with pics showing it. Find the threads and it should answer all your questions for sure.

Some of them were asking about exhaust manifold clearance and the thread kind of evolves into a P/S thread.

I have not done it myself.........yet. But, I do have a steering box from a 1984 Toyota 4x4 if I decide to go with P/S. To be clear, this was on stock front ends.

There is a conversion mount you can buy or make. You need a conversion pitman arm. You also have to cut the bottom of your stock steering column and get a coupler/u-joint. Your horn wire goes through the bottom of your steering shaft so you have to deal with that as well. There is a kit for that if you can't fab something.

I'm going by memory here so find the threads to make sure. I'm sure I could make it work on my F3.

Scott

Old 02-05-2016, 10:15 PM
Ken's 39er
Junior User
Hi. I installed a Toyota steering box in my 1949 F1 and it works great. I bought all necessary parts from Classic Haulers. This included Toyota box, hoses, steering kit with u-joint and pitman arm, and tie-rod. I cut the longer angled arm on the mounting bracket and welded it back so it is 90 degrees middle piece that it was welded to. This made installation easier on my truck. There are other treads in this site that you should read that will help explain this installation and make it a lot easier. I found the most useful was using a short piece of PVC pipe to help hold the pump and bracket assy in place when lining up the box to steering column and then marking the frame for mounting bolt location. My truck has a SBC with block hugging headers. I have pictures in my profile of modified bracket and installed Toyota steering box.

Old 02-06-2016, 11:21 AM
horsemanraul
New User
power strg bx

Originally Posted by Scotty's 52 F3
There are a few threads on this forum with pics showing it. Find the threads and it should answer all your questions for sure.

Some of them were asking about exhaust manifold clearance and the thread kind of evolves into a P/S thread.

I have not done it myself.........yet. But, I do have a steering box from a 1984 Toyota 4x4 if I decide to go with P/S. To be clear, this was on stock front ends.

There is a conversion mount you can buy or make. You need a conversion pitman arm. You also have to cut the bottom of your stock steering column and get a coupler/u-joint. Your horn wire goes through the bottom of your steering shaft so you have to deal with that as well. There is a kit for that if you can't fab something.

I'm going by memory here so find the threads to make sure. I'm sure I could make it work on my F3.

Scott
Hi Scott's 52, hey thanks for the info. I'm glad you pinpointed the specific 1984 Toyota 4x4 ps box. It helps me narrow down my focus to what WILL work. I would like to see some pictures of it and the adaptation process so I'll try to find them. Thank you for your response sir!

Old 02-06-2016, 11:32 AM
horsemanraul
New User
pwr strg box

Originally Posted by Ken's 39er
Hi. I installed a Toyota steering box in my 1949 F1 and it works great. I bought all necessary parts from Classic Haulers. This included Toyota box, hoses, steering kit with u-joint and pitman arm, and tie-rod. I cut the longer angled arm on the mounting bracket and welded it back so it is 90 degrees middle piece that it was welded to. This made installation easier on my truck. There are other treads in this site that you should read that will help explain this installation and make it a lot easier. I found the most useful was using a short piece of PVC pipe to help hold the pump and bracket assy in place when lining up the box to steering column and then marking the frame for mounting bolt location. My truck has a SBC with block hugging headers. I have pictures in my profile of modified bracket and installed Toyota steering box.
Hi Ken, thanks for your help. This is great! I am definitely interested in contacting Classic Haulers for the same set up. Can you tell me what year Toyota 4x4 you asked for? Also if you don't mind, what ballpark figure did you spend on the set up. Do you have any pictures of the before and after job? I might be asking too much and I really appreciate your help. Thank you sir!

Last edited by horsemanraul; 02-06-2016 at 11:36 AM. Reason: corrected spelling
Old 02-06-2016, 11:36 AM
artscott61
Fleet Mechanic
Received 78 Likes on 48 Posts
CCT04-13.pdf

check this out.

Old 02-06-2016, 04:05 PM
Ken's 39er
Junior User
Hi. You can view "Classic Haulers" on line. Open their online store, then catalog open steering, then steering conversion - Toyota, then look at all of the parts to complete the entire project. You have the choice of a used Toyota steering box or a rebuilt one and stock or aftermarket steering column. You don't ask for a specific year Toyota box, they will send one that is within the years that will work. I have pictures posted here, click on my name then open my profile pictures for bracket mod and installation in truck before fender was reinstalled. We all like to share our experiences so feel free ask when you have a question or run into a problem related to these old trucks. We all worked for a living, so you don't have to "sir" us. Thank you, Ken

Old 02-06-2016, 06:25 PM
Jolly Roger Joe
Lead Driver
Received 27 Likes on 23 Posts
Originally Posted by Ken's 39er
Hi. You can view "Classic Haulers" on line. Open their online store, then catalog open steering, then steering conversion - Toyota, then look at all of the parts to complete the entire project. You have the choice of a used Toyota steering box or a rebuilt one and stock or aftermarket steering column. You don't ask for a specific year Toyota box, they will send one that is within the years that will work.
Here's a link to Classic Haulers

Search - Classic Haulers F-1 Parts

Their phone number is 877-252-1948

Old 02-06-2016, 09:29 PM
oscajo
Senior User

The 5th picture down is the kit I ordered for my 52 and it fit almost perfect. I added a 1/2 inch spacer inside my frame to keep the housing from rubbing the frame flange. It works fantastic.

400 Series Power Steering Boxes and Kits

Old 02-06-2016, 09:32 PM
oscajo
Senior User

I made the aluminum spacer at work

Old 02-07-2016, 07:43 AM
mike.rogers
Senior User
Originally Posted by horsemanraul
Hi y'all, I am doing an engine swap on my 1950 F2 and I am wanting to install power steering. Therefore, I need your help from those of you who have done this, with some very much appreciated advice. I would like to find a steering box that is as close to bolt-on and as strong as possible. I heard that a Toyota 4x4, mid eighties truck or four runner either about 82-85 or 86-90 ( I don't know which but I do know they're different ) steering box would work. Your advice is humbly and greatly appreciated.

I'm about to be doing the same thing horsemenraul . I've been adding up the cost of the kit plus a used box off ebay and other places and it may be a little cheaper for me to order the whole kit from classic hauler or another vendor then try'n to find an old box out of wrecking yard or on ebay. My biggest question is will the 52 and up kits work on the 48-50 trucks. I see more kits for 52-53 to 56 available....

mike

Quick Reply: Power steering box