Notices
1987 - 1996 F150 & Larger F-Series Trucks 1987 - 1996 Ford F-150, F-250, F-350 and larger pickups - including the 1997 heavy-duty F250/F350+ trucks
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

high and low beams.. together?

Search this Thread

Old 01-08-2010, 08:36 PM
LCAM-01XA
Postmaster
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by lmd91343
THanks, now I don't need to experiment! My Silverstar Ultra bulbs cost about $50 for the pair. Sorry you had to find out the hard way.
Heh, no big deal, I got plenty of spares from vehicles we've scrapped
Originally Posted by Ryno F-150
M.L.S.C. was you using a aftermarket deal or did you wire it up yourself?
My own wiring, I don't trust overpriced chinese-made crap, besides I change my mind on wiring setups every few months anyways And better bulbs will probably not help you, the ones I killed were pretty decent...
Originally Posted by frederic
I rewired my truck in this fashion about a decade ago and I've never had an issue with bulbs burning out nor the housings melting. I did wire up a bypass switch on my overhead console so I can enable or disable this at will because of both high and low beams are on simultaniously, you have no flash-to-pass feature. When you pull the stalk towards you (92-whatever) both high and low illuminate for flash to pass.
That's nice it works for you. The first set of lights I killed were Hella, the second was Sylvania XV. What bulbs do you run? Do you also have a relay harness for the lights?

Old 06-19-2011, 09:36 AM
detract
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I know this is a very old post, but it is on the top page of google results for this question.
So for those of us who still find this information relevant here's the answer.

Don't go buyin any bright box, all you need is 2 inches (if that) of wire

This mod is for people who have changed their headlight housings to use separate high and low bulbs, or HID Hi/Lo bulbs where you need the HID's to stay on, and the high to trigger the coil. If you use this with (typically stock) dual filament bulbs they will overheat & burn out quickly.

Legality is somthing else. Personally if I'm driving with my high's on it's because no one is in front of me, so what's the harm with having a little more light? and when a car comes, you shut them off.

This is called the Hi&Lo or Quad Lighting Mod. As a result of this mod if you're vehicle is equipped with fog lights that shut off when you switch to high's, they will remain on now too. That is called the Bambi Mod.

This procedure was done in a 04 F150. This will be typical for most Ford trucks, and the principal works on most cars/trucks of other manufactures too (explained below)

First remove the multifunction switch from your steering column.

On the F150 there will be 3 connectors for the signals, wipers, and the high's and low's.

Looking from the back, the connector you need will be the one on the bottom left. Simply jumper the top two red wires.

In the F150 these feed relays and not the lights themselves, so I used 16 ga wire and haven't looked back.

This works because the low beam relay is powered by the top red/black wire, in the low position, power is fed from the main headlight on/off switched red/yellow wire to the low beam (and fog) relay(s).

When switched to high, the red/yellow instead feeds the yellow high beam relay wire. This shuts off the low/fog relays. Jumpering the two red's keeps the low/fog relays fed when switched to high beams.

The Blue/Orange wire is a constant +12V allowing momentary flashing of the high beams regardless if the headlight switch is on or off.

The principal is the same on most other vehicles, including newer computerized models as switching is done before the SJB. All you need to figure out is what wire feeds the low from the swiched headlight wire and join them together.