Sponsored by: DP Tuner

5th wheel towing questions

Search this Thread

Old 01-09-2010, 04:24 PM
bcg
Tuned
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
5th wheel towing questions

We're looking at getting a 5th wheel to full time in that is going to put me overwieght per the Ford recommendations. The trailers we're looking at are in the 12k range dry, 15k GVWR. I have an '02 F250 4x4 Crew Cab Lariat so my Ford recommendations are 20k GCWR, 12.8K for the trailer. I'm not concerned about the drivetrain being able to handle this, we all know it can, but want to make some supesnsion and brake upgrades so the truck can better handle the load. I've already got 10 ply tires on the rear axle so I'm fine on pin weight. I plan to add cryo'ed rotors on the front and an airbag system for the suspension. Is there anything else you guys would consider necessary for towing 15k?

We will probably be moving very infrequently, the plan is to live in it here after selling the house while I get my business sold off and then to move it to SW Colorado, where we plan to stay. We may take some interim trips before the big move though.

Old 01-09-2010, 04:35 PM
jkidd_39
Posting Guru
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I would recommend some rear blocks off a 1-ton and then airbags/onboard air set-up would help a ton

Old 01-09-2010, 05:10 PM
white Buffalo
Post Fiend
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Find out what the pin weight is for the 5th wheeler you are considering. Our 31' 5th wheel has a pin weight of about 1,500 lbs. Then when you add in the passengers, fuel, and all the other stuff in the cab & bed I'm ussually around 2,300 pounds of cargo weight.

I have been very happy with the airbags and onboard compressor. Definite ride improvement and truck leveling. The cryo treated brakes are also a good upgrade IMO. I was glad to have them when my trailer brakes wet out.

Some additional considerations.

1. Teconsha P3 brake controller - very user friendly

2. Bilstein Shocks

3. 6.0L Trans Cooler

4. Van Turbo

Old 01-09-2010, 05:20 PM
bcg
Tuned
Published pin wieght is 1760. I've done the Bilsteins and have a Wicked Wheel I need to put in. I get a little flutter pulling a steep grade with the 7k bumper pull TT we have right now. Trans cooler is definitely something I need to add. We just did a trip to Co and back and never got over 180* on the trans but, we were also pulling with outside temperatures of 30* - 60*. I've got a brake controller already, it's not fancy but it does the job.

Old 01-09-2010, 05:26 PM
white Buffalo
Post Fiend
Do some calculations to figure out your cargo weight. I believe the owners manual will show the max cargo weight around 2,300-2,400 lbs or so. With a pin weight of 1760 that leaves you about 540-640 lbs left over for passenger, fuel & fluids, and any additional items carried in the cab & bed.

Old 01-09-2010, 05:26 PM
farmb0y
Posting Guru

3rd on the air bags! I haven't gotten the compressor installed yet, but very happy with the bags. The ride is so much better, truck sits level and you don't worry about people flashing their headlights at you at night cuz your's are pointed up from the trailer weight.

Old 01-09-2010, 05:29 PM
bcg
Tuned
Originally Posted by white Buffalo
Do some calculations to figure out your cargo weight. I believe the owners manual will show the max cargo weight around 2,300-2,400 lbs or so. With a pin weight of 1760 that leaves you about 540-640 lbs left over for passenger, fuel & fluids, and any additional items carried in the cab & bed.
Yeah, I know we're probably going to be over some there as well. My main concern is that we stay well within the GAWR and tire load ratings on that. I know I'm going to be over teh recommended max per Ford (but not the actual component ratings) so I want to make sure I do what I need to with the suspension and the brakes so that I can be over safely and stop safely.

Old 01-09-2010, 05:50 PM
white Buffalo
Post Fiend
Sounds cool, just wanted to make sure you understood the max cargo weight in addition to the GCWR & max trailer weights you initially mentioned. Just wanted to make sure you knew before diving in to the purchase.

For that haul I would also change the tranny fluid if it has been a while. Synthetic Tranny fluid will hold up better in the towing & high heat conditions. Otherwise it sounds like you are right on track with the mods.

Old 01-09-2010, 06:01 PM
white Buffalo
Post Fiend
Originally Posted by farmb0y
3rd on the air bags! I haven't gotten the compressor installed yet, but very happy with the bags. The ride is so much better, truck sits level and you don't worry about people flashing their headlights at you at night cuz your's are pointed up from the trailer weight.
I can't wait Adam - forcasted to get up to 25 deg F tomorrow! That would be a 53 degree increase from this morning!

Old 01-09-2010, 06:17 PM
jkidd_39
Posting Guru
dad told me it was -28 there today.. the articulating loader worked like a champ in the snow tho!! took 2 hours to warm up the hydraulics

Old 01-09-2010, 06:37 PM
RV_Tech
Hotshot
Received 456 Likes on 310 Posts
Originally Posted by bcg
We're looking at getting a 5th wheel to full time in that is going to put me overwieght per the Ford recommendations. The trailers we're looking at are in the 12k range dry, 15k GVWR. I have an '02 F250 4x4 Crew Cab Lariat so my Ford recommendations are 20k GCWR, 12.8K for the trailer. I'm not concerned about the drivetrain being able to handle this, we all know it can, but want to make some supesnsion and brake upgrades so the truck can better handle the load. I've already got 10 ply tires on the rear axle so I'm fine on pin weight. I plan to add cryo'ed rotors on the front and an airbag system for the suspension. Is there anything else you guys would consider necessary for towing 15k?

We will probably be moving very infrequently, the plan is to live in it here after selling the house while I get my business sold off and then to move it to SW Colorado, where we plan to stay. We may take some interim trips before the big move though.
Call me a wuss or an a-hole, but I gotta tell you straight up, in the event of an accident if anyone has the where with all to take note you are over manufacturer's ratings and it goes to court, you will be in trouble.

Please don't take this in a bad way because that is not the way I mean it. I love RVs and have been RVing almost my entire life and I turn wrenches on them almost everyday, but even a second rate attorney will have a field day with this type of situation.

Steve

Old 01-09-2010, 06:48 PM
white Buffalo
Post Fiend
Good post Steve - reps to you. I hear ya - it's better to have all the information as possible so we know the rules/situation before the game starts.

Old 01-09-2010, 06:52 PM
RV_Tech
Hotshot
Lord, I hate making a post like that, but having worked as an expert witness in the past, there is no way I can express how vulnerable a person is who exceeds the manufacturer's recommendationz. It only takes one question from the opposing attorney during the deposition to win the case and if there is a death -----

Steve

Old 01-09-2010, 07:01 PM
white Buffalo
Post Fiend
In addition,

then sometimes you get a camper salesperson who is willing to sell you a camper that is way outside your tow vehicle's capacity....makes it easy for folks to get into an unsafe situation without even realizing it.

Old 01-09-2010, 07:15 PM
RV_Tech
Hotshot
Originally Posted by white Buffalo
In addition,

then sometimes you get a camper salesperson who is willing to sell you a camper that is way outside your tow vehicle's capacity....makes it easy for folks to get into an unsafe situation without even realizing it.
Absolutely!! I had one where the camper was so large, the tires were running almost flat. He came to me because the salesperson told him I could do some things to make the truck more powerful. We got it solved by making em take the camper back.

We had one locally where a little seven year old girl died in a crash when they came down off the Interstate loaded too heavily and couldn't negotiate the turn at the bottom of the ramp and I have had two customers who lost their brakes on grades, one an F250 pulling a large fiver way over his ratings.

The only way he lived was no one was coming up the hill in the oncoming lane as he came down it. This stuff really does happen and I admit, I am conservative as the devil when it comes to weights. I am involved in the industry and I care about RVers safety.

Steve

Quick Reply: 5th wheel towing questions