Notices

Raptor Disaster

Search this Thread

Old 01-09-2010, 11:18 PM
Huck BB62
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Well

I never bought into any hype. I've just gotta ask, have you ever driven a Raptor?

Old 01-09-2010, 11:45 PM
offrdmania
Senior User
Dont need to, I own a prerunner

Old 01-10-2010, 12:53 AM
rollerstud98
Postmaster

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
The one in the second pictures?

Old 01-10-2010, 01:11 AM
offrdmania
Senior User
Nope, I have a 97 F250 prerunner and a 2002 Supercrew Prerunner

Old 01-11-2010, 10:42 AM
fordman19762003
Cargo Master
Received 206 Likes on 141 Posts
I don't think there will be any large amount of warranty claims from Raptor users bashing their trucks. Face it, 90% of truck owners use their trucks as cars, and Ford knows it. Thats why all the new trucks have car like interiors/features and sit so low to the ground that they have to be modified to be used for anything other than towing. The Raptor is built for the other 10% of people who want a truck that looks like a truck and don't want the hassle to take a stock truck and void the warranty by modifying it with a bunch of aftermarket components. I think the Raptor is a design that is long overdue and it's success will open the door for other designs like it(Ford Bronco, or F250 BigHoss).

Old 01-11-2010, 10:51 AM
brian42
Lead Driver
Received 118 Likes on 78 Posts
If my wallet was deeper I'd get one in a heartbeat as my second truck...

Old 01-11-2010, 11:17 AM
IndySilverAnny
Senior User
Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts
No more risk than someone buying a Cobra and running in HPDE events... What? Your brakes are wearing out too quickly? you say your Cobra goes thru tires too fast?

Old 01-11-2010, 06:51 PM
REDFORDFX4
Senior User
Originally Posted by offrdmania
That second truck is not a race truck, it is 100% street legal and still retains the factory interior. And like Evan 99 just said, if he owned a Raptor he would be jumping it. My point exactly. You can build the second truck for around $50K so not much more than the Raptor.

I think somebody is jealous that there bulding a truck like this after he spent all the money building one himself.

Old 01-11-2010, 08:43 PM
Huck BB62
Senior User
Well....

you didn't hear it from me!

Old 01-11-2010, 10:56 PM
offrdmania
Senior User
Originally Posted by REDFORDFX4
I think somebody is jealous that there bulding a truck like this after he spent all the money building one himself.
Thats a joke right? Lets take your Raptor and my prerunner into the desert or on the dunes and see who gets further.

Old 01-12-2010, 01:07 AM
richtor
Senior User
Thats a joke right? Lets take your Raptor and my prerunner into the desert or on the dunes and see who gets further.
Lets do that! They will be all over the place shortly, specifically that the orders of the 6.2 have been placed. I will ask Foutz that as well. He runs a Fabtech 250 in the best of the desert, I will ask him to compare the two. His race truck vs the stock raptor.
How bout some rockcrawling? Does your prerunner do that too?

The Raptor R did have some trouble with the leaf spring perches cracking in baja. And they also had to replace at least one driveshaft(spiral crack).

Old 01-12-2010, 01:41 AM
offrdmania
Senior User
I see you have a broad use of Google. By the way, its Best IN the desert and comparing my prerunner to the Foutz F-250 is apples to oranges. Im not sure why you keep referring to my truck as a "race truck" since mine is arbitrarily the same as yours.

Old 01-12-2010, 01:57 AM
richtor
Senior User
I see you have a broad use of Google. By the way, its Best IN the desert and comparing my prerunner to the Foutz F-250 is apples to oranges. Im not sure why you keep referring to my truck as a "race truck" since mine is arbitrarily the same as yours.
If I used google I would not have missed the "in". I also did not call your truck a race truck, I called Foutz truck a race truck, it has full cage no windows, dont even think it has a vin.

Point is that would be a good test. Good long travel prerunner vs stock raptor.
I met Greg on the raptor rides last year in AZ and have been to his shop a few times. If anyone would know what the stock raptor can and can not do he would.
Cool pics huh?

Old 01-12-2010, 02:04 AM
offrdmania
Senior User
Yeah, cool pics. This thread is only to point out the problems with Fords marketing and making people think that their Raptor will do what the race truck will do or what Ford depicts in their ads (jumping). I said it was a disaster because you will always have "that guy" who brings his Raptor into the dealership on a flat bed, scratching his head as to why his frame bent and his front suspension is completely collapsed wondering what to do after the service manager says, "sorry, abuse is not covered under the warranty". Ive been in the lifted truck industry for almost 10 years and have seen every side of abuse cases and every story along with it. If you want to drive that way then you can easily build a prerunner capable of it for around the same cost as a Raptor. That is all

Old 01-12-2010, 09:15 AM
powerstroke72
Super Moderator
Received 35 Likes on 21 Posts
The same problem exists for all manufacturers. Toyota has to worry about people building a giant see-saw and driving a Tundra across it or driving at high speed right to the end of a cliff and braking just in time. Dodge has to worry about guys driving through obstacle courses where the truck will be hit with swinging logs and fire. Ford has to worry about blind people driving Mustangs at high speeds. And these are just a few. Many disclaimers out there as well warning people that the events are on a closed course with professional drivers.

It's not just the Raptor, it's all vehicles that are manufactured and marketed to the masses. It's marketing. Happens everyday from the shampoo you use to the food you put on the table. And if there's a way and a will to sue or claim something was faulty or defective, some toehead is going to try to do it just to get something for nothing.

Quick Reply: Raptor Disaster