Sponsored by: DP Tuner

Best GPS Mount for our trucks

Search this Thread

Old 01-09-2010, 06:59 PM
msmith53
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Best GPS Mount for our trucks

I'm gonna get a GPS unit, and am just wondering with our dashes, what everyone has found that works really well for mounting them on the dash. Is there a particular mount that works the best? Or is it better to do the windshield mount. Thanks for any help/advice.

Old 01-09-2010, 07:21 PM
kccatpower
Senior User
with my old garmin i had one that snapped into the dash vent and really liked it, easy to reach. with my new unit i use the windshield mount but put it on the door glass by my gauges where i can still crack the window. it came with a round plate to attach to dash but its been soo cold here cannot get the adhesive to work.

Old 01-09-2010, 07:30 PM
dcf4x4
Laughing Gas
Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts
I use a windshield suction cup (Garmin nuvi 650) and sometimes it does come off for no apparent reason, probably once a month (possible bad suction cup seal). I do like where it sits in my field of view. I have to be able to see it because the likelihood of actually hearing the voice directions when the engine is running is just a joke. I shut off the speaker anyway because the internal speaker blew after 4 months of full volume and was incomprehensible.

The friction mount is ok but the design of our dashboard promotes sliding when placed within arms reach of the driver.

I've never tried a vent mount but I like it closer to eye level then the vents.

I'm currently looking for a KVT514 with Navigation package. It's a Kenwood in-dash screen that flips upwards "close" to the current position of my old Garmin nuvi. The navigation program is Garmin so no worries there.

Old 01-09-2010, 07:40 PM
ghig1967
Elder User
I second the vent mount. I have mine on the vent to the left of the steering wheel, that way I have everything right there in one place.. My gauges in my 3 pod pillar mount & my GPS right below it. Another reason I chose this mount is "outside visibility" I'm a 911 dispatcher & we get a LOT of calls for stolen GPS's. A GPS mounted on top of the dash or on the windshield stands out from a distance. My GPS is barely visible unless you are looking in the door.

Old 01-09-2010, 07:45 PM
RV_Tech
Hotshot
Received 456 Likes on 310 Posts
I have used both dash and vent mount. I didn't have any trouble with either. At present I have Garmin on windshield and it has never come off.

Steve

Old 01-09-2010, 07:45 PM
AlaskanEx
Bleed Ford Blue

Received 128 Likes on 43 Posts
i have mine mounted on the windsheild above the rear view mirror, its right in my feild of view and i like it..i just need to hide my power cord and i'll be happy.

Old 01-09-2010, 08:15 PM
a77bronc
Freshman User
My girlfriend got me a Nuvi 500 with topo and mounted the disk on the dash above the stereo in my 03 cc and angled the suction mount towards me, works out great. I used to have a suction mount for my Rhino 520 and would fall off depending on the tempurature.

Old 01-09-2010, 08:59 PM
PlatinumPete
Posting Guru
I put the stick on disc on the side of my 650 dash. As stated above, I wanted it as far out of sight from outside the truck as possible. It works out good for me, easy to see and nice and neat with the plug right behind it.

Old 01-09-2010, 10:58 PM
rjmay
Senior User
I have two Garmins and I use the windshield mount just to the left of the rearview mirror on both.

I took the time to hide the cord in the headliner and down the A pillar underneath the dash where I added another power outlet splicing off the cig lighter.

I tried dash mounts but prefer glancing at the Garmin and the mirror in one glance.

Old 01-10-2010, 12:18 AM
knight60626
Senior User
I have 2 garmins and both I use the windshield mounts, As long as the window is clean and the suction cup on the mount is clean it should stay for a long time.
mine is mounted close to dash on window above radio.

Old 01-10-2010, 07:34 AM
msmith53
Senior User
Thanks everyone for all the great advice. Reallly appreciate it.

Old 01-10-2010, 09:04 AM
Ponyboychris
Hit it!
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
My Garmin likes to jump off my windshield. I got a dash mount for Christmas and it sits on top of the dash with no issues now.

Originally Posted by PlatinumPete
I put the stick on disc on the side of my 650 dash. As stated above, I wanted it as far out of sight from outside the truck as possible. It works out good for me, easy to see and nice and neat with the plug right behind it.

Pete, i like your mounting plate and switches. Is that from Clay?

Old 01-10-2010, 11:55 AM
PlatinumPete
Posting Guru
Originally Posted by Ponyboychris
My Garmin likes to jump off my windshield. I got a dash mount for Christmas and it sits on top of the dash with no issues now.

Pete, i like your mounting plate and switches. Is that from Clay?

Thanks Chris, ya the plate and switches are from Clay, along with the gauges you can see in this 'finished' pic....

Old 01-10-2010, 05:26 PM
Ponyboychris
Hit it!
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by PlatinumPete
Thanks Chris, ya the plate and switches are from Clay, along with the gauges you can see in this 'finished' pic....
I need to give him a call then. I have a F550 dash on my workbench and was wondering how to fill the rectangle area with. Nice set up.

Old 01-10-2010, 05:50 PM
mjlewis
Senior User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
i got a garmin nuvi and love it. i also got the friction mount and it stays were it's put. it's easy to transfer between cars and when i park, i just grab it and toss it into the center concole so it's out of site.

Quick Reply: Best GPS Mount for our trucks