Large Truck My truck is bigger than yours. The forum for 2+ ton trucks (all years), COE's, Louisville's, Big-Job's etc.
Old 11-20-2014, 07:43 PM
How-Tos on this Topic
Last edit by: IB Advertising
See related guides and technical advice from our community experts:

Browse all: Brake Guides
Print Wikipost

Looking for other C series owners

Search this Thread

Old 06-01-2011, 06:51 AM
Crete
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by workshoprat
I dont know why you want to get rid of the air brakes.
Probably because someone told him he needed a CDL and "air brake endorsement" if his truck had air brakes.

Old 06-01-2011, 10:24 AM
Mike-fire32
Junior User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Crete
Probably because someone told him he needed a CDL and "air brake endorsement" if his truck had air brakes.
Read the thread...his truck is rated at 34,000 lb GVW and it is equipped with air brakes and he asked if it was possible to change it to hydraulic brakes. If he wants to drive it as is, he has to obtain his CDL and pass the written air brake test, then pass the trip check portion of the practical which includes testing the air brake system. If he does not pass the test or takes the test in a vehicle not equipped with air brakes, there will be a "restriction" placed on his license that says he cannot drive a vehicle with air brakes. If you need to debate things like this, please take it to another site, as we want to get back to talking about C series Ford trucks. Thank you!

Old 06-01-2011, 10:47 AM
Mike-fire32
Junior User
Dan, I spent most of my spare time as a kid building truck models, including a C series that I kit-bashed with an AMT American LaFrance pumper. It won a 2nd place trophy at the Portland Roadster Show in 1974. I even have two unbuilt kits like yours sitting on a shelf that I purchased on ebay a couple years back.

The real reason I am interested in the Ford C series, and the fire truck I restored in particular, is that it is a truck my father designed when he was the chief of Happy Valley Fire District (just outside of Portland). The trucks were engineering marvels, equipped with features that would not be standard equipment on fire trucks for another 30 years. There were two identical trucks delivered, but in 1968, one year after my father passed away, the fire department wrecked them and they had to combine the good parts to make one truck.

It was sold in 1981, spent 17 years in Alaska before I bought it and returned it to Oregon to restore back to original condition.

The picture below shows the first of the two pumpers when it first arrived at the fire station in March of 1965, and standing in front of the truck is my father. The little kid in the baseball cap hanging onto his leg is me, just shy of five years old. This is a picture I found in 1998 in a box of my dad's paperwork that had not been seen by anyone since he passed away.

If I did not have this connection to the truck, I would never have gone to such lengths to restore it.

Attached Images  
Old 06-01-2011, 09:43 PM
Crete
Senior User
Originally Posted by Mike-fire32
If he does not pass the test or takes the test in a vehicle not equipped with air brakes, there will be a "restriction" placed on his license that says he cannot drive a commercial motor vehicle with air brakes.
Fixed it for you.

Old 06-01-2011, 11:47 PM
OIIIIIIIO
Trailering
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Well, its taken me three years to get to this point (other projects, baby, wife, house, etc.) But its finally legal, running, driving, and hauling! Bought it as a cab chassis off ebay a few years ago for $500. Score! Built the bed, 4 new drives, some tranny work, some brake work, and got rid of that ford/holly governed carb for an edelbrock 1406 ... here she is! Built it to haul my jeep, had to use it to haul my buddy's exploder with a fragged 4r55e an hour north. Did great!

Old 06-02-2011, 08:13 PM
80broncoman
Laughing Gas
Originally Posted by OIIIIIIIO
Well, its taken me three years to get to this point (other projects, baby, wife, house, etc.) But its finally legal, running, driving, and hauling! Bought it as a cab chassis off ebay a few years ago for $500. Score! Built the bed, 4 new drives, some tranny work, some brake work, and got rid of that ford/holly governed carb for an edelbrock 1406 ... here she is! Built it to haul my jeep, had to use it to haul my buddy's exploder with a fragged 4r55e an hour north. Did great!
Way cool truck.

Old 06-05-2011, 02:16 AM
Southgate
Freshman User
Yup, it's even more cool to see old iron hauling newer. Dan

Old 06-05-2011, 02:29 AM
Southgate
Freshman User
Mike, that's a pretty strong connection to the truck, I can definitely see going to the effort! And again, it is a remarkable restoration, not just a cosmetic makeover. Impressive. Gonna build another model of it? We're only about 2 years apart agewise, btw. (I was 7 in '65)

Old 09-20-2011, 09:40 PM
Garmo
New User
1981 C700

Hi Guys,

I am new to this forum as well as to the C series trucks. But ya gotta love them. I think I am too new to post pictures so that will have to wait. I hope to gain some valuable insight from you guys that know these trucks. I have questions, but I will wait till I can post pictures.
Gary

Old 09-21-2011, 05:15 PM
dmanlyr
Fleet Mechanic
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by Garmo
Hi Guys,

I am new to this forum as well as to the C series trucks. But ya gotta love them. I think I am too new to post pictures so that will have to wait. I hope to gain some valuable insight from you guys that know these trucks. I have questions, but I will wait till I can post pictures.
Gary
Gary -

Welcome to FTE and the C series!

David

Old 09-23-2011, 07:07 AM
papasmurf40
Senior User
Mike and Crete: one other thing you two both failed to notice was that Steve (Pheadrus) lives in northern Ontario and being from Ontario myself he would need a class D drivers licence(straight truck over 11000Kgs weight) plus an air brake endorsment. This is what the system is in Ontario and most other Canadian provinces. Now onto the real reason for the post, Mike, that is a beautiful restoration so far of the truck, very nice indeed. Where I'm from, near Toronto Ontario, alot of the fire departments used C Series firetrucks til about the late 70,s. Also i remember building a C Series model truck as a kid.

Old 09-29-2011, 07:26 PM
bunchgrass
Freshman User
Originally Posted by CHRIS23
You wouldn't happen to have a break down of the air system for a 73 c900 with a 477-auto tandem axle rig??
@CHRIS23 - Sorry so late in seeing this. My manuals are for 1967 Ford large trucks but there is a "general" diagram of the air system. Have you found anything yet?

Old 09-30-2011, 01:27 AM
Mike-fire32
Junior User
Hey Southgate Dan....When are you going to make the trip over to the Portland area? Love to get together to show you my rig and talk about C series. I used to travel alot and getting to Bend was a regular occasion, but its been a couple years since I have been over there, so I don't see any trips that way soon.

Old 09-30-2011, 01:36 AM
Mike-fire32
Junior User
Here is a shot of my 1964 C-1000 next to a 1973 C-950 taken at a recent fire apparatus event in Woodland, Washington.

Attached Images  
Old 09-30-2011, 05:10 PM
Southgate
Freshman User
Wow, both those fire trucks are beautiful. It's amazing how regal a C truck can look all decorated up with chrome and lights, etc.

I'll be in Portland the end of october, but on annual medical appointments for my little girl. That won't give me any time for sight "C"ing. (Just made that up) Dan

Quick Reply: Looking for other C series owners