Oklahoma Chapter Join Chapter, Leader:

What Cell Service Do You Use?

Old 01-15-2010, 09:18 PM
cigarxtc
Postmaster
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question What Cell Service Do You Use?

My wife and i are currently on AT&T month to month since our contract ended. We need a couple of new phones and probably texting added to the service plan. (I need an industructable rubber phone since i have a problem with always dropping mine. sigh.) The reception has been good at most spots i need it; Tulsa, Owasso, on Skiatook and Oologah Lakes, OKC, and through Texas. There are times when the signal gets weak on the north end of Owasso, but it's rare. What company do you use and would you recomend them? So many seem to have comparible rates and nice phones. I'm thinking the cell tower coverage would be my biggest concern?

Old 01-18-2010, 08:48 AM
Traxxis
Postmaster
I'm on ATT and it's fine with me... a bit expensive, about $100 a month with a little bit of texting.

You could get the Samsung "Rugby", it's supposed to be pretty much indestructable... at least check one out.

Old 01-18-2010, 08:30 PM
jwtimme
Laughing Gas
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I have nextel and coverage sucks, at&t is one of the best for coverage. I accually bought an at&t phone just to have at work when the nextel phone was not working at a job in coweta.

Old 01-21-2010, 07:13 PM
MikeB 88
Fleet Mechanic
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
We've been using AT&T even when it was called Cingular. No troubles with us, even worked perfect when we traveled to Hawaii. The only places I can't get service so far are inside my Dads house in Illinois and the top of Pikes Peak. We pay about 130.00 for 5 phones, but don't have text messaging. Got to love those roll-over minutes!!!

Old 01-31-2010, 04:27 AM
Faber
Elder User
had at and t when drove over the road. worked fine.
only problems were in northern kansas/far northern. and switching from 3g to regular tower it would drop calls.

i left them after trying over and over to switch back to paper bills (how my wife wants the bills). email after email/phone call after phone call they would say they switched it back to paper, then the bill wouldnt come and we'd get a call our bill was 2 months past due. over and over. finally one day they turned off my wife's phone while her and my 3 yr. old daughter were going out of town. that was it.
i ported out my numbers to verizon and when at and t tried to stick me with the early termination fee, i told them it wasnt illegal to record a one party consent phone call in oklahoma (which the rep. then said he had to end the phone call if i was recording it and that i was right), went to the owasso store and explained what happened and that i was considering getting a lawyer and tossed out that i know i wasnt the only one they had done this to (class action lawsuit).
she made a phone call and got all the b.s. charges dropped and then some. paid a fair amount and wont go back. i had been a customer for 7-8 years.

no problems with verizon so far.

just fyi for anyone.

my advice though is to keep whatever phones you have and enjoy not having a contract; now if they screw you you can leave when you want with no fees.

Old 02-02-2010, 01:56 PM
SwOkcOffRoader
Postmaster
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Faber
my advice though is to keep whatever phones you have and enjoy not having a contract; now if they screw you you can leave when you want with no fees.
im with that, or you can buy phones from a private party as long as they are ATT phones...stick with month to month until you find something better, if boost had better coverage id go there, $50 a month for unlimited minutes, text and internet can only be beat by the signal coverage ATT has...

we have been with ATT for 11 years, and only have had problems recently when one of our lines (my wifes friend) went over on minutes because she thought her BF had ATT, then i got a bill for $1300!!! she contacted a CSR and they dropped most of the charges, but forced us to change plans to a 4000 minute a month plan....i was enraged, i called ATT and chewed them up and down through 3 supervisors, because the new plan raised my bill from $130 a month to $230 a month for 3 phones!!!! when i finally got someone with some sense on the phone, they looked over our minute usage and noticed we only use 1200 minutes a month if that...and other than the one incident, we never go over, and always have over 5000 rollover minutes....so now after a week of arguing with crappy CSRs, our bill is back to normal with the normal rate plan....ATT reps are trained to try and make a customer comply on the phone, but if you stay fast to your complaints and dont accept what they say as the only option, they will give in and give the customer what they want...after all, they dropped about $1100 in charges and gave us back our original rate plan because i was persistent....

Old 02-02-2010, 10:47 PM
Faber
Elder User
i bought a phone from here once;
Used Cell Phones at Crayton Electronics: Sprint Used Cell Phones, Verizon Used Cell Phones, Used Verizon Phones, Used Cingular Cell Phones
it had some charging issue, i emailed them and they immediately sent out a replacement, which i have used with no problems since.
i dont carry a fancy phone and had broke my original at work. im not paying for insurance on it and wasnt gonna pay full price.
just fyi for anyone it may help.
i think it cost me like $40 dollars. ill be going through them most likely to avoid ever signing a contract as well.

Old 02-23-2010, 10:53 PM
78fordtruckgirl
Freshman User
i've had USCellular for years. Seems to have good coverage everywhere. About $70 a month for 1000 minutes nationwide (no roaming)& 750 texts. Sending pics is 25 cents per unless you pay extra for that. I think it's about $20 extra for unlimited.