N. California Chapter Join Chapter , Leader: Nighteyez

Will Not Start

Search this Thread

Old 01-02-2010, 07:31 PM
fastmover
Posting Guru
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Cool Will Not Start

The last time I used my truck (early November), it was hard to start, but it did. Last week I wanted to start it up,run a few errands and then park it in a different part of the driveway. It wouldn't start. I tried this afternoon and it still is not starting.

The situation is similar in each case. The first time, I get in and tap the gas twice, it floods and I have to wait a bit then it coughs to life. Last week, I tap the gas once, it just turns and turns (the battery is less than 8 months old). I tap the gas once more and still no luck. I can smell gas fumes and guess it is flooded again. Sometimes after releasing the key and the starter stops, the engine pops a few times and then that is it.

Today, I tried starting it without touching the gas pedal, no luck. I then hold the gas pedal part way down, no luck. I then notice the flooded smell again. DAMN. The starter is definitely turning. I checked all the wires and can't find anything loose that is obvious.

One important lesson, I need to run my truck more and I will make that a 2010 resolution. Until then though, I need to get it started. Any ideas???

Old 01-02-2010, 07:39 PM
3Mike6
Postmaster
Got spark?

If you're by yourself, hook up your timing light and get in the cab and turn it over and see of the light flashes, go ahead and hook it to a rearmost plug wire...just where I'd start...

If you have spark, might mbe time to pull the plugs and see what they look like.

Was this engine using oil?...I know you were having some problems, but don'trecall....

Also, check the tailpipes...are real they sooty? It may have been runnnig rich for some time.

Old 01-02-2010, 08:07 PM
fastmover
Posting Guru
Originally Posted by 3Mike6
Got spark?

If you're by yourself, hook up your timing light and get in the cab and turn it over and see of the light flashes, go ahead and hook it to a rearmost plug wire...just where I'd start...

If you have spark, might mbe time to pull the plugs and see what they look like.

Was this engine using oil?...I know you were having some problems, but don'trecall....

Also, check the tailpipes...are real they sooty? It may have been runnnig rich for some time.
I will try some of these. I don't have a timing light. I can check the spark plugs though. The truck does not burn oil, just leaks it. I will check to see if it is running rich. If it is, any suggestions?

Old 01-02-2010, 09:16 PM
3Mike6
Postmaster
Yeah, a few...but, check for spark first....was the new dizzy you put in used, or a new unit when you converted?

Hey, I might have to head to the Bay Area soon to take a car up to my friends house, if he can wait until next Saturday, I could swing by your place first if you'll be around and we can figure out what's going on

Old 01-02-2010, 09:19 PM
joe f350
Post Fiend
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
swap in a 6.9 one wire to the motor lol

Old 01-02-2010, 09:32 PM
nevrenufhp
Posting Guru
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Why a 6.9? go for a Cat 3408!
The dizzy is used, I gave it to him. It's a Duraspark with lighter springs. Mine cranks for a few seconds before firing, and has been sitting for the past 3 weeks, until I started it yesterday. Mine seems to evaporate the fuel after it sits very long, so I need more choke and a few pumps to start it. My only "trick" is to pump it only while cranking, so the fuel actually makes it inside.

Old 01-02-2010, 10:17 PM
fastmover
Posting Guru
i am usually happy with my 390. I will try your method of pumping the gas while cranking. If not, maybe Mike can help me with it next weekend.

Old 01-02-2010, 10:20 PM
joe f350
Post Fiend
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
for get the plugs go oil burner

Old 01-03-2010, 01:03 PM
TigerDan
Hotshot
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
It's possible that it's a problem with the Duraspark ignition control box. I seem to recall that we put in a brand new one when we did the conversion, but they are prone to going out...didn't we fix you up with a spare?

I also wasn't really happy with my wiring and felt I should redo it at some point, we were just a bit pressed for time when we did the conversion. Maybe a wire has pulled loose from one of the crimp connectors...

I'm overdue for a trip to your place anyhow, maybe we should schedule something. I have most weekends free again (finally!)

Old 01-03-2010, 10:27 PM
fastmover
Posting Guru
Originally Posted by TigerDan
I'm overdue for a trip to your place anyhow, maybe we should schedule something. I have most weekends free again (finally!)
How about this weekend, the 9th?

Old 01-04-2010, 07:54 PM
fastmover
Posting Guru
Dan stopped by this afternoon for a few minutes. After disconnecting and reconnecting stuff, it looks like either part of the distributor or maybe the coil. He thinks he may be able to stop by this weekend. Anyone else who has a curiosity and wants to poke at it is welcome too.

Old 01-09-2010, 03:07 PM
fastmover
Posting Guru
It starts. Dan stopped by this morning and we found it was a wiring problem. It is patched and will be due for a fix later. I am glad it runs now. Kudos to Dan.

Old 01-09-2010, 05:41 PM
nevrenufhp
Posting Guru
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Good you got it nailed down. Dan is a good guy, and he takes all our blame.