Lightning, Harley-Davidson F-150, Roush F-150 & Saleen F-150 SVT Ford F150 Lightning, Roush, Saleen and other performance F150's

How reliable are 2nd gen lightnings?

Search this Thread

Old 01-05-2010, 09:10 PM
1998F150XLT
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
How reliable are 2nd gen lightnings?

Hey guys I don't post much but Iv read a little bit and I am looking to get an 01-04 as my DD hopefully soon, and was wondering how reliable they are. My 98 5.4 has been great and is still kickin with no issues at 163k, but I'm wondering if the lightning would be the same deal. I read this in another thread and was wondering why the OD should be off (did he mean if you're doing a top speed run?), as well as why the bottom end would scatter when warm in cold weather, did he mean no wot when then engine is cold? I would like to put a true duel exhaust with headers and all that jazz, an intake and up the boost a bit, and of course add a nice tune. Nothing crazy, just give it a little kick for DD, but it seems almost like the truck can't hold up to stock power based on the below post is this true?

Originally Posted by slammedi'am
The price on them have dropped and it maybe hard to find one a true virgin truck.If you do you are going to pay a lil extra for it.The only thing you need to watch out for is when you do a WOT always take the OD off.And if you live where it gets pretty cold,do not do a WOT with the engine warm.You will scatter the bottom end.

Old 01-06-2010, 04:55 PM
slammedi'am
Senior User
Mine is used as a DD during the warm weather.It has almost 122k miles on it and i dont have any problems.

As on the od being off,you do not want to do a WOT on it and it be in od.Its too hard on the engine with the power.The stock bottom ends are only good for about 500 hp.The internals are strong but not that strong.

The reason why I do not drive mine during the winter is that Im pushing 500 hp and about 14-15 lbs of boost during warm weather.The cold actually makes it boost more and the sudden burst of cold air into the warm engine,will scatter the rods.

Im sure someone else will chime in and could explain it alot better than what I have said.If you dont go to crazy and wild,you should be fine.But if you go beyond that,you can run into some problems.

Old 01-06-2010, 08:28 PM
1998F150XLT
Senior User
Ok the WOT thing makes sense, cold air is mother natures free hp, and on top of that, cold stuff on hot stuff is bad. But as far as the OD thing, wouldn't it just downshift to first or second like it would without the OD on? I feel like I'm going to be scared to get on this thing.

Also are there a lot of hard to get parts or is most everything still available?

Old 01-07-2010, 11:07 AM
Stewart_H
Super Moderator
Received 86 Likes on 79 Posts
AFAIK, nothing has been obsoleted parts wise on these baby's, so OEM parts are still plentiful. Plus, the aftermarket parts world is an abundant crop for these beasts.

When it comes to wide open runs, depending where you are in the RPM band, taking the truck out of OD first keeps the engine either in third when you go WOT, or it will only kick down one gear when going WOT.

The reason you wanna do this is because if you're in OD when you mash the gas, and your trans downshifts to second instead of third, you can create a lean condition where the tune can't demand enough fuel for a moment. Going too lean with the stress and demand of the WOT, with the high RPM's (kicking down two gears from OD to second), is what you're trying to avoid by taking the OD off first.

The thing with cold weather hurting the engines is because when a lot of guys get tuned, especially when they get dyno tuned, the air is not as dense, like it is in the winter.

Colder air is more dense, which can cause a lean condition to exist if your tune is already "pushing the envelope" on the air fuel ratio during the summer months, especially if your timing is set high.

For this reason, some guys will have "Winter tunes" for their trucks.

Stewart

Old 01-07-2010, 09:40 PM
1998F150XLT
Senior User
Originally Posted by Stewart_H
AFAIK, nothing has been obsoleted parts wise on these baby's, so OEM parts are still plentiful. Plus, the aftermarket parts world is an abundant crop for these beasts.

When it comes to wide open runs, depending where you are in the RPM band, taking the truck out of OD first keeps the engine either in third when you go WOT, or it will only kick down one gear when going WOT.

The reason you wanna do this is because if you're in OD when you mash the gas, and your trans downshifts to second instead of third, you can create a lean condition where the tune can't demand enough fuel for a moment. Going too lean with the stress and demand of the WOT, with the high RPM's (kicking down two gears from OD to second), is what you're trying to avoid by taking the OD off first.

The thing with cold weather hurting the engines is because when a lot of guys get tuned, especially when they get dyno tuned, the air is not as dense, like it is in the winter.

Colder air is more dense, which can cause a lean condition to exist if your tune is already "pushing the envelope" on the air fuel ratio during the summer months, especially if your timing is set high.

For this reason, some guys will have "Winter tunes" for their trucks.

Stewart
Awesome, I love having part's and an aftermarket. I've owned nothing but Ford Taurus SHO's for the past 4.5 years (5 of them at that, and currently still own 2) and getting parts is a nightmare, and the aftermarket isn't as good as it once was, although it is picking up again with the intro of the 2010 SHO. My 94 is down now because I cannot get parts, so thanks to my loving father I've been rockin the 98 150 this past week (sold it to dad 4.5 years ago) and I have to say I missed this truck. So I decided to sell one of my SHO's and get the lightning I always wanted now that I'm not 17 and have some money, and insurance is actually affordable. I don't know much about the lightning (know some about the regular 150 though) so throw as much out there for me as you guys can.

As far as the OD off thing I don't understand what the difference is from going from 4 to 2 or 3 to 2. the way I see it it will slam the gear just as hard, I just don't get it. So if someone can explain it so I can understand great, if not I'll just remember to turn the OD off, but I like to understand why if at all possible.

Oh and thanks for the good info guys I really appreciate it. I'm really looking forward to getting together at some meets with you guys in the future

Old 01-08-2010, 05:44 PM
slammedi'am
Senior User
Thanks Stewart H for the in depth explanation...I couldnt remember exactly the details of it.

Pretty much what he said when you go WOT with it in od,it creates a lean condition which isnt good on them.Stewart will prob chime back in an explain it a lil more.

Old 01-08-2010, 08:58 PM
Stewart_H
Super Moderator
Originally Posted by 1998F150XLT

As far as the OD off thing I don't understand what the difference is from going from 4 to 2 or 3 to 2. the way I see it it will slam the gear just as hard, I just don't get it
It's not the trans that it's hard on, it's the engine.

A lean condition only refers to the engine, not the transmission.

You can harm the engine if the kick-down drops two gears because the instant RPM hit requires a lot more air, but the computer commanding the corresponding additional fuel can't meet that instant demand immediately. It can take a fraction of a heartbeat to get more fuel flowing and in that instant, the additional air creates a lean condition. Since a pistons burn cycle takes a fraction of a split second to occur, it's possible to have multiple burn cycles in each cylinder that can be too lean, which can blow the engine.

You have to remember, when cruising in OD, your fuel tables are set to give the best fuel economy. That means the leanest fuel setting. If you take the OD off, and are cruising in 3rd gear, you're already commanding more fuel than while in OD, so if the trans kicks down to 2nd when you go WOT, you're much safer.

Stewart

Old 01-09-2010, 02:40 PM
1998F150XLT
Senior User
ahhhh, ok I get it now, it's the going from about 2k rpm in od to about 4k in second that kills it. Having it running 3k in 3rd then hitting 4k isnt as bad. Ok it all makes sense now, thanks for the further explanation haha.

Old 01-16-2010, 12:48 PM
dzchey21
New User
how fast is a stock 2nd gen lightning?

Old 01-16-2010, 06:41 PM
Stewart_H
Super Moderator
Quarter mile ET's have ranged from high 13's, posted by owners with bone stock L's, to low to mid 14 second ET's.

Stewart