1999 to 2016 Super Duty 1999 to 2016 Ford F250, F350, F450 and F550 Super Duty with diesel V8 and gas V8 and V10 engines
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

i want more power and your opinion

Search this Thread

Old 01-03-2010, 04:16 PM
worm5932
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
i want more power and your opinion

ok so ive got an 01 f250 7.3 psd extended cab longbed 4x4 with 125k. the truck runs good! its got a ts performance 4 bank 6 position 140 hp chip, k&n drop in filter, muffler delete pipe and no converter (dont know if it ever had one). im thinking of doing some more power upgrades but dont want to go too crazy. definitely going to upgrade the turbo wheel to eliminate surge. also thinking about a wastgate upgrade, exhaust and intake upgrade. as far as the exhaust goes, will a 4" turbo back kit really make more power than the 3.5" straight pipe ive already got? would consider 5" but dont know if the extra money is worth it. as far as the intake i have no idea what to do, ive read alot of forums that say its a waste. i have looked at the stock configuration and can see where a mod here or there will make air flow better. of course all the maufacturers claim power gains! another thing is are there any adjustments that can do make more power? this is my first diesel and i dont know alot about them but i keep reading and ive picked up alot along the way! so im sure most of you have been down a road like this and any help would be great!!

Old 01-03-2010, 06:48 PM
F350-6
Post Fiend
Received 24 Likes on 20 Posts
First thing I would do is take the lid off your air filter box and inspect the tube going back to the turbo for any signs of dirt. If you can wipe your finger inside the tube and leave a clean streak, then change the filter now before you have to buy a new motor.

Next, do you have gauges? If not, plan on adding them to your truck first. The idea behind a 4" (or 5") turbo back exhaust is to make the truck breath better and keep your EGT's down. A 4" turbo back should be fine. If you're on a budget, a DIY intake using the 6637 will get you more air in. https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/5...s-h-u-g-e.html

For more power, you can send your TS chip into Tony and let him re-burn it with some better tunes. (A 140 hp tune does not mean you get an additional 140 hp, that's just marketing) Those who have switched from TS to TDP tunes have been very happy with the power upgrade. http://www.totaldieselperformance.com/

After that I'd save the money on stuff like the wastegate (upgrading the turbo wheel is a great idea) and install a shift kit and auxillary tranny cooler to help the life of your transmission. Transgo and Sonnax both make a nice shift kit, but most of us here are more familiar with the Transo.

Scroll further down the main forum listing and stop in at the 99 - 03 7.3 diesel section. Lots of good info about these motors down there.

Old 01-03-2010, 06:57 PM
BobbyDiesel71
Postmaster
Originally Posted by worm5932
ok so ive got an 01 f250 7.3 psd extended cab longbed 4x4 with 125k. the truck runs good! its got a ts performance 4 bank 6 position 140 hp chip, k&n drop in filter, muffler delete pipe and no converter (dont know if it ever had one). im thinking of doing some more power upgrades but dont want to go too crazy. definitely going to upgrade the turbo wheel to eliminate surge. also thinking about a wastgate upgrade, exhaust and intake upgrade. as far as the exhaust goes, will a 4" turbo back kit really make more power than the 3.5" straight pipe ive already got? would consider 5" but dont know if the extra money is worth it. as far as the intake i have no idea what to do, ive read alot of forums that say its a waste. i have looked at the stock configuration and can see where a mod here or there will make air flow better. of course all the maufacturers claim power gains! another thing is are there any adjustments that can do make more power? this is my first diesel and i dont know alot about them but i keep reading and ive picked up alot along the way! so im sure most of you have been down a road like this and any help would be great!!
welcome aboard!
Where in IL are you located?
JOIN IL FTE!
need anything at all, IM me on the forum

Old 01-03-2010, 07:19 PM
bunklash
Elder User
Welcome to the forum. From what I've learned here, Chris has given you good advice. Ditto on the gages. I just got a tuner from Power Hungry Performance. Just running it on a daily driver program really runs the EGT's up quickly when i get on it. It's good to know when to back off. Stick around to learn really good stuff from really good people.

Old 01-04-2010, 08:53 PM
worm5932
Senior User
ok so i got a 6637 filter today and am working on getting my chip sent out. will be ordering guages and the compressor wheel when i get some time tomorrow hopefully. how hard of a job is the guage install? ill be doing it either way just wonder on a time frame. still wonder about exhaust?

Old 01-05-2010, 05:15 AM
stephen.osborne1
Cargo Master
Received 178 Likes on 126 Posts
Get rid of the cold air intake... Sure they give you more air, but it will mushroom your turbo fan and eventually destroy your motor... at 10,000 bucks, that's extra HP I can live without. Ford (International too) had a redesigned air box that improved air flow and filtration, which not only gives you some added power, but improved turbo/engine life. Ford dealers have them normally, but if there is an International dealer anywhere near you, you can get the same thing for much cheaper. My sister bought an 02 back in the day that someone had put a K&N on, and after only 55,000 miles, the turbo was toast and destroyed the whole motor. Good thing I was able to "persuade" the dealer to buy it back...

Old 01-05-2010, 05:56 AM
bunklash
Elder User
Gage install time varies depending on lots of stuff. I'd try to give myself most of a day to make sure it's done right. You have to drill and tap your manifold to install the EGT gage. (Put it on drivers side manifold, straight up from the ground).