Notices
6.0L Power Stroke Diesel 2003 - 2007 F250, F350 pickup and F350+ Cab Chassis, 2003 - 2005 Excursion and 2003 - 2009 van

2006 Bucking/Jerking in OD

Old 01-06-2010, 09:37 AM
noj70
Junior User
noj70 is starting off with a positive reputation.
2006 Bucking/Jerking in OD

Just bought my F-250 1.5 months ago and already am having problems. While in Overdrive with steady throttle it will sometimes jerk/buck until I brake or accelerate then when the RPM's smooth out again it will go back to bucking and jerking. I noticed it first started while going up hills ( and not large ones since I live in MS). Now this morning it happened on a flat level road. Speed before was around 75 MPH and RPM's were right at 2K. This morning speed was 63 MPH and RPM's were at 1700. The truck has 94,000 miles on it. Now I have narrowed it down to 2 things, either an injector or the TCC solenoid. What is going to be the best way to find out which it is? Is there something else I am missing? The reason I think it is the TCC is due to it only acting like this in overdrive. Now after doing some extensive reading on this site I am thinking Injector. Is this a symptom of a sticking/bad injector(s)?
Thanks,

Old 01-06-2010, 05:40 PM
1954oldred
Senior User
1954oldred is starting off with a positive reputation.
I had a similar condition about 2k miles ago. I spoke w/numerous folks on this site and narrowed it to an injector. This condition still existed even after I had to replace my FICM (ruled that out) I figured I had nothing to loose by trying Hot Shots Secret and I can honestly tell You that it has worked and worked well! my studder/buck is gone. it did not happen overnight it took about 2k miles for mine to correct, My truck runs noticeably better, in fact it runs great.

Old 01-17-2010, 05:49 PM
noj70
Junior User
Ok I have spent the last few weeks reading and reading and learning a lot of great info. Since this is my first Ford and my first Diesel I have some more questions to help me figure this one out before I give up and take it to the dealer.
Do Fords store codes with out the SES light coming on?
Would an updated flash fix this problem if it is injector related?
Am I even hunting in the right area for the problem I am having?
Would a good non dealer shop have the diagnostic equipment to run this down the road and get readings from the TCC solenoid, Injectors, when the vehicle acts up?
I also would like to update my symptoms....
It bucks and jerks real bad when cold, and will do it intermittently while warm both in overdrive.
Not much smoke at all when starting cold.

Old 01-17-2010, 07:19 PM
rickatic
Postmaster
rickatic has a great reputation on FTE.rickatic has a great reputation on FTE.rickatic has a great reputation on FTE.rickatic has a great reputation on FTE.
When mine was doing the same thing I had a bad injector. My Auto Enginuity narrowed it down to #8. New injector and it ran fine until the oil cooler let go.

Old 01-17-2010, 07:50 PM
noj70
Junior User
Wish I could afford one of those!! They sure look worth the investment though!

Old 01-17-2010, 07:55 PM
rickatic
Postmaster
rickatic has a great reputation on FTE.rickatic has a great reputation on FTE.rickatic has a great reputation on FTE.rickatic has a great reputation on FTE.
Yup, I love my AE. It is going to get even better real soon. When they release the bi-directional feature in the next upgrade, the software will get ever closer to the dealership stuff. I have used mine more than enough to have paid for it.

Old 01-17-2010, 10:57 PM
jwtimme
Posting Guru
jwtimme is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
mine was doing the same think, bucking under slight accerloration in overdrive as soon as it kicked out of over drive bucking quit. I was thinking it was the torque converter, it mysterisly quit doing it about 1000 miles ago.

Old 09-03-2010, 11:04 AM
dillehay
Senior User
dillehay is starting off with a positive reputation.
This is madness, how can so many people have this problem with no obvious fix, mine is doing it and driving me crazy that I can figure it out. I really think it is torque converter related the shake and buck seems to be centered and if an injector was bad wouldnt it affect more of the rpm range than this narrow range?

Does the pcm command the torque converter to lock or unlock when it shifts to OD I really dont know when and what it should be doing?

Old 09-03-2010, 06:50 PM
cheezit
Post Fiend
cheezit has a spectacular reputation.cheezit has a spectacular reputation.cheezit has a spectacular reputation.cheezit has a spectacular reputation.cheezit has a spectacular reputation.cheezit has a spectacular reputation.cheezit has a spectacular reputation.cheezit has a spectacular reputation.cheezit has a spectacular reputation.cheezit has a spectacular reputation.cheezit has a spectacular reputation.
odds are its an injector. very few trans issue with the 5r110.
does this only happen when using cruise controll.

Old 09-04-2010, 06:32 AM
jwtimme
Posting Guru
jwtimme is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
mine turned out to be a missing injector, fix worked for about 10000 miles now I have anther one missing.

Is there a better injector I can replace the stock ford ones with

Old 09-04-2010, 11:01 AM
1957F100
Elder User
1957F100 is starting off with a positive reputation.
My truck did something very similar a few weeks ago. I was able to get it to do it many times. I found out that if I accelerated up to 80 km.hr and the rpm was around 2000 rpm as soon as i hit that point I would back off the throttle to just cruise at that speed. When i did this the tranny would go into overdrive and the rpm would drop to around 1200-1300 if i remember correctly. Once the rpm had dropped if i tried to accelerate i had to push the pedal way farther than i normally would have and it felt like the truck didnt want to come out of overdrive and it would eventually start bucking and jerking.

I posted on here about it and got no answers. So what i did was disconnected the batteries to reset the computers and let the tranny relearn. I havnt noticed it since.

Old 09-06-2010, 01:42 PM
dillehay
Senior User
dillehay is starting off with a positive reputation.
Cheezit happens all the time on mine not just when in cruise, only when light on the throttle with the low rpm's of overdrive. If I throttle hard then the transmission will down shift like normal and take off but I cant slowly increase my speed while in overdrive it will buck until the rpm's are near 2 or above.

I will try disconnecting batteries and let the PCM reset.

Old 09-06-2010, 01:51 PM
cheezit
Post Fiend
cheezit has a spectacular reputation.cheezit has a spectacular reputation.cheezit has a spectacular reputation.cheezit has a spectacular reputation.cheezit has a spectacular reputation.cheezit has a spectacular reputation.cheezit has a spectacular reputation.cheezit has a spectacular reputation.cheezit has a spectacular reputation.cheezit has a spectacular reputation.cheezit has a spectacular reputation.
sounds like an injector

Old 09-06-2010, 02:11 PM
noj70
Junior User
I guess I never replied to this post. It was an injector.

Old 02-11-2016, 01:24 PM
Unchained1977
New User
Unchained1977 is starting off with a positive reputation.
Same issues

Originally Posted by noj70 View Post
Just bought my F-250 1.5 months ago and already am having problems. While in Overdrive with steady throttle it will sometimes jerk/buck until I brake or accelerate then when the RPM's smooth out again it will go back to bucking and jerking. I noticed it first started while going up hills ( and not large ones since I live in MS). Now this morning it happened on a flat level road. Speed before was around 75 MPH and RPM's were right at 2K. This morning speed was 63 MPH and RPM's were at 1700. The truck has 94,000 miles on it. Now I have narrowed it down to 2 things, either an injector or the TCC solenoid. What is going to be the best way to find out which it is? Is there something else I am missing? The reason I think it is the TCC is due to it only acting like this in overdrive. Now after doing some extensive reading on this site I am thinking Injector. Is this a symptom of a sticking/bad injector(s)?
Thanks,
I noticed my 2006 expedition had started to buck and jerk. It threw a P0304 code (cylinder 4 misfire). I replaced the coil no difference. I replaced the plug still no difference. I just replaced the fuel injector yet still no difference. But like you said it only happens when shifting into od so I turned the od off and the problem stopped. So I'm sure it has to be the TCC.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: 2006 Bucking/Jerking in OD

Contact Us - About Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

© 2019 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.